+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Matchmaking

Shadowlander

Default Matchmaking

I've *****ed a lot about the crappy matchmaking so here goes an attempt at a solution:

If they can gather stats for lifetime favor gained it seems that some other data could be gathered as well:

Total damage done
    Total healing done
    KB's
    Time spent in wf

from there you can translate to real dps, real hps, kb's/min etc to be used to value players and even out teams in matchmaking. This won't fix crappy play, but could be used to even teams out more.

Rift Disciple

The problem with dps and hps recording is that none of the WF's are deathmatches. I'm going to say that one more time, not to be rude, but to allow time to get the juices flowing. and just really let it sink in. Think about it. None of the WF's are deathmatches. There are all kinds of actions that one can take that will destroy one's dps and hps but are very beneficial to the team. This wouldn't be as true in a deathmatch, but again, none of the warfronts are deathmatches.

KB's are just LH's (Last hits) and not kills. They're so prone to corruption as a meaningful stat that I'll just let them explain themselves right out of this explanation quite naturally.

A more realistic scenario would be to completely ignore dps and hps altogether and focus only on objective stats. But even that is flawed. Why...

Because no one owns their numbers. Again that may take one more time, no one.. single handedly... owns "their" numbers. In other words, no one's performance is a result of only their own actions, generally speaking. Your numbers are largely owned by the teammates on your team. This is why comparing, let's say the top damaging players amongst the losing team and the winning team is like comparing apples and oranges. It can't be done accurately.

If the discrepancies get high enough, you can easily start to say that player x of blue team is better than player y of red team because he has quadruple the total damage, but you won't even be able to come remotely close to saying that player x is 4x better than player y, even if it were deathmatch!

But that's not all! There is also an option to opt out of the matchmaking system. If you're one of the best and you happen to notice another person who is also one of the best all you have to do is agree to form a monopoly and you'll never have to compete again. This option is referred to as "Group Join". When bad or mediocre players do it, no problem. Let friends play together and everybody wins. But when good players do it because they know that they're each other's main competition on the field, then it becomes devastating.

It's not that I don't like your idea. I actually love it. But there's bigger fish to be fried first and we've got to make sure to use relevant stats.

Shadowlander

The problem in warfronts isn't lopsided scores so much as lopsided teams where one can simply dominate the other. I don't believe there is any method to rank players on their ability to maneuver through the different map mechanics. And frankly bad teams that don't follow the mechanics well should lose. But too many wf's are one sided farm fests where one team is just there to be overwhelmed and die many sad deaths.

My idea is to level out the teams to close the gaps on damage/healing "potential" for each team. There are way too many facerolls where one team dominates with 3:1, 4:1, 5:1 and more kills advantage. Combat is a part of wf's and teams are no where near equal in potential to inflict/heal damage.

You are absolutely correct that there are a large number of environmental variables in each individual warfront, and any singular event is not a good measure. However, as the adage goes the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. If data is taken over 100, 200, 1000 wf's there is a statistical smoothing effect that provides a potential for dps or hps each player "could" bring to bear. This would take skill, and spec into account as no liberator would have near the healing potential of a physician. While the diffenence in the average over time of 2 pyro's would seem to be reflective to some measure of skill

Then as matches are made teams are constructed by mixing players to balance the "potential" each brings to the party. The idea is to match the damage and healing "potential" of the 2 teams.

So it would be possible that a highly skilled premade may start fighting 5 v 8 against a pug of lower skill, worse spec (see current state of warrior).

The other reason I chose damage and healing other than they are the core of any fight, is the data is already accumulated for each warfront and therefore may be a much easier tweak to make. I threw in kb's as a hedge against the healfest where you do 2 million damage and no one dies lol.
    Last edited by chi925; 12-18-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chi925 View Post
    I've *****ed a lot about the crappy matchmaking so here goes an attempt at a solution:

If they can gather stats for lifetime favor gained it seems that some other data could be gathered as well:

Total damage done
    Total healing done
    KB's
    Time spent in wf

from there you can translate to real dps, real hps, kb's/min etc to be used to value players and even out teams in matchmaking. This won't fix crappy play, but could be used to even teams out more.
    they tried this and it ended up with players getting stuck solo queued for 10+ minutes because they screwed up their elo system. one of them even has a npc named after him in margle palace, and i quit pvping on my rogue entirely because of it because i was expected to carry a team of derps in every single wf.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post
    they tried this and it ended up with players getting stuck solo queued for 10+ minutes because they screwed up their elo system. one of them even has a npc named after him in margle palace, and i quit pvping on my rogue entirely because of it because i was expected to carry a team of derps in every single wf.
    Lol what you didn't like having top dps, top kbs, top damage taken, and top heals with 14 other players on your team...oh and most objectives.

...only to lose.

Half the time I really wondered what the heck my team was doing, if not objectives, because they certainly weren't killing anyone, taking the damage, or healing.

Quote Originally Posted by chi925 View Post

Total damage done
    Total healing done
    KB's
    Time spent in wf
    I was under impression, those parameters are already used by match-making algorithm.
    If you take a look at top 2 solo-queueing dps, they are usually placed in different teams.

+ Reply to Thread