• 1 Post By Baald
  • 1 Post By Stormchild
  • 2 Post By oddiescell
  • 1 Post By Filri
  • 1 Post By DeadMoney
  • 1 Post By Wrastion

Thread: PVP Concerns: Life after Prestige 100

Default PVP Concerns: Life after Prestige 100

Played Rift since beta and have only PvP’d the entire time. Fell in love with Rift because it was the best MMO option that provided PvE and PvP content. I’m particularly into canned PvP(Warfronts/CQ) over world gank fests like Arche Age.

At first I was put out over the gear revamp that removed valor /vengeance much like alot of PvPers, some of who have left and some that are still here. PvPing from 60 to 65 I began to see that the gear revamp actually works well and now really like it. Of course with any major change comes new issues.

The team that balanced out the 3.0 gear did a fantastic job.

The team that was tasked to revamp the 3.0 PvP experience in general really dropped the ball in my opinion. Removing valor/vengeance clearly put PvPers at a gear disadvantage. With more weekly token quests available to PvEers and raid gear on top of that it’s just a Rift 3.0 fact.

I really don’t even have a problem with that so much as a PvP only player. I used to end game raid like crazy in a previous MMO. I realize the need to cater to the PvE crowd to a point. I just feels to me that Rift 3.0 PvP in general wasn’t thought out that well.

First concern is with favor after level 65. It still has a purpose but hardly anymore. All you can spend favor buffs, cosmetics, and the Infused Accelerators used to upgrade the warfront gear you get in the chests when you win.

Problem is that the warfront gear in the chests is mostly garbage not worth the effort to upgrade aside from the accessories and trinket. The armor and weapons just are bad. Crafting gear is better. I have 135 Favor Infused Accelerators in my inventory. Now at Prestige 100 I have no use or need for favor.

Rift 3.0 basically make favor irrelevant. No real need for favor has diminished the PvPer only experience. No real need for favor means people don’t PvP as much. CQ populations is proof of this.

Second concern is with the gear that’s attainable for PvPer only players at level 65. The Abyssal weapons that can be purchased with tokens are just bad and are the only weapons available aside from the warfront chest junk. Anyone who PvE’s will generally have better weapons unless a PvPer only player was lucky enough to get the item they needed in the recent Fae Yule Sparkle Chest quest.

The Abyssal armor that can be purchased I suppose is worth getting for a fresh level 65 but I think you’re better off with basic crafting armor. It’s not worth the effort to upgrade the Abyssal gear with accelerators/amenders since you be replacing it Frost Keeper gear.

Last concern is with Prestige. Rift 3.0 has made prestige obsolete aside from the title you get at level 100. This is the one the bothers me the most as a PvP only player. Prestige should’ve a stayed the same as Storm Legion meaning that once you get to level 100 warfront dailies should have a token increase and new tiers of gear should be available.

I beg for Trion to bring back the attainable gear via token/favor system that was used in Storm Legion. Removing valor/vengeance was a great idea that allows everyone to work on one set of gear to play every aspect of Rift. I get it.

The PvP only experience has been diminished big time in my opinion, but could be fixed really easy just by giving Prestige/Favor a similar purpose as it used to have.
    Last edited by DeadMoney; 01-09-2015 at 08:02 AM.
    “…the devil haunts a hungry man. If you don’t want to join him, you got to beat him. I ain’t sayin I beat the devil…but I drank his beer for nothing. Then I stole his song"

Rift Disciple

I made rank 99 today and feel your pain big big. I may hang it up when I get to 100 and retire my 4 year career in MMO-ism. Maybe I'll take up painting......there's a paint can and roller with my name on it. Literally.

I tried CQ again and it's the single most boring thing in RIFT. I'd rather kill cows than CQ.

Rift Chaser

@Deadmoney

Well said, however I disagree that they got the gear system right. They need to bring a PVP system back. They didn't get all-purpose gear system right, they are treating PVP as a mini game, but I'm with you with everything else. I wish the PVPers who called this out early would've used more tact and politics. Let's argue for change.

Shield of Telara

Prestige 100 should be more than a title for sure. Congrats for grinding MILLIONS of favor...you get nothing. Heck if you complete hammerkell or RoS you get a special mount at least, give me a break.
    Ezuen@Faeblight<Godlike Awesomeness> lvl 65 p100 warrior
    aka "The Healing Warrior" (before it was cool)

couldn't care less about pvp rank, pvp balance and less gear grind is what matters.

Shield of Telara

Gear grind has been 90% taken care of because nte are so easy. If you can do 25k dps in dungeons you can kill players in pvp outside of premades.
    Ezuen@Faeblight<Godlike Awesomeness> lvl 65 p100 warrior
    aka "The Healing Warrior" (before it was cool)

Champion

old system with prestige gear with vengeance was way better, imo

<Transcendent>

In Storm Legion the gear structure for PvP was perfect. Rank 70...Rank 80...etc, when you hit those levels new gear was available. Removing Valor/Vengeance should not have to affect that structure.

Again my point of view is from a PvP only player. Sometimes I do Rifts but not often. Again I also really like them removing Valor/Vengeance. It opens up the game for everyone. I agree with the sentiment that Trion is turning PvP into a mini game.

What they could/need to do to fix this is simply bring back the relevance of prestige, maybe even get rid of favor for all I care, and return to the Storm Legion prestige gear system.

Anyone now anything about PvP changes in 3.1?? Love this game so I'm going to be patient for now. Been playing too long. Four years of Rift and 3.0 seems to me to be the worst version for people who play like me. CQ populations I believe attests to that.

Just need a minor tweak.
    “…the devil haunts a hungry man. If you don’t want to join him, you got to beat him. I ain’t sayin I beat the devil…but I drank his beer for nothing. Then I stole his song"

Rift Disciple

Actually, the Myrmm upgrade system was broken. Playing an hour or so a night, I'd have never been able to upgrade gear. In 3.0 I bought the gear with cash because I can afford it and I've played for 4 years so it's not like I didn't earn it.

(My other hobbies are much more expensive than Rift...lol)

Part of me hopes PvP is fixed and CQ dies a bastard's death because I really hate painting.

Quote Originally Posted by oddiescell View Post
    PVE Gear grind has been 90% taken care of because nte are so easy. If you can do 25k dps in dungeons you can kill players in pvp outside of premades.
    fixed.
    this might also become true for the pvp gear grind if daglar keeps throwing us a bone from time to time like he did this week. apparently his new year's resolution is to be almost nice and less cynical towards pvpers.... way to go.

Sometimes i dont understand you guys PvP only player...Is doing IA too hard for you guys? is tagging 4x boss too hard? Joining Group activities like DRR too hard also? im not here to bash you guys but RIFT got lots of content to offer aside from PvP..try em all
    They dont cater to PvE or PvP they cater to all of us.

Happy Rifting

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by littlepoit View Post
    couldn't care less about pvp rank, pvp balance and less gear grind is what matters.
    I dont even look at my prestige rank. It's completely pointless.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by mics001 View Post
    Sometimes i dont understand you guys PvP only player...Is doing IA too hard for you guys? is tagging 4x boss too hard? Joining Group activities like DRR too hard also? im not here to bash you guys but RIFT got lots of content to offer aside from PvP..try em all
    They dont cater to PvE or PvP they cater to all of us.

Happy Rifting
    A pvp wf pops relatively quickly. A pve player can "get those out of the way" in a decent amount of time.

Queing solo for pve takes hours on average. Then you get a group that is derpy, the healer argues with the tank, or people can't cut it. Then its back into hours-long ques. While the easy thing to say is join a pve guild the better question is why did my pvp guild go from 20-25 people on nightly to 4?

As far as "can we pvp players do pve" the answer is yes, of course. I'm around 30k average dps just sitting on ST souls not even trying aoe souls to fluff the numbers. Some fights I've gotten to 40k, and I've 3 purples, no synergy crystal, and no upgrade parts sine I've not got the rep yet. My first two experts ever I healed and we made it through both without too much of an issue once I learned the boss mechanics of what to do/not do. The issue isn't doing them, its that I'm spending more time trying to get pve gear then doing my particular avenue of play, which is completely backwards.

Honestly they should have just kept a little vengeance on the pvp gear with vengeance increasing with upgrades and WOW, you have pvp gear different from pve gear that you get which is BIS for what you go for. No crossover really. The runes should have always been in rep; i.e. they should have added higher tiers of the same existing wf's we've had for years anyways and added pvp (vengeance and endurance) runes to them. Seriously, was that hard?

There was no revamping of pvp-it was purely cutting out pvp efforts. The streamlining was to say we are abandoning pvp save for poorly thought out boxes and just doing it easy-making everything for pve.
    Last edited by Wrastion; 01-10-2015 at 05:49 PM.

+ Reply to Thread