+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dodges and misses

Default dodges and misses

why is this still in the game get rid of it already.

Quote Originally Posted by wickede View Post
    why is this still in the game get rid of it already.
    dodges and misses-1421035327184.gif
    10/char
    Dogkin@seastone<the cult> - RIP <wipe>
    Dogkin@vigil <Dawn of Terror>
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing man View Post
    Women in pvp are a rare breed compared to your average soccer mom grinding mats for her children.

Rift Chaser

the blade dancer in me disagrees. In fact dodge isn't strong enough.

Dodge should affect physical and magic attacks. You use Side Steps now in some mass PVP, and you realize it isn't as good as it sounds.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
    Dodge should affect physical and magic attacks. You use Side Steps now in some mass PVP, and you realize it isn't as good as it sounds.
    What's the basis for dodging magic attacks? Curious, because any justification implies you can dodge any/all arrows.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Scaramuccia View Post
    What's the basis for dodging magic attacks? Curious, because any justification implies you can dodge any/all arrows.
    im pretty sure arrows of physical nature can be dodged, not too sure though.

what makes magic so special though.....now if say a strafe can be dodged which i think it can be, why cant a fireball?

i always liked dodge in all MMO's, It's an RNG gimmick for survival, but in Rift it is pretty weak imo, as far as PVP goes.

Shield of Telara

I guess I think it'd be a little ******ed to have resist and dodge for magic, whereas physical attacks aren't double penalized.

Rift Disciple

Which is why warrior is garbage atm. Everything can be dodged.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
    the blade dancer in me disagrees. In fact dodge isn't strong enough.
    i don't think you fully understand how the bladedancer soul works

you can. you can also dodge non physical "melee" attacks, ranged or otherwise, like literally everything from the shaman or druid tree.

I guess I think it'd be a little ******ed to have resist and dodge for magic, whereas physical attacks aren't double penalized.
    physical attacks are double penalized, by misses and dodges. spells can only be resisted.

these mechanics get really fun as shaman, since you can actually run into all three. your regular attacks can be missed or dodged, but deep freeze is counted as a spell, so it can be resisted. imagine hitting deep freeze and seeing Deep Freeze (Resisted, there goes your 50% damage boost and your stun), Massive Blow (Dodged), Jolt (Missed), etc.
    Last edited by ecru; 01-12-2015 at 07:07 AM.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post
    what makes you think i don't understand.

My combat log speaks for itself, when it comes to my dodge rate.

I followed your link, it took me to your post about random misses, which I agree is massively stupid unless it is a dodge (I forget how the attacker sees it). But How are physical attacks double penalized against a person's dodge? First time I heard that.

In any case, I maintain my opinion......dodge should apply to magic projectiles as well....let resist just reduce damage only. Blade dancer is "mostly" terrible in PVP and the borked dodge mechanic might be why.

---Just so you know that I'm not making stuff up as I go...my mage is Stormchild, my rogue was Corrosive, Bloodbucket now though lvl 61 only. I trained SL PVP hard and blade dancer is one of my favorites

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post
    these mechanics get really fun as shaman, since you can actually run into all three. your regular attacks can be missed or dodged, but deep freeze is counted as a spell, so it can be resisted. imagine hitting deep freeze and seeing Deep Freeze (Resisted, there goes your 50% damage boost and your stun), Massive Blow (Dodged), Jolt (Missed), etc.
    Those aren't double penalized. They're different rolls. Unless you're trying to tell me your Massive Blow is being resisted and dodged. In which I would have to congratulate you. I guess being fallacious is cool now, because I was just blocked dodged missed resisted and parried my own ranged attack.

RNG can be fun in PvP (in the form of powerful procs). To be honest though, to really create a competitive environment that leans more towards being fair and even, should have little to 0 RNG involved. Just what I think though. The outcome should almost always be the input of your button chain at the time you did it. I played the heaviest nuke mage in eq2 where PvP was loaded with misses/resists. It was pretty corny when someone at 15% hp, and your longest cast speed heavy nuke takes a resist - then you die to some < 1s cast speed attack.

Pretty much why I hated PvP in that game. Playing your class helped, but what helped was if your root landed and if your big nukes got resisted or not. That dictated your outcome often. Annoying. PvP, in any genre of gaming, should be straight forward and pure combat? At least when it comes to enemies colliding. Just don't see where RNG has a place. Some of the biggest successors I don't recall having much RNG factor. Opposite really, things were like clockwork and if you could execute, you could do so.
    Last edited by Violacea; 01-12-2015 at 11:54 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

+ Reply to Thread