+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3.1 - No PvP Gear? Equal gear for everyone?

Default 3.1 - No PvP Gear? Equal gear for everyone?

Since there is no PvP gear anymore, one thing I haven't seen anyone suggest is simply bolstering everyone to the exact same piece of gear, regardless of what you're wearing be it stronger or weaker. PvPers that don't want to raid don't have to, whilst working on their PvE set slower than normal players and Raider's won't have an advantage over player's who don't have the time to raid or simply don't enjoy doing much PvE content. I remember when this change was introduced I believe the dev's said that true skill would show with this current system because the gear gap would be small. Well that's obviously not the case, as we can see with the outcries months after release of NT. With this system everyone is equal and the better players will win, that's what PvP is about. I honestly don't see how anyone can disagree with this system if PvP exclusive gear is to remain discontinued from the game.
    Last edited by DrainHeart; 01-04-2015 at 04:58 PM.

Then raiders couldn't do anything in wf's and would complain about daily wf's giving raid marks. The result would be trion removing raid marks from warfronts.

Rift Disciple

Progression systems allow for the theatrical illusion of skill. People seeking this theatrical illusion have always been the primary demographic for MMOs. This is why MMOs have generally gotten easier over time. Stronger adherence to the illusion increases revenues.

Generally speaking, you don't want to remove progression systems.

I have to disagree with this suggestion only because I'd like to see Rift live on.

Rahka@Wolfsbane

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by DrainHeart View Post
    Since there is no PvP gear anymore, one thing I haven't seen anyone suggest is simply bolstering everyone to the exact same piece of gear, regardless of what you're wearing be it stronger or weaker. PvPers that don't want to raid don't have to, whilst working on their PvE set slower than normal players and Raider's won't have an advantage over player's who don't have the time to raid or simply don't enjoy doing much PvE content. I remember when this change was introduced I believe the dev's said that true skill would show with this current system because the gear gap would be small. Well that's obviously not the case, as we can see with the outcries months after release of NT. With this system everyone is equal and the better players will win, that's what PvP is about. I honestly don't see how anyone can disagree with this system if PvP exclusive gear is to remain discontinued from the game.
    I think this is how Guild Wars 2 PvP already works.

There is a lot of factors that go into balancing PvP, and believe it or not gear is punitive to the outcome of most matches. The one match up where gear is probably the most relative in balancing the equation is when both sides have even skill level(barely ever occurs) and when both teams use the same specs(barely ever occurs.) The biggest factor is still coordinated play.

Since there is no PvP gear anymore, one thing I haven't seen anyone suggest is simply bolstering everyone to the exact same piece of gear, regardless of what you're wearing be it stronger or weaker. PvPers that don't want to raid don't have to
    Exactly this! Since PvP progression has been completely hosed. Lets get rid of gearing differences completely: the generic whatever.
    Last edited by Rheven; 01-05-2015 at 07:50 AM.
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

i'd like for people who want gear unification to suggest stats for all classes/souls. will there be different healing and dps sets? endurance heavy sets? sets geared towards sp or ap, or crit power instead?

better yet, why do you trust trion not to screw up gear unification in pvp with their long history of itemization problems, which have persisted even through 3.0?
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Normalization/ gear unification was already attempted and failed. I'm surprised that the Devs didn't see the backlash coming from removing PvP specific gear. Let's face it, the majority of players want to feel like their content is special with its own progression, the devs killed that for PVP. Actually, it doesn't surprise me.

+ Reply to Thread