+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Tips and ideas on a NO-DUNGEON gear path?

Default Tips and ideas on a NO-DUNGEON gear path?

First thing, I'm curious how the pve is working out for the mostly pvp types. Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I've pugged several NMEs and it's been a mixed bag. People leave for no apparent reason or say they have to change the baby's diapers (LOL). One *****ed about my gear before we even started despite my having every consumable and being all runed etc. Some are very cool people. Mostly they're ******s, probably because they don't want to be there anymore than I do.

Running hundreds of these just isn't going to work for me. So I was thinking what I could do to be competitively geared in pvp without dungeons.

So far my plan is to buy 4 pieces of the abyssal gear for the synergy crystal bonus and then maybe someday upgrade whatever good stuff I get from warfronts. I've generally been a tier behind, so maybe it won't be that different.

Anyone have tips, ideas, things to keep in mind etc? I especially need ideas on what to do about weapons.
    @Deepwood and elsewhere
    - Hello Kitty -* Plinka *
    And The Littles
    McBaddie * Chickabowwow * Bigstaff * Bighat * Beergut
    Littlehealz * Littletop * Fireballa * Freedomfries

Mostly it seems to be open your win crate and go, yah 1.5 plat again. Good luck.
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

Running guild dungeon groups is the best way if you're not 1000+ hit and can't join those LFG requests in crossevents. Otherwise, try and do as many of the weeklies and use the ACM on the gear. You should be able get about one piece of abyssal armor every 1.5-2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreys View Post

I've pugged several NMEs and it's been a mixed bag. People leave for no apparent reason or say they have to change the baby's diapers (LOL).
    This is why I had to stick with high end PvE'ers. We used to actually joke about this exact thing, you could use microsoft sam's voice in ventrilo to make "voice binds". I remember after someone telling a story about a raid being held up for 20 minutes because someone said they had to change a baby diaper, I think for 2 weeks everytime someone said AFK I made Sam shout over ventrilo "Chaaaange a diaper!" You have found the most frustrating group of PvE'ers. The type who AFK and clear content that should be done in 30 min in 2 hours. Or the group who takes 2 days on a 1 day zone. Yuck!

Some are very cool people, and usually the cool people worm their way out of that casual non-sense crowd and find people who are really there to play the game and not screw around.

Good times.

On a side note, this makes me sad. I know you're not a dumb dumb, and if you are asking for *any* way to gear without dungeons it must be bad. =/
    Last edited by Violacea; 12-24-2014 at 10:47 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Ascendant

I spend more time in dungeons and grinds then pvp. Pvp is actually all I want to do.

Pretty sure I can ask Trion, constructively, why Im spending 90% of my time trying to get the BIS gear that TRION placed in only dungeons vs. in the actual content I want to play. Why is the progression pvp wise so far behind pves route?

If you state Im choosing to do so, no, not really. I didnt create only one path for BIS for pvp and that being through pve. The correct way look at it is that TRION decided I cannot get BIS for my part of the gme by playing my part of the game.

They said they want us to experience all portions but seriously, im having to do one portion constantly, which is not pvp.

I'm like a see-saw with Rift.

One minute, I'm planning to uninstall. A couple hours later, I get the urge to play. Very annoying.

It's clear from forum activity that most have moved on.
    @Deepwood and elsewhere
    - Hello Kitty -* Plinka *
    And The Littles
    McBaddie * Chickabowwow * Bigstaff * Bighat * Beergut
    Littlehealz * Littletop * Fireballa * Freedomfries

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreys View Post
    I'm like a see-saw with Rift.

One minute, I'm planning to uninstall. A couple hours later, I get the urge to play. Very annoying.

It's clear from forum activity that most have moved on.
    Same for me, I already cancelled my sub, but I still logon a few days a week.

Although I have been playing Rift since Beta (with several long breaks), I barely have PVE experience. I manly do PVP, open world achievements and quest. Doing this already takes up all my time I can play. I am unable to join a raiding guild because I have an irregular playing schedule. I stay away from random experts because I do not know the mechanics, and I want to do it good, or not at all. I played FFXIV for a while as well, when you say there that you are a first timer random people actually explain the fights to you and guid you trough it, while in Rift this gets you booted from the group...

Without the PVE gear I notice I get behind more and more each week in warfronts. At the start of 3.0 I could still be competitive, but I feel weeker each week. At first when I got a weapon from the PVP box I was happy, then I noticed how long it will take me to upgrade it.

I just lay low till 3.1 and then I may make the final decision if I keep playing or unistall. Justr haven't found a replacement yet.

I have the same feeling as you Cheshi on the NEDS. I myself just stopped queuing for warfronts and have been working on notoriety, crafting, planar attunement* and NM rifts. I'm just hoping Rift really looks into the issue before I run out of things to do. I have managed to get 925 hit out of blue world gear somehow. I figure by the time summer comes and I log off until fall, I should be able to go toe to toe with someone in a warfront and it will all change again. I do miss getting into heal station eyn, grabbing a ruin, then go hole up in a safe corner with 5 other healers and just have a big fat healfest. It is a almost as fun as leveling fishing without skill pots. But it is still more fun than getting focused down in 2 seconds and not even making a dent on the opposing team.
    It is just a shame what has become of once fun filled warfronts with the current path of gear upgrades. It has really put a damper on the parttime casual player.

anyway

Merry Christmas everyone
    Corinze@Wolfsbane

Sword of Telara

I don't like NTEs. Gave them a go and to get the 10 sparkles per charge whilst that was still going. Haven't done another since, but I can see myself being drawn back because of the marks given by the charges.

Honestly, the best way I can see is to spend as long from 61-64 playing only daily WF charges. That way you'll get enough currency to gear semi-decently at 65, even if it does take months. In the meantime you could always make an alt and have fun playing in lower level pvp brackets. Just keep an OP spec to hand for whenever physicians show up...

If you're 65 already though, the least painful method is probably through void stones (and maybe upgrading crafted gear). I'd guess that the fastest method is to tag NT zone events: somewhere between 5 and 7 invasions or one rift will be enough to net you ~180 for the full event. You'll know you've done enough when you get 40 stones when either the rifts or invasions are finished.

It really, really does suck that you can get a full set of marauder's from WFs and have to spend >40k crusaders marks to upgrade it (in this case a weapon) to match an NTE drop.
    Last edited by Foolio; 12-24-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Soulwalker

It's getting really sad. For all the people who claim it's just skill that wins they are full of it. I've on several occasions been on a certain PvE guild premade. They sit there with the top dps and so nothing of the objectives. They will sit in chat and demand the PvP players do the objectives because we obviously suck at killing people.

Trion, your whole thing about gear being closer together is crap. EVERY top dps in a wf is a geared up raider. If Trion honestly wants to let PvP die they can, just quit trying to tell us nothing is wrong when it obviously is.

Even when Daglar was in game chat actually answering some questions he refused to answer any questions I asked about PvP and gear. Honestly, I challenge a team of devs with only blue +100 or 125 hit gear to compete against a team in full raid gear.

Hi, Jeffreys. I went the same path you're taking. I got one piece of PVP gear early on, then purchased 3 of the cheaper pieces of Abyssal gear. I wanted the Synergy Crystal, too. After that, I slowed way down. I do the Weeklies, my favorite WFs, and save Abyssal Marks like crazy.

I have Patron bonuses and turn in all my weeklies at once with an 80% token vial. I do the 4 PVP weeklies and the 10 dailies. I also tag 4 Zone Event bosses and slog through the Instant Adventure weekly. (Which makes me feel like poking my eyes out.) If I win a handful of conquests, I usually hit the cap for Abyssal Marks.

I think I've had better luck with WF lottery boxes, because I don't play as often as some folks. I've gotten a 2 handed sword, the chest piece, 2 gloves, boots, helm, a good trinket, and an earring (all DPS). I've used the Abyssal Marks to upgrade everything one level. Now, I'm trying to max-upgrade the PVP gear. I've also put good runes in everything.

I haven't started to "really" work on my Focus yet.

Finally, I've noticed a somewhat sizable difference in performance with my gear upgrades. It's funny, because before NT I always thought people who *****ed about gear disparity, were not really paying attention to performance -- just complaining and making excuses. I saw way too many under-geared people kick butt. Now, I'm not so sure about that.

Oh, and I also think that "having to change a diaper" is a hell of a lot better excuse than "the Pizza Man's at the door." You can't control a baby. If a person doesn't care more about their kid than they do Rift PVP, there's a huge issue there. lol Maybe that's an age thing.
    Last edited by Skid Rogue; 12-24-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Plane Walker

I don't understand why people are complaining about. I prefer to PvP. Before the announcement of 3.0 I NEVER did any SLE's. Since 3.0's release I have done a few NTE's, but mainly used my random WF charges, and my weekly quests. I am almost fully geared on Abys armor and almost have my first raid piece. I know I won't have the best weapons because I don't raid, but I am okay with that.

Yes I am a patron, so I get a few more abys marks than non patrons, but there are enough options to get abys marks and fragments of horror you can gear up just from PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Skid Rogue View Post
    Oh, and I also think that "having to change a diaper" is a hell of a lot better excuse than "the Pizza Man's at the door." You can't control a baby. If a person doesn't care more about their kid than they do Rift PVP, there's a huge issue there. lol Maybe that's an age thing.
    I don't think the problem is that they have to change a diaper.
    I think the problem is that they are queuing experts when they (or any other group content) when they know they cant make a reasonable commitment to any group they join.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    I don't think the problem is that they have to change a diaper.
    I think the problem is that they are queuing experts when they (or any other group content) when they know they cant make a reasonable commitment to any group they join.
    Yeah, you're right about that. I've just heard a lot of silly excuses over the years... I've made a few myself.

My biggest interruption is two little chihuahuas who absolutely sense when a big boss is coming up, or a battle is really good and intense. They have special radar for it. They think they're helping me out by jumping on my lap, kissing me like crazy, and trying to get my hands off the keyboard. I never tell anyone what actually happened. I just let my teammates think I wiped-out. Death by chihuahua just sounds way too unbelievable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast