+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Violacea

Thread: PvP Campaigns: The Past Campaigns and my 2015 Campaign

Lightbulb PvP Campaigns: The Past Campaigns and my 2015 Campaign

Back when I started playing Rift in Summer 2013, I seemed to be incredibly drawn to PvP. And that inspired me to do campaigns in PvP.

Back when my main was Azshar* (who is an alt now), my first campaign was titled "The Reclaiming of Azshara". Here were some stats:

Campaign Name: The Reclaiming of Azshara

Campaign Name Inspiration: I was incredibly taken aback by the beauty of Azshara in World of Warcraft. So when I heard the Cataclysm had ruined Azshara (both geographically and technically), I decided to try to "reclaim" Azshara from Deathwing, hence the name.

Slogan: "Beauty, Eternity, and Unity"

Slogan Inspiration: The first word, Beauty, was referring to the pristine waters that covered half the zone and the awesome detail to which Azshara was made. The second word, Eternity, was referring to not only the mountains for which it was famous for, but also for the old Night Elf ruins which had pretty much lain there for millenia. The last word, Unity, was actually referring to my longtime WoW goal to become allies with the Furbolg Timbermaw tribe (which can be seen in the northern part of the zone). However, I never achieved my goal.

Record during Campaign: 10-18

So, after the failure of The Reclaiming of Azshara, I decided to try again in the Winter and Spring of 2014. Originally, my campaign name was going to be "Collision of Worlds", with the idea being that Telara and Azeroth were both under assault by the planes, so it was time for me to take the fight to them. But I had to change my plans. Here was the final campaign:

Campaign Name: Cold Front

Inspiration: A play on words of the 1849 California Gold Rush, I changed it from Collision of Worlds to this campaign name after Snowpocalpyse 2014 occurred while I was organizing my campaign while my family and I was on a cruise in the Carriibean. While I was unaware that Snowpocalpyse was going on back home in Indiana, almost every night at sea it was very high winds and storms. At my first cruise stop in Roatan, I captured a picture of some whirlpools. When I learned of Snowpocalpyse, I changed the name to Cold Front and stuck with it.

Slogan: "Bring your mittens and hide your kittens, because Azshar/Shedelin is about to make the warfronts very frigid and very bloody."

Slogan Inspiration: Originally taken from UT2004's Deathmatch arena "Icetomb", how I came up with this is actually a very interesting story:

When I was a freshman in high school, I was heading to lunch one day when I noticed that several girls were arguing with several boys. I approached the conversation. When I looked at the boys, they had a fire in their eyes. When I looked at the girls, their eyes looked very icy cold. The look one of the girls gave me was even colder, as if to say, "This is a private matter between us. Go away!" I took the warning and raced away. Ever since then, I came to imagine Azshar and Shedelin (who is now my main) had blue eyes and whenever they got angry, their eyes looked ice cold. But it was only thanks to that girl (who I never saw again).

Campaign Record: 13-15

Then I moved on to my most recent campaign, simply titled "The Calm Before the Storm". It was the campaign that would last until Nightmare Tide rolled around.

Campaign Name: The Calm Before the Storm

Inspiration: I actually had two reasons for naming the campaign as is. On a family trip to Yosemite National Park, I was staying at a hotel in Sacramento. When I woke up that morning and looked out the window, I looked towards the main hub of Sacramento and noticed grey clouds. It was then I decided to name my campaign the Calm Before the Storm. I took a picture of it, not just as my campaign picture, but to disprove my mother's claim that it never rains in California. There was one problem, though: the grey "thunderclouds" was actually smog!

The other inspiration was that on the day I returned from Yosemite, I found Daglar's letter offering a sneak peek into NT.

Slogan: "Before the storm, prepare. After the storm, prepare."

Slogan Inspiration: I don't know where this line came from, but I got it from a quest. I'm not certain where it came from, but oh, well.

Campaign Record: 7-15

And now I finally reveal my 2015 Winter/Spring Campaign, which is simply titled "Last Hope".

Campaign Name: Last Hope

Inspiration: On a 4th of July fireworks display that the city put on, I took a picture of a single firework exploding. Because of my camera settings, the time of day, and where I was in relation to the firework, it looked like a light...and for anyone who gets lost, where there is light, there is people. If I was a person lost in the wilderness and I saw that, I would go in that direction.

Slogan: I actually have two slogans to choose from. One of them is "Believe in yourself and you will succeed" and the other is "A person can survive for several weeks without food, several days without water, several minutes without oxygen, but for only 1 second without hope."

Slogan Inspiration: The first one is an obvious catchphrase of Asha Catari. The Defiants were practically powerless until the Defiant Ascended players came along. The Ascended are their last hope, and that hope was granted.

The second slogan is a tribute to a fellow Rift poster, who made that line his signature.

Why is RP in the PVP forums?
    What is Burst? <Coriolis>

It's basically my superstition...I like to make up these campaigns just as a sort of driving purpose...if i don't have a plan or purpose, I don't do it.

So say what you like. If you think its RP, whatever. i'm just trying to pass the time while we wait for servers to go up...if they ever do.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedelin View Post
    [...]And that inspired me to do campaigns in PvP.[...]
    Three questions:
    1. What are "campaigns in pvp"? You mean: world pvp concerted in advance?
    2. What has to do Azshara with Rift?
    3. What do those numbers mean: "Record during Campaign: 10-18"?
    Last edited by MaxQuest; 12-24-2014 at 10:51 AM.

This forum is having their mind blown by someone using their imagination. Quite entertaining.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxQuest View Post
    Three questions:
    1. What are "campaigns in pvp"? You mean: world pvp concerted in advance?
    2. What has to do Azshara with Rift?
    3. What do those numbers mean: "Record during Campaign: 10-18"?
    Violacea, I think I just accomplished the impossible: blowing PvPers minds.

As to your questions, MaxQuest, I shall answer each one separately:

What are campaigns in PvP?

To me, campaigns are basically my own little superstition. I make these campaigns solely for myself...to drive me to do some things people usually don't do (and no, the old tacticas don't count as something people don't usually do). Sure, may sound silly, but to me, if I don't have a plan or purpose for doing something, I just don't do it. If I don't have a purpose to play PvP other than for loot, then where's the fun?

What has Azshara to do with Rift?

To me, A LOT. Azshar, my first character in RIFT, was named after that zone, and the first campaign, The Reclaiming of Azshara, was named after Azshar and the zone. Although the only reason was because I was so taken aback by the quality Azshara was made at and the sheer beauty of the zone.

What do the numbers mean?

Those numbers, such as Record: 10-18, is my record for wins and losses. So, in this case, I won 10 and lost 18. If you've watched any sports or even read about them in the newspaper, you will have seen records for sports teams written this way.

To me, campaigns are basically my own little superstition.
    Hmm. Ok.

I make these campaigns solely for myself...to drive me to do some things people usually don't do (and no, the old tacticas don't count as something people don't usually do).
    Sounds like lorem ipsum dolor tbh.

If I don't have a purpose to play PvP other than for loot, then where's the fun?
    Purpose is in learning and striving to become better. While fun is in succeeding at it. (if it would be only for loot, the game would not be worthy)

Those numbers, such as Record: 10-18, is my record for wins and losses. So, in this case, I won 10 and lost 18. If you've watched any sports or even read about them in the newspaper, you will have seen records for sports teams written this way.
    Heh, pardon me, for looking for an underneath meaning for that. It was hard to believe that someone would dream up a score for a fictional campaign. Moreover a negative one.

I think I just accomplished the impossible: blowing PvPers minds.
    There is no need in confusing excitement with curiosity. And you had mine, as long as I was under impression you are talking about a new game mechanics.
    Last edited by MaxQuest; 12-26-2014 at 07:14 AM.

+ Reply to Thread