+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: WF by Rank vs Gear

Rift Disciple

Default WF by Rank vs Gear

Are the parameters for joining a wf by rank or equipment?

none of the above, if by rank you mean prestige rank.

I'm not going to even attempt to try and explain the current match making system. I don't care to waste the couple of hours it would require.

in short, you get geared/high ranked players in the same matched as under geared/low ranked players, and no one is happy.

you might like to search these forums for more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Soulwalker

The only thing that the match making system has done is create a rift between the pve players and the pvp players.

The only fighting between players now is the flame wars in wfs.

Quote Originally Posted by UMMMMMM View Post
    The only thing that the match making system has done is create a rift between the pve players and the pvp players.

The only fighting between players now is the flame wars in wfs.
    oh, that's always been there, though not as prevalent.
    the "problem" so to speak, is that the PvEers "don't know the fights", to put it in pve terms.
    they simply run to the middle of the map and try to hide behind each other while the game is won or lost around them.

Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    they simply run to the middle of the map and try to hide behind each other while the game is won or lost around them.
    They should have rolled something other than Warriors.

Rift Disciple

My toon is rank 97 but I play with rank 35 more often or not. The rank 35 has better gear than me and I got all relic gear.

That tells me that wf admission is based on gear not experience. That sucks. My ranking up is meaningless.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Baald View Post
    My toon is rank 97 but I play with rank 35 more often or not. The rank 35 has better gear than me and I got all relic gear.

That tells me that wf admission is based on gear not experience. That sucks. My ranking up is meaningless.
    Prestige has nothing to do with experience. I've seen players with half as much time in PvP with higher ranks then others.

It's just a number, and like everything else, there's just ways to get more of it faster, without learning a damn thing. Like say, hiding in the Conquest Zerg spamming an AoE heal.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

Quote Originally Posted by Baald View Post

its not based on gear either.

saying "since its not based on rank so it must be based on gear" makes about as much sense as saying "its not based on rank so it must be based on ferrets".

perhaps a Dev might like to come in here and shed some light on the system (Ocho, go wake up Archonix and tell him to come introduce himself, he's going to have to come in here some time, might as well be here and now).

Soulwalker

If it's not based on gear how in the world does a player in full raid gear with weapons flat out do more dmg than I do without? Same main soul.

Depending on the ability players in raid gear will hit for at least 2-3k more per shot on average, obviously it depends on the ability used as well. That's not skill, that's just I'm going to pound your face in cuz I have better gear.

we're not talking about the players effect, but the matchmaking system.

there is a hidden ELO ranking system (google it). it is not prestige rank. you don't know what your ELO rank is. you don't know what another players ELO rank is. that's the point of it being hidden.

winning, doing things that promotes winning, and performing well will raise your ELO rank
    losing and performing poorly will lower your ELO rank.

matchmaking uses this hidden ELO rank on a player by player basis.
    what this means is that the system picks the first player in the queue (player A1) and finds a matching player of similar ELO rank (player A2) to match him with. player A1 is put onto one team, his opposite number (player A2) goes onto the other team.
    then the system grabs the next player in the queue (player B1) and repeats the process (matching him with player B2). no reference is made to the previous pairing (A1/A2). players are only matched against a single player who is on the opposite team.
    this means there is no matching between you and any other player on your team. the only player you are "matched" with is on the other team.

this means you will see differences in gear/prestige/skill/ferrets on your team.

there is more (high ELO players pushed into low average ELO teams... players on losing streaks pushed into "winning" teams..) but it gets even more complicated and I know/understand even less about it.

final analysis: opposing teams are technically equal. everybody is equally unhappy.

Ascendant

final analysis: opposing teams are technically equal. everybody is equally unhappy.
    Really? I've been having a good time.

There are lots more close and intense matches than there were when I took a break six months ago. I'm still getting used to the changes, but so far I'm not seeing much to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefelia View Post
    Really? I've been having a good time.

There are lots more close and intense matches than there were when I took a break six months ago. I'm still getting used to the changes, but so far I'm not seeing much to complain about.
    the current system is the same as 6 months ago, with some minor tweaks.

your experience seems to run counter to what everyone else is saying.
    the only thing that has changed in a major way in the last 6 months of pvp, is that many of the upper skill level pvp players quit, and a lot of mid to low skill level players returned.

Ascendant

the current system is the same as 6 months ago, with some minor tweaks.

your experience seems to run counter to what everyone else is saying.
    the only thing that has changed in a major way in the last 6 months of pvp, is that many of the upper skill level pvp players quit, and a lot of mid to low skill level players returned.
    I haven't reached lvl 65 yet, so I might be getting a skewed view. However, so far I am much happier with the current warfront match-making than I was before I took a break from Rift.

I'm doing well and having fun in my outdated Warlord gear, so thus far gear has not been an issue. Hopefully Trion can ensure that remains the case as I get to level 65.

As for those who left: good. I never considered it healthy for people to play only one game exclusively for over a year. Let them go experience other games or hobbies, and then either return or find new interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefelia View Post
    I haven't reached lvl 65 yet, so I might be getting a skewed view.
    you absolutely definitely are getting a skewed view if you aren't 65.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast