+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Rheven
  • 1 Post By Violacea

Thread: My opinion on gear progression after two weeks of playing

Default My opinion on gear progression after two weeks of playing

One of my failings coming back to this game and into this expansion is the fact that I read the pvp forums. I should of remembered how negative they were, but I did go to the forums and I saw all the threads about how pvp was once again in the trash. So I came into the xpac expecting to not get the chance to get gear, but I was quickly proven wrong.

I've gotten fairly geared in a short amount of time, it wasn't grindy nor boring. For the first time I actually enjoyed farming. I also learned that raiding wasn't necessary to be competitive after looking at the differences in stats and talking to dualla about dungeon drops. I think Trion did pretty good for pvp for the first time in a long time, so thumbs up to you Daglars for exceeding my expectations.

I think a lot of you guys would be pleasantly surprised at how much fun the new xpac is, go into it with a open mind. Makes it a lot more fun.

Dogkin
    Dogkin@seastone<the cult> - RIP <wipe>
    Dogkin@vigil <Dawn of Terror>
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing man View Post
    Women in pvp are a rare breed compared to your average soccer mom grinding mats for her children.

Glad to hear it is all working for you. After all the pain and dismay over PvP progression and gear, for me, I feel that everyone should be bolstered up or down to exactly the same geared and stat level. Let's never again have any determinate but skill.
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Rheven View Post
    Glad to hear it is all working for you. After all the pain and dismay over PvP progression and gear, for me, I feel that everyone should be bolstered up or down to exactly the same geared and stat level. Let's never again have any determinate but skill.
    then pvp would be beyond pointless

trion will never put in meaningful competition so you need gear progression

id agree with you if they had ranked matches and the pop to support it

Quote Originally Posted by dodge dodge miss View Post
    id agree with you if they had ranked matches and the pop to support it
    I dont think that the population is the driving factor we dont have ranked matches and/or competitive pvp. Its more, to do so you need to invest and, more important imo, you need to make and hold a certain class/soul balance. And i dont see Trion investing in PvP, with all the downside that could come from it.

Starts with the carrot, you need something to fight for, a leaderboard or something similar wont be enough to get more ppl into it. Then you need to work on the balance, in the best case it works with the weakest link in mind, a bad player with a bad soulcombo needs to at least have the feeling he could beat the fotm souls, or he wont bother just for fluff/or a small gear upgrade.

Anyway ontopic, i also think the way how bolstering and/or how fast you get good gear is ok, but whats when we are done with it ? They could at least make an ongoing Prestige progress or something, a few Titles more maybe a pet here and there, a few mounts( even if they are all just slightly diff then the ones we have)...Random dropping crates with an random loottable wont keep ppl playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    This game is not and never will be balanced for 1 vs 1.
    ~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by evelen View Post
    One of my failings coming back to this game and into this expansion is the fact that I read the pvp forums. I should of remembered how negative they were, but I did go to the forums and I saw all the threads about how pvp was once again in the trash. So I came into the xpac expecting to not get the chance to get gear, but I was quickly proven wrong.

I've gotten fairly geared in a short amount of time, it wasn't grindy nor boring. For the first time I actually enjoyed farming. I also learned that raiding wasn't necessary to be competitive after looking at the differences in stats and talking to dualla about dungeon drops. I think Trion did pretty good for pvp for the first time in a long time, so thumbs up to you Daglars for exceeding my expectations.

I think a lot of you guys would be pleasantly surprised at how much fun the new xpac is, go into it with a open mind. Makes it a lot more fun.

Dogkin
    I think people were mostly bugged about the obtaining method of gear. Even as someone who came to this game after pure PvE content for 4 years, I felt like I was entering the kiddy area of a theme park. It's not that gearing is difficult, it never has been in MMO's if you merely engage in the content. But that is the thing, engaging in the content. I felt like a borderline masochist engaging in the PvP the last few months. And when I did PvE I only solo'd or did guild groups (If I did group zones at all that I couldn't solo), but mostly only cared for raiding. Hated open world and quest content tbh. I could only tolerate playing with the best of the best crowd because if anything enrages me as much or more than the PvP in this game, it's wiping because someone can't hitting the buttons that do the good stuff.

Even top end guilds take wipes, but hopefully only on progression mobs. I couldn't stomach raiding with a guild who doesn't plow through content and I've always despised group zones. I don't know why everyone quit but again, I highly doubt gearing up is hard and agree with you. But it is safe to say - I think - that the methods of gearing up have drastically changed for the person who intends to focus on PvP in the game. In fact, it is almost like the design changed so that focusing on PvP just doesn't carry you as far as it used to in progression for that very outlet of the game.

But I mean yeah, if this was Eq2 where I could actually stomach the PvE content, I wouldn't have quit. I'd have just mashed the dungeons and raids, gotten pro gear, and mashed WF's like I did at the end of my run in that game (they introduced Battlegrounds during like the last 4 - 5 months I played). And yeah, I didn't PvP at *all* to get any of my gear. I used a full set of top end raid gear - at times it felt like cheating though. Being in the guild I was, sometimes I entered battleground instances knowing I had a WW disco on a mage weapon the night before and was literally the only mage in the entire game with X item (I miss when I was the first to get this mage weapon with a broken AoE proc, was quite amazing). It doesn't seem full on, but, it *feels* like the direction this game is going.
    Last edited by Violacea; 12-13-2014 at 04:13 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

+ Reply to Thread