+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Straight up answer for beginning 65 pvp

Ascendant

Default Straight up answer for beginning 65 pvp

Since 3.0 I've been playing casually and mostly did pvp.

I realized quickly that pvp vs. pve gives next to no experience, and so I've finally reached 65 after foregoing pvp to do quite a bit of pve questing.

Straight up question to the experienced pvper's. I'm still in my myrm gear from pre 3.0, and while I saw no great gear disparity in 60-64, I easily see that basic 65 pve gear is about double or more of what my current gear is.

With how slowly you get pvp gear, and I'm hearing it isn't as good as pve gear??? Is it more viable to simply run dungeons to get the gear so that I can be competitive WITH OTHER EXPERIENCED PVPER'S. Note the all caps. I've played since beta and know what I'm doing so I don't need the rote answer skill > gear. I simply am wondering if its quicker to go the expert dungeons route now, then pvp, or if I can get competitive pvp gear to pvp while doing pvp (or is it blindingly longer then just doing experts?). This game has a history of letting BIS pve gear greatly outweigh skill (absorb trinkets for example), let alone ALL your gear.

Prophet of Telara

Do the daily solo 65lvl chtoncle and get some crafted items with 100hit (these are cheap), then run dungeons with premade group. Depending on your luck you should get most BIS dungeon gear within ~300 runs.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfaraon View Post
    you really need to play more pyro . I bet you are a warrior or rogue so your opinion is not accurate at all. By the way pyro is not even close to have the highest burst in the game tell that to a sin or warlord

PvP box gear drop rate is very low and stats are random. Dungeons are a grind but u know that u can get stuff and plan for it, although loot tables are messed up and studd u want u will have to grind for with "premade", pugs are mindless drones as per usual.

BiS expert gear runed\orbed and focus with lvl 65 purple dps lessers is enough to beat 99% of pve baddies with 80% hp left. And is enough to compete with ppl who got skill.

BUT!, only until more raid gear is farmed(20 man purples are not bolstered down), at the point when full t1 ppl will start to show up in bg's ur chance to kill average pve scrub are bout 50%(and will go super low vs skill with gear) just because he will blow 30% of ur hp just with Scourge or Fulmi etc.

Gear disparity will be insane in a month or two. This is why I'm casually pvping in Rift till IT will hit the fan and then I'm out of here to play Skyforge(or just go back to FPS\RTS).
    Last edited by Sezex; 12-10-2014 at 02:50 AM.

Rift Disciple

It will be faster to pve raids/dungeons for sure.

But other than that: Since everything <125 hits type equipment seems to be bolstered anyway, it probably makes no difference at all wether you have green equipment, Myrmidon gear, or blue/purple/yellow equipment level 65 armor of 100 hit "rating".

This seems to be a point most people are missing. I too did the chronicle and the rust bucket thing, but now I suspect the gear I gained from them make zero difference to pvp.

Or am I incorrect? Hard to tell since there seem to be no official info on how bolstering work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashgaroth View Post

But other than that: Since everything <125 hits type equipment seems to be bolstered anyway, it probably makes no difference at all wether you have green equipment, Myrmidon gear, or blue/purple/yellow equipment level 65 armor of 100 hit "rating".

This seems to be a point most people are missing. I too did the chronicle and the rust bucket thing, but now I suspect the gear I gained from them make zero difference to pvp.

Or am I incorrect? Hard to tell since there seem to be no official info on how bolstering work.
    the chronicle/rust bucket gear wont make a difference in pvp. what they are for is starting you off on your hit gear to allow you to run NMEs, with the purple gear from NMEs being the set that makes a difference.

Wrastion, farming NMEs for purple drops will be significantly faster than trying to gear up through merc crates.
    the merc crate items upgrade to NME purple level, but they are not BiS for pvp.
    for BiS pvp you want to maximise your marks of horror raid currency, which will mean farming all weeklies/dailies (both pve and pvp). pve raiders will get this gear at a significantly accelerated rate, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Good players still can top the charts with all bolstered gear. The gap is pretty narrow right now

I ran a couple experts and got nothing .. I don't think I'll run many more

What I do is complete 4 of the 5 weeklies, pop a transcendent token pot and boom maxed both void stone and abyssal marks for the week. Minimal PvE effort .

In my casual play that usually takes me 5 days or so. Then the last 2 days I level up my rogue doing mainly random warfronts earning abyssal marks at lvl 61

Meduza@Deepwood - [YouTube]

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ashgaroth View Post

Well I tried a couple wf's today. From what I saw some players were hitting me with my own abilities for roughly 150%+ of what I hit them for with the same ability. Some players were just tearing me apart-not skill wise-just massive hits. I actually felt like I was wearing paper armor. I got all 100 hit items and am basically just barely minimum for experts now.

Wasn't impressed with the pvp at 65. The gear disparity is huge. Ironically, Trions bold lie of closing the gear gap is a complete joke since they made it immense by a wide margin. Game really went to a p2w route and pve all the way for any form of competition. I was enjoying 60-64 but I'm rethinking Rift now. I can see why people left in droves.

Theres probably no official info on bolstering because they probably don't know how it works. The fact gearing down doesn't work just shows how much time they put into pvp from when they said it worked to current, meaning they've been told yet don't care.

Noted heals were very powerful. Also noted someone said that once dps players get geared heals wont be as powerful. Also taking note its a pve grind to get pvp gear to bolster players and am assuming this wont happen soon if at all making that point almost mute.

I guess what I'm most discouraged about is the fact this current scheme will not promote actual pure pvpers, or the very few that bother to grind pve gear to just pvp on even footing. That leaves a ton of pve'rs that just have "skill" from gear, or basically doing double or more of whatever you do due to better gear. Factor in the long process and you've pretty much alienated most pure pvpers and left that portion of the game barren save for pver's trying to get extra marks.

Even if Trion simply made gear progression based on prestige rank and factored in time that at least would be fair. Who cares if people eventually get good gear that just equalizes out vs each other since in pvp you aren't fighting bosses or anything. Could have also just left gear progression short of getting epic type raid gear and then a pvper "could" have done raids with top end pvp gear for even better gear. Just bolster down anything above the best pvp gear and there's your solution. Oh right...they don't know how to bolster down.

very discouraging.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Meduza View Post
    Good players still can top the charts with all bolstered gear. The gap is pretty narrow right now

I ran a couple experts and got nothing .. I don't think I'll run many more

What I do is complete 4 of the 5 weeklies, pop a transcendent token pot and boom maxed both void stone and abyssal marks for the week. Minimal PvE effort .

In my casual play that usually takes me 5 days or so. Then the last 2 days I level up my rogue doing mainly random warfronts earning abyssal marks at lvl 61
    I know good players will top charts.

However, if that good player does not have the gear another good player will blow them out of the water. I took a while to get to 65 and good players I've competed against in topping the charts with and against are doing double-triple what I'm doing now that I hit 65 and they reached it ahead of me. The only difference is gear now-I know how the skill was.

I think I'll try some experts myself just to see if I get the same feeling/results as you, then determine if I should continue that route.

Thanks for the tip on the potion usage.

Oh and the gap was not narrow at the time frame I played a couple wfs in. It will vary, of course from time frame to time frame, but it literally felt like I was hitting people like a wet noodle and they were slamming me with immense damage. Checked the logs to see actually so I know it wasn't a "feeling". I'm no stranger to having to gear up for pvp by doing pvp, but what I'm looking at now is having to gear up for pvp by doing tons of pve is the main concern.

there's a little more to gearing for immediate effectiveness for fresh 65's than what is immediately obvious, but it largely depends on what kind of role you want to play.

if you're a cleric and you like to dps, you're in luck! trion decided that you needed crit power on half of your essences and nearly every single piece of gear, so if you want solid gear, you can actually just throw runes on any garbage piece of gear and get it bolstered to that 150-180+ crit power piece in most of your armor slots, your earring slots, your ring slots, and your wand slot. neat huh? kinda puts those 7k bod crits and 9k soul stream crits from players in trash gear into perspective a little, doesn't it?

i might even use my old myrmidon legs with a 44 wis/sp rune on them and my old rings in pvp, even though i have the epic legs (spell crit lol) from citadel and both bis crafted spell power rings, just for the crit power. great job trion, you really thought this through! my epic dropped legs from experts are total **** in pvp? amazing!

but if you heal and you want to stack sp, you're **** out of luck aside from crafted gear. grind out those experts, grind out those void stones (gonna need them to upgrade your gear/rings), and grind out that rep for runes because trion decided to "gift" clerics (and those who are the victims of said clerics) with t1 level crit power. it's very possible that i have almost 3k crit power on my cleric in warfronts, even though i only have one essence, a hammer, and a few epics. weird huh?

it's almost as if whoever came up with the loot tables for experts and the loot tables for the base bolstered set of pvp gear didn't talk to each other at all. or maybe there was no effort put into it whatsoever, and it's all completely random? who the **** knows at this point, nothing this company does makes any sense at all anymore.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    Well I tried a couple wf's today. From what I saw some players were hitting me with my own abilities for roughly 150%+ of what I hit them for with the same ability. Some players were just tearing me apart-not skill wise-just massive hits. I actually felt like I was wearing paper armor. I got all 100 hit items and am basically just barely minimum for experts now.

Wasn't impressed with the pvp at 65. The gear disparity is huge. Ironically, Trions bold lie of closing the gear gap is a complete joke since they made it immense by a wide margin. Game really went to a p2w route and pve all the way for any form of competition. I was enjoying 60-64 but I'm rethinking Rift now. I can see why people left in droves.

Theres probably no official info on bolstering because they probably don't know how it works. The fact gearing down doesn't work just shows how much time they put into pvp from when they said it worked to current, meaning they've been told yet don't care.

Noted heals were very powerful. Also noted someone said that once dps players get geared heals wont be as powerful. Also taking note its a pve grind to get pvp gear to bolster players and am assuming this wont happen soon if at all making that point almost mute.

I guess what I'm most discouraged about is the fact this current scheme will not promote actual pure pvpers, or the very few that bother to grind pve gear to just pvp on even footing. That leaves a ton of pve'rs that just have "skill" from gear, or basically doing double or more of whatever you do due to better gear. Factor in the long process and you've pretty much alienated most pure pvpers and left that portion of the game barren save for pver's trying to get extra marks.

Even if Trion simply made gear progression based on prestige rank and factored in time that at least would be fair. Who cares if people eventually get good gear that just equalizes out vs each other since in pvp you aren't fighting bosses or anything. Could have also just left gear progression short of getting epic type raid gear and then a pvper "could" have done raids with top end pvp gear for even better gear. Just bolster down anything above the best pvp gear and there's your solution. Oh right...they don't know how to bolster down.

very discouraging.
    +100 hit gear will be bolstered, so there is little difference between lvl 65 +100 hit gear and still wearing lvl 60 greans and blues.
    the one area of difference here is that now runes and orbs on worn gear are applied to bolstered gear, so do make sure to rune everything.
    also, synergy crystal. they were always a point of major variance in efficacy before, and they remain so now.

dungeon +125 blue gear is where you no longer get bolstered, think of this as the equivalent of SL freelancer.

dungeon +125 purple gear is where you start to be relevant in pvp, consider this the warlord level gear. this is the level that merc box gear upgrades to at its highest point - for a completely ridiculous cost in abyssal marks.

raid +150 purple gear is upper tier of not getting bolstered. this is the myrmidon level gear. this is the point where raiders are out-gearing pvpers

I don't think better gear has been seen yet, but I'm under the impression that the upper bolster will reduce gear that is better than raid purples to a point that is still better than raid purples. I hope to be proved wrong on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    I know good players will top charts.

However, if that good player does not have the gear another good player will blow them out of the water. I took a while to get to 65 and good players I've competed against in topping the charts with and against are doing double-triple what I'm doing now that I hit 65 and they reached it ahead of me. The only difference is gear now-I know how the skill was.

I think I'll try some experts myself just to see if I get the same feeling/results as you, then determine if I should continue that route.

Thanks for the tip on the potion usage.

Oh and the gap was not narrow at the time frame I played a couple wfs in. It will vary, of course from time frame to time frame, but it literally felt like I was hitting people like a wet noodle and they were slamming me with immense damage. Checked the logs to see actually so I know it wasn't a "feeling". I'm no stranger to having to gear up for pvp by doing pvp, but what I'm looking at now is having to gear up for pvp by doing tons of pve is the main concern.
    I'm not Uber geared and I've seen nobody come close to doubling my healing or damage let alone triple even when I was fresh 65

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by SprawlnBrawl View Post
    I'm not Uber geared and I've seen nobody come close to doubling my healing or damage let alone triple even when I was fresh 65
    My guess is op was never good just looked good vs under geared pugs. Now no one is in that bad of gear so he's reminded he's nothing more than an average player

It's been really telling seeing former max geared players getting their face pushed in because their skill never existed.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by dodge dodge miss View Post
    My guess is op was never good just looked good vs under geared pugs. Now no one is in that bad of gear so he's reminded he's nothing more than an average player

It's been really telling seeing former max geared players getting their face pushed in because their skill never existed.
    My main toons are Aril and Shendrith. Pre 3.0 and during 3.0 im probably an average of 12-2 across all wfs. Average meaning ive gone 30-1 and 3-3 in ridiculously unbalanced matches. Healing im normally near top or top in the million(s) wf depending. Ive competed evenly against about every player whose replied here. Also been in top fifty kills multiple times pre 3.0 (solo qued everytime)and while i leveled through 60-64.

Ironically 60-64 is actually the most even geared you can get, and its 65 that gear advantage comes into play.

I also find it hilarious you think gear would be skill since i completely ignored relic gear due to the grind. Past posts ive stated id rather do without gear disparity-feel free to check.

I clearly stated i wanted an answer from good pvpers about the gear acquisition so I can compete against good pvp players who I know will gain those advantages, so in essence im only wanting equal fights with other good players.

Ill take note of your opinion dodge dodge if you ever give out your in game name. Until then Im pretty sure you already know who I am hence your uneducated attempt of a comment. Nice name also-get banned much?

Kronos thank you for your insightful post. I now know im wearing pretty much not even FL equivalent gear, despite mostly just pvping.

ok so what is the best gear path for a pvper who will never ever step a foot in pve at level 65 ?
    bolster and done, get lucky with chests ? (not complaining, just looking at "min maxing" without pve)

Quote Originally Posted by littlepoit View Post
    ok so what is the best gear path for a pvper who will never ever step a foot in pve at level 65 ?
    bolster and done, get lucky with chests ? (not complaining, just looking at "min maxing" without pve)
    Leave.......
    Vendetta
    Rank 8
    ------------------------------------
    Kronous
    Expletus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast