+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: 61 Warlock in PVP - Try it!

Default 61 Warlock in PVP - Try it!

I had been running 61 Pyro for a long time, my friend who is a rogue, runs 61 Ranger. We're fresh 65s in mostly crafted gear. For the most part, due to dying slightly more than him, we parsed the same. The Pyro is fun but felt clunky to me.

So, I tried out a 61 Warlock spec. I usually find guides to get the gist of everything before doing it all on my own. There wasn't any 61 Warlock PVP guide so I went with the latest 3.0 PVE one I could find.

It is great! My damage is now much higher than most people on my team and sometimes in the entire match. I am still learning the class but it feels stronger and has more utility to me, than pyro, which is huge.

Two fears, debilitate, self heal, I have fun with it. Maybe in the future someone will make a detailed guide for it, it definitely deserves it!

Happy gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Visionmaker View Post
    I had been running 61 Pyro for a long time, my friend who is a rogue, runs 61 Ranger. We're fresh 65s in mostly crafted gear. For the most part, due to dying slightly more than him, we parsed the same. The Pyro is fun but felt clunky to me.

So, I tried out a 61 Warlock spec. I usually find guides to get the gist of everything before doing it all on my own. There wasn't any 61 Warlock PVP guide so I went with the latest 3.0 PVE one I could find.

It is great! My damage is now much higher than most people on my team and sometimes in the entire match. I am still learning the class but it feels stronger and has more utility to me, than pyro, which is huge.

Two fears, debilitate, self heal, I have fun with it. Maybe in the future someone will make a detailed guide for it, it definitely deserves it!

Happy gaming.
    spreading dots doesnt mean, oh **** it good for you.

Sword of Telara

Just because you're topping the damage charts doesn't mean it's amazing. If the enemy team have any kind of raid healing then they will be able to heal most of it off: if you ran a ST spec rather than warlock then they'd be overhealing everyone for the amount of damage you do instead, effectively negating your fluff damage. Same thing goes for 61SC, too.

If they have only ST healers then sure, it's effective, but don't assume that numbers are everything. KBs are a fairly good measure but then again there are specs with crazy bursts that are worse than others for topping KBs (oracle/shaman hybrids vs inquisitor, for instance).

Also, how are you finding warlock's utility to be better than pyro's? The sheer number of CCs pyro has is pretty hard to beat, along with flicker and ride the wind if you spec into SC.

It's pretty good once your completely familiar with the spec and have gear. Wavestrike has 90k health and was actually BURSTING healer better then I could as a pyro and then had a sustainable dps afterward.
    Dogkin@seastone<the cult> - RIP <wipe>
    Dogkin@vigil <Dawn of Terror>
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing man View Post
    Women in pvp are a rare breed compared to your average soccer mom grinding mats for her children.

Between raid healers, AOE cleanses, and the single target cleanse (w/ mastery)... CY@@@@@@ dots

I never found DoTs that effective in WFs. Just sayin...
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

Quote Originally Posted by Rheven View Post
    nothing other than burst damage is effective in PvP, ever, assuming competent players of course.

inb4cqispvptoobads
    Last edited by SprawlnBrawl; 01-15-2015 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheven View Post
    It's effective if you've got no healers near where you're fighting. Die to a Warrior who you almost killed? Lol maybe dots will kill him too.

But when you've got semi-competent healers, DoTs are ineffective unless you have a Dom to compliment said DoTs.

The speed at which you can reapply the dots, transfer them, and how hard it drops people are all pretty amazing. I don't know what warfronts you guys play but people aren't always on top of their healers, especially in codex.

The way I play warlock is pretty similar to a raid spec with more CCs on my bar. The rotation is also based around watching dots tick to a certain point and then reapplying them, while pressing the main macro, until that time comes.

Very few times, if ever, do I see my main dots being purged off. It does happen, sure. But more often I see them remain. Additionally, the guys who aren't being purged start to run into the distance - likely used to ST DPS, hoping by ranging me the damage will drop. They soon find themselves beyond their healer range behind their own team with dots ticking them until they die.

You also have serious mitigation capabilities that Pyromancer just lacks. Namely Neddra's Essence which is an 80% reduction to damage for 7s. Two interrupts, one being a debilitate, two Fears, one ST, one mass fear (5 people).

The Warlock has been noted as being very good this patch by more than just me:

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...p-warlock.html

Additionally, Grim seems to be interested in making a Warlock guide as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK_gsp6LzMY

I believe you guys are underestimating this spec.
    Last edited by Visionmaker; 01-15-2015 at 12:12 PM.

In the warfronts I've healed, I can't keep up with the cleanses, so either the others aren't cleansing or the rate of detrimental spells is greater than the aggregate rate of cleanses. With the large number of inquisitors in warfronts, adding in a warlock isn't a terrible thing. All those scourge, sh, vex, etc won't get cleansed.

I've been in warfronts where warlocks easily top the charts in damage by several hundred thousand damage. Killing blows aren't as high as pyri, ranger, inq, paragon, nb, shaman, but they soften up the opponent for someone else to snipe the kb.

Quote Originally Posted by asianguywithacamera View Post
    In the warfronts I've healed, I can't keep up with the cleanses, so either the others aren't cleansing or the rate of detrimental spells is greater than the aggregate rate of cleanses. With the large number of inquisitors in warfronts, adding in a warlock isn't a terrible thing. All those scourge, sh, vex, etc won't get cleansed.

I've been in warfronts where warlocks easily top the charts in damage by several hundred thousand damage. Killing blows aren't as high as pyri, ranger, inq, paragon, nb, shaman, but they soften up the opponent for someone else to snipe the kb.
    I feel like this is the case in many Warfronts. That damage is going somewhere, however people want to sugar coat it, it's still damage done. I don't know how often a healer can AOE cleanse per character but I know my dots are getting cleansed less than they are ticking.

Quote Originally Posted by Visionmaker View Post
    I feel like this is the case in many Warfronts. That damage is going somewhere, however people want to sugar coat it, it's still damage done. I don't know how often a healer can AOE cleanse per character but I know my dots are getting cleansed less than they are ticking.
    Most healers (sent, phys, chloro) will group cleanse every 10 seconds and it'll just remove one detrimental effect. Purifier cleanses everything. Bards and oracle, and if I remember correctly warden, remove 1 every several seconds. Defilet lacks a group cleanse. You won't find many 'cons in warfronts, so they aren't a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by asianguywithacamera View Post
    Most healers (sent, phys, chloro) will group cleanse every 10 seconds and it'll just remove one detrimental effect. Purifier cleanses everything. Bards and oracle, and if I remember correctly warden, remove 1 every several seconds. Defilet lacks a group cleanse. You won't find many 'cons in warfronts, so they aren't a factor.
    you're forggeting that masteries give the ability to remove more than one dot.

Quote Originally Posted by zasen View Post
    you're forggeting that masteries give the ability to remove more than one dot.
    And three of the ST cleanses (Chloro, Sent, Phys) can also heal off of a cleanse. I don't mind playing Defiler that much with Doms now because of the cleanse mastery. It's a godsend.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Riane View Post
    Between raid healers, AOE cleanses, and the single target cleanse (w/ mastery)... CY@@@@@@ dots
    I don't know how many healing souls have a cleanse that also provides a minor heal. Chloro certainly does.

Getting chased by a pyro unloading his CDs is a harrowing experience. A warlock, in contrast, would give me more healing than he would damage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast