+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Fix the arbitrary dodge mechanic

  1. #1
    Soulwalker I swear she was level 18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    18

    Default Fix the arbitrary dodge mechanic

    This random and completely arbitrary mechanic is arguably the worst addition to pvp in rift, which is not an easy feature given the last year's content.

    Time to remove it devs, randomness like that doesn't make your game any more fun or interesting. All this feature does is punish coordination by making timed burst fail due to a random mechanic.

    It's really an unfathomable business decision to add features to a game which such a small market share that were never asked for and remain unwanted.

  2. #2
    Plane Touched Liandell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    282

    Default

    I agree entirely. Pretty much nobody was asking for this "feature" to be put into the game. It's a pointless, frustrating mechanic that needs to go.

  3. #3
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,331

    Default

    It doesn't bother me.

  4. #4
    Ascendant Kronos v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I swear she was level 18 View Post
    Fix the arbitrary dodge mechanic.
    what? its not broken. looks to be working fine to me.
    have you found a bug or something where you aren't dodging attacks?

    Quote Originally Posted by Liandell View Post
    Pretty much nobody was asking for this "feature" to be put into the game.
    I asked for it.
    its always been there.
    its re-emergence is welcome.

    also, Daglar recently addressed this issue in another thread recently. it is being tweaked.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

  5. #5
    Ascendant ecru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    there is supposed to be a fix coming, but there was no mention of misses, only dodges. here are some tests i recently did to figure out exactly what kind of avoidance something like 61phys has without speccing anything into bladedancer for dodge. her spec is 61phys/11ranger/4rs.

    http://imgur.com/a/dAd3L

    parsing against an actual target rather than pulling numbers from ACT in warfronts allows me to approximate the amount of gcd's i am actually using so i feel like this is a better method to figure out how high avoidance actually is. assuming ~260 gcd's taking into account lag and whatnot we're looking at 12.31% total avoidance including misses, excluding misses her dodge rate comes out to 8.46%, close enough to the 9.9% rate on her stat sheet.

    clerics don't dodge (excluding shamans with windwalk up), but all rogues have this ~10% or so chance, including physicians. this seems a little more than unfair, and i'd like to see the chance to dodge reduced to zero unless you actually do something like sub spec into bladedancer specifically for it.

    misses are another thing entirely, but from what i can tell miss rates are somehow higher than resist rates, by a factor of 3 to 4.

    another thing to note is that spell casts cannot be dodged, so souls like inquisitor and pyro are not subject to this 9-10% avoidance rate that melee and ranged physical souls (ranger, tempest) have to deal with, which is also unfair. if anyone has a line to the devs, i'd appreciate them forwarding this information to them or directing them to this thread so we can hopefully get rid of these disparities between souls when it comes to avoidance.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

  6. #6
    Soulwalker I swear she was level 18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    what? its not broken. looks to be working fine to me.
    have you found a bug or something where you aren't dodging attacks?



    I asked for it.
    its always been there.
    its re-emergence is welcome.

    also, Daglar recently addressed this issue in another thread recently. it is being tweaked.
    It should be removed. PvP should never be decided on whether a finisher misses randomly.This is already an extremely simple mmo to pvp in, doesn't need to be made any more dumbed down.

  7. #7
    Ascendant ecru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    what? its not broken. looks to be working fine to me.
    have you found a bug or something where you aren't dodging attacks?



    I asked for it.
    its always been there.
    its re-emergence is welcome.

    also, Daglar recently addressed this issue in another thread recently. it is being tweaked.
    no one agrees with you or daglar on this issue. you're like that annoying contrarian kid in class who has to disagree with the majority just to be different.

    there are numerous bugs with numerous abilities, all of which i cannot even come close to listing or testing, because souls are not balanced around abilities being dodged or missed. there is no consistency in what self buffs/combo points/cooldowns are consumed and what aren't. none whatsoever. class devs would have to go through and test every single ability/cooldown/self buff and balance them around the chance to miss or dodge if there is to be any consistency and this doesn't even address the disparity between miss/dodge and resist rates.

    i know at least a few people who have quit because of this specific issue. one of them queued into a warfront, used alacrity and flat out missed, and hasn't logged on since.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

  8. #8
    Soulwalker I swear she was level 18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post
    no one agrees with you or daglar on this issue. you're like that annoying contrarian kid in class who has to disagree with the majority just to be different.

    there are numerous bugs with numerous abilities, all of which i cannot even come close to listing or testing, because souls are not balanced around abilities being dodged or missed. there is no consistency in what self buffs/combo points/cooldowns are consumed and what aren't. none whatsoever. class devs would have to go through and test every single ability/cooldown/self buff and balance them around the chance to miss or dodge if there is to be any consistency and this doesn't even address the disparity between miss/dodge and resist rates.

    i know at least a few people who have quit because of this specific issue. one of them queued into a warfront, used alacrity and flat out missed, and hasn't logged on since.
    Kronos doesn't care about it because random misses don't really impact conquest lol.

  9. #9
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I swear she was level 18 View Post
    Kronos doesn't care about it because random misses don't really impact conquest lol.
    Or his terrible troll builds. He is a waste of a raid spot like most in his guild. I can't wait for cq to be back so they all leave wfs

  10. #10
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    546

    Default

    Kronos is bad, and everyone knows this, but I do agree that misses/ dodges add more strategy and depth to PVP. They way Rift has it now is the worst implementation of this though. They need to be tied down to buffs/cd's and to specific points spent in trees. Everyone needs to start at 0 in PVP and go up from there based on the previously mentioned factors.

  11. #11
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnut View Post
    Kronos is bad, and everyone knows this, but I do agree that misses/ dodges add more strategy and depth to PVP. They way Rift has it now is the worst implementation of this though. They need to be tied down to buffs/cd's and to specific points spent in trees. Everyone needs to start at 0 in PVP and go up from there based on the previously mentioned factors.
    Agreed more things like tt need to be put into dps souls

    Nothing random just more defensive cds. Right now ranger, warlock, nb, and inq are the only ones with them.

    That or things like mms speed, warlords old toughness etc etc etc

  12. #12
    Ascendant Kronos v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I swear she was level 18 View Post
    It should be removed. PvP should never be decided on whether a finisher misses randomly.This is already an extremely simple mmo to pvp in, doesn't need to be made any more dumbed down.
    so we should take out crits too, right?
    the variable damage abilities do should instead be reduced to just one static number.
    oh, and we can get rid of procs completely.

    cant have that randomness in our pvp,now, can we?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

  13. #13
    Ascendant ecru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    so we should take out crits too, right?
    the variable damage abilities do should instead be reduced to just one static number.
    oh, and we can get rid of procs completely.

    cant have that randomness in our pvp,now, can we?
    which stat do stack to increase the chance of my abilities to not be dodged? which do i stack to stop random misses? why aren't spell casts subject to dodge? why is there such a large difference between miss and resist rates? why are ranged souls like ranger and tempest subject to dodge but inquisitors and pyros not? why do rogues have an inherent 9% chance to dodge? why not clerics and mages too?

    i know how to increase my crit chance and the damage i do when i crit. what about all of these other things? do you realize how stupid you sound now?
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

  14. #14
    Plane Walker Axarion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    487

    Default

    But guys, healers dodging/resisting cc at 25% health is totally fun and doesn't ruin wfs at all by making them healfests...

    And resist rates aren't low at all, get every 3rd channel resisted these days. Might be different for pyro though since like 99% of essences seem to be death resist.

  15. #15
    Ascendant ecru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    it might just be me imagining things but miss rates do seem a lot higher. i can do some tests later on my cleric though.
    Last edited by ecru; 12-07-2014 at 08:23 PM.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts