+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rikalus

Thread: I Need Help!

Soulwalker

Default I Need Help!

I keep on dying on PvP and warfronts, because the enemy keeps on running around me and I can't hit them! Any tips?

bind all your abilities to your keys and use your mouse to turn, otherwise go back to LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Xantharis View Post
    I keep on dying on PvP and warfronts, because the enemy keeps on running around me and I can't hit them!
    Thats very un-sporting of them.

Any tips?
    Kill them.
    Rikalus. Retired lvl 60 P76 Noob Mage. Bloodiron *Blue Team*
    Per Incendia Ego Perussi

Default Well

I keep on dying on PvP and warfronts, because the enemy keeps on running around me and I can't hit them! Any tips?
    What class are you and whats your spec ... that will determine the best way to handle melee attacks.

Generally speaking ...

If your ranged dps keep range via ports or roots or stuns or speed pots or a combination of all of the above proper positioning is more important often times than anything else.

If you are melee ... my advice would be to not be melee atm unless you run with a healer or run sin / sin/nb for perma stealth and slip away - you may think its the dps on you killing you but unless you carefully look at your combat log chances are you were also getting hit by a pyro / inq / or ranger

Lastly if your a fresh 65 you could be in terrible gear with empty slots and anyone could be killing you whether they run in circles or not - we don't know from your post how geared or not geared you are.

The current meta is range > melee by a significant margin if your gearing don't fight city hall every calling except Warrior has a range spec that is relatively simple and high dps warrior has Tempest and Riftblade ... both very meh atm, and Paragon that is high dps but needs a pocket healer to really shine
    Last edited by Fallse; 12-29-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Soulwalker

Default Reply:

I'm a warrior lvl 25 with a premade soul righteous defender. I have planar armor and astral blade.

Oh, also, how do u turn with ur mouse? Someone said that i don't know how.
    Last edited by Xantharis; 01-03-2015 at 11:58 PM.

Rift Disciple

I'm not sure why people run around me most times. I miss so rarely that I often wonder if I've ever missed and it was just my imagination. I can pivot much faster than anyone can run. and If they use the more clever tactic of running through me, lag will prevent that tactic from being successful if I respond any faster than a 90 year old man. Ah yes, ppl hate to acknowledge the effects of lag, but this is one of the most glorious effects. sorry runners.

Ascendant

Learning to turn with your mouse is optimal.

That being said I'm stubborn and still keyboard turn.

That being said the only time someone can run around/through me is when I'm rooted.

That being said you can actually....

jump a lot if you use awsd, which lets you turn in the air. Turning in the air lets you constantly face your target. I actually jump backwards, hopping left to right as I jump, and constantly turn to face my targets, even the speed boosted warriors running at a million miles an hour. I imagine its very frustrating to those players trying to los my facing and they cant. On the other end I run circles around players who can't face me as well when I'm dps, so its a standard tactic.

Go with what Sprawl said if you want to spend the time to learn the optimal way. If not, I've seen some excellent players who click and utilize the keyboard to move, but in general most don't know the above tactic that I found works wonderfully. I play melee on a lot of souls and perform just fine. i.e. what I'm saying works great, despite naysayers (who probably dont even know what I'm talking about anyways). Youll see me kiting this way on all my toons-to include healing souls.

I'm a warrior lvl 25 with a premade soul righteous defender. I have planar armor and astral blade.

Oh, also, how do u turn with ur mouse? Someone said that i don't know how.
    You have to go into settings and make some changes. Their are guides on the forum on how to set that up. ------ http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...d-pvp-pve.html

If you are level 25, just understand that balancing of classes is a little out of whack until you get into the 60's. At certain early levels, some classes will outshine others.

Also, take the time in the early levels to learn your class - tons of builds and info on the forums to help with that. The premade builds are there to help new folks with ideas and leveling in PVE. They may/may not help much in PVP. You will have to find builds for PVP. Dig into your class discussion on the forums and in the PVP builds section. Until you are level 65 you won't have all the possible abilities for your class so you might have some tough stretches until you reach the top level. Just remember, that goes for everyone in every class - so you are not alone in your issue.
    -Hello Kitty-
    Meepz@Deepwood
    Primalmeepz@Deepwood

Soulwalker

Thanks so much guys! You've really helped me out!

Telaran

People like to run in circles like that in every game like Rift. And you can see exactly why -- makes it harder for just starting players to attack them.

Yes, it is kind of dumb to even have it in the game. For real, boxers and MMA fighter don't do it. Some games (DDO, City of Heroes) have you stay in place to attack (so you can attack, then sidestep.) Or you can use your run skill, or attack skills, but not both.

Some things to do:

o You can learn to do the same thing. You know how you can hold a button down and "look around" with the mouse? That also turns you (depending which button.) And, you can do that same turn while you run. And you can turn on/off "run" with a side-mouse button.

At first, you'll just be looking all around, up/down, zig-zags, completely dizzy not knowing which way you're facing, and will even forget how to stop running and go over cliffs. Just like anything else, it gets easier with practice.

It's only good for video games, and it hurts your hand. But it might be fun to learn, just to say you did.

o Put some sort of snare (which means "slow" in the game) on them, if you have one.

o Back up to a wall. They will stick to you, trying to circle. I had one guy get so confused they forgot to attack me.

o Turn while you move. Just walking backwards and turning will make them have to run further to get behind you. Even better, run sideways and turn. This is called a "circle strafe" (which is what they're doing to you.)

Find a small rock or post, and hold down A and E (or D and Q.) This runs sideways while turning. You should be able to run around the post, but always be facing it. You may need to go to the computer settings (not Rift, the real computer) and increase the key-repeat speed (it will make you turn faster.)

You may also want to change where the movement keys are. This is a real thing -- any serious work program lets you do this -- so it's an actual useful thing to practice.

Most of the guys running in circles aren't any smarter than you are. If you side-run while turning, they automatically chase you and stay pretty much in front. You can often lead them back to your friends, since they are so busy trying to circle you, they don't know where they are.

o Don't use the backwards move key. Instead, Turn and run sideways away from them.

For no reason, almost all games have you run sideways at normal speed, but you run backwards slower. So skipping sideways away from someone is faster than running backwards. Just try not to imagine how ridiculous that is for real.

o If your lag is bad enough (don't have a high-speed internet connection) and you aren't liking this turny stuff, play a ranged spec.

With bad lag, anyone can zig-zag away from you, and you'll only hit every 3rd attack, so close-ranged classes are just annoying.

A mage still sometimes has the same problem -- not being able to attack someone circling them, but there are some abilities to just knock them away.

Soulwalker

Default 1855

theres nothing u can do-..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWV9aLtHKlU

Rift Disciple

I find that runners often like to imagine their tactics are much more successful than they are. This is because from their computer screen's perspective, they are being very successful! But the problem that a lot of folks have is that they don't realize that their screen is only a suggestion for what might be happening.

What's actually happening only occurs on the server and their screen doesn't show them that. In an ideal world it's 100ms or less off from reality, but it's not going to be reality. Everyone has lag. It's only a question of how much lag. Just because your screen doesn't show me facing you doesn't mean that I'm not . Always remember that, not just for MMOs but for any online game!

OP: just hold down your right mouse button and rotate. It can be dizzying sometimes if they got speed boost, but you can slow down the necessary rotation by side stepping in circles back at them.
    Last edited by Mintyman; 01-04-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slavlord View Post
    theres nothing u can do-..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWV9aLtHKlU
    What is the correlation between Grim's state of PvP and someone circle strafing around their opponent so they can't be hit?
    MMO VAULT (Video Game Music) ➜ https://www.youtube.com/c/VideoGameMusicSoundtrack

+ Reply to Thread