+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Rift a shell of its former self (my critical opinion).

Default Rift a shell of its former self (my critical opinion).

This game has drifted into the not fun zone.

I wanted to play for 1 hour of casual time and it was just not fun. Yes, during this hour I was plopped into endless losing sides of wf matches (1 hour of being placed into 100-850). That's annoying but not a deal-breaker for me. After the hour of casual play was up. I sat back at my computer desk and tried to analyze what was really bothering me about that hour of game play.

So I started from the beginning.

From what I understand Rift's (new?) focus is as a pve game. Yet even the pug queue can take 1.5 hours for a pop as a dps. Once your queue pops. The tank or heals will most likely disconnect resulting in a disband and another 1.5hr queue. If you queue as a Tank/healer you are plagued with bad dps and a constant swap of members.

Okay I get it. This isn't a pug friendly game because this is no longer designed as a causal game.

However, even when you pve with guilds it's a race to get the dungeon dailies done rinse repeat and no one wants to do a second more than needed (understandably). So in the end, the pve end game is weak (for non-raiders). Unless you count the massively laggy NMR as unending fun.

The pvp is ruined. Completely ruined. Turned from glory to complete crap. Only select souls feel effective any more. Completely runed/dream orbed/full tier 1 armor/max buffs/potions and the average player feels all but useless in current pvp. Barring they macro the right specific soul specs. Anything else is fodder and dead weight in pvp.

I know the misses are going to be fixed but "oh my god." To sit there on my ranger/mm and see miss miss miss miss miss dodge dodge miss. I'm like, "A freaking professional MARKSMEN should never miss." *side rant* That is why they got the title MARKSMEN! I know nerdy rpg but WTF?! You are going to design as soul that does low damage and still misses the target? Maybe the name is the key. They should change the name from Marksmen to Sharpshooter or Expert. Maybe that is why it doesn't have an ability that allow it to actually hit a target. *end side rant*

A majority of the matches turn out with extremely lopsided scores.

http://postimg.org/image/a6fiftl75/

Why is the pvp community so disgruntled? It's because they actually HAD great pvp and then trion broke it. They had a measure of real gear balance with vengeance cap and prestige progression. Pre 2.8 you could experiment with other soul configurations and still be effective in pvp with myrm armor. Now it's cookie cutter or fodder.

The armor bonuses have all but KILLED physical souls on pvp alone. People have quickly realized this and are now stacking magic for damage and/or resistances just to get by.

Pre 3.0. All the pve'ers/raiders and white knights screamed and yelled at the top of the lungs that none of this would matter in 3.0 because bolster would even us all out. They yelled this and screamed it from the mountain tops and irony upon irony we find that that t2 armor isn't "down-bolstered" (to which I wasn't surprised). This upon other undisclosed bolstering "issues" i'm sure.

So now the new mantra is: "Well only a few people have this armor." This was true as of a month ago. Now that everyone and their alts are 1000 hit. Now the gap is widening and there is no check for it. I personally, can't wait for the T3 armor expansions when raiders can get 1 shot those pesky greens and blues armor users.

What absolutely boggles my mind is that all the the changes can be summed up by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    This statement is true, various raiding guilds will earn more marks, by completing more activities per week. That is not to say however, that the high end raiding guild player is seeking to engage in PvP.
    What the hell is this?

The developers based all their changes on the whims of other players. What kind of strategy is that? This sounds like something a fan would post. Not an actual developer. That's akin to saying, "We will give players a 1 hit kill button. However that is not to say that particular player will use it in PvP."

No. Just no. Also if the above fact is true ... if high end raiders (guilds) supposedly aren't going to participate pvp WHY DID YOU MERGE THE ARMOR IN THE FIRST PLACE? Do you see the flaw in that statement vs your new armor policy? I took a recent poll and no one has saw pvp as an effective way to build armor into 800 hit dungeons. Possible yes. Effective no. The ONLY advantage is vise-versa pve into pvp and yet you assert people won't take that advantage given the opportunity. Worse yet, you won't even prepare for that possibility and add a measure of checks and balances to that: "low case" scenario.

My biggest fear in my previous post. Rift is no longer a casual gaming experience has come true.

I've actually devoted a lot of time to pveing (more then I thought I would) and even with all that effort my progress still feels useless in end game pvp. I'm not saying is should be god in pvp or unkillable. I just want to feel competitive. Pre 3.0 I devoted my time to hit p90 and I felt competitive. I felt useful to my team. I didn't feel like fodder.

You broke it. Plan and simple you had a good thing: an inclusive system for casuals and hardcore people and you broke it. And what's worse is you seem to realize it but your lack of transparency and minimal community involvement gives off the vibe that you don't care.

It's over i'm disillusioned. I might play every once in a while to see if you can fix this mess (this is only because I enjoyed your pre 3.0 game so much). Other then that, I'm not going to sacrifice any more of my time on this garbage in hopes to barely keep up with these "hardcore" players you are handing your game over to.

You have what 40 souls? And only 10 or so of them are viable in pvp/pve (most of the souls where killed off due to the end game gear disparity).

You should be ashamed to ruin a good game like this. You had something golden and you crapped all over it.

For all you who think this is a pve game. Watch that magic will fade quickly and you'll quickly realize you're running the same rat race over and over.

The end game was/is the pvp and now it's just a joke. I've already had 2 friends quit once they realized they weren't going to catch me in competitive pvp equipment anytime soon. They said they felt like a burden in pvp (which was never a problem back in WL/Myrm days). People don't even want to 3v3 any more or can't 3v3 any more because they are either too equipped or not equipped enough to compete with their friends.

I have a feeling the resurgence of CQ will breathe a bit of life into your end game but I for one am not excited for it. I didn't particularly hate CQ before but at the time even pugs with myrm armor could rally for a win.

The way you've handled everything else leads me to believe you will implement CQ in the same fashion with no down-bolstering leading to laggy slaughter fests. You're only agenda seems to be fashion everything around the high end raiders so ... I'm sure CQ will be the perfect play ground for them and it will allow them use their new tools and coordination to dominate (farm) a new coveted prize that will further separate them from the masses.

Your modus operandi is clear and disgusting.

Overall, Rift has taken 3 steps forward and 5 steps back leading me to the conclusion that behind all the glitz and glamour. Rift has become a shell of its former self.

Rift Master

This is a perfect summation of how I and my friends feel. Not that I had many left willing to play this game. I have loved Rift for as long as I knew about it. I was actually able to kick my wow habit by coming here. It was great to have eyeballs for a change, but now I am going back to wow. I cringe to even see that written, but a pvper grannie has to go where the progression is. I have not been able to enter a wf in last week without getting one shot immediately. I have the best crafted and runed and orbed gear that I can get, but I would rather slash my wrists withe the pickle knife than ever enter a stale rote memorization not creative thinking dungeon.

God, I do so love standing in the fire, would you like to take me into one of your expert holes in the ground?

Champion

Agreed. It us no longer fun for casuals. It caters for PVE elites and the deluded who think all their grinding away will get them somewhere only to have the goal posts moved again as the next tier is introduced. Bolstering does not work top down.

PUGs are a thing of the past did you not know? Unless you run with a premade in warfronts you will loose 85% of the time no matter how good you are.

All of this is designed to drive away casuals so the niche players are catered for. RIP the game which was fun but is now a pain (in the) behind locks & paywalls. You would almost think they are trying to kill the game by the way they are driving folks away. I would be worried if I was an investor in the company because there seems to be a definite Death Wish.

Default Agree

I whole heartly agree with you Talzoor I hope Trion's Devs are reading your post and and change their minds on how pvp has been treated. This is not good when you have a whole subset of ppl (pvpers) upset about the game you make. I dont want to hear more about these pve/raiders with their prlmbs in pvp. I dont want to hear about those new and instanced lv 60's either. Instead of of Trion listening to a player base that has been here for years or since beta, they are listening to their own special little inner voice of demons. What makes sense to them does not make sense to us. Please Trion get back to what you use to be. Ego free (devs), Devs that listened and cared and above all GET BACK TO THE PLAYERS POINT OF VIEW.

I too feel the pain in your excellent post. When I started at Rift on Sunrest (PvP RP) I loved it. I felt the developers cared about PvP and I liked it. It kept me here even after SOI got EQ up and running again. I was proud of my guards or defiants, whatever I played at the time. Been so many changes since Rank 8 and PvP souls, I can't even begin to elucidate them all. One think I am sure of now, developers and powers that are care nothing for PvP. They reluctantly keep it because they want our money but it's obvious and has been for some time that PvE and raiders specifically are all TRION cares about. Not gatherers or crafters or casual players or PvP players. It may be less a shell of a former self and more a parody. And that to me is a truly sad thing.
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

Telaran

Just about summed up what every PvP player has been feeling since hitting 65 in 3.0. I still love the 60-65 PvP. Doesn't seem as broken.

Soulwalker

I agree with the message delivered by Talzoor...

I would add, trying to bring a different perspective to this subject, that Rift PvP and the Warfronts do not belong to Trion, they belong to all that played them and play them. The developers should be the caretakers, not the dictators. Ethically, PvP was not theirs to give it to the PvEe'rs, and that should explain why so many people feel robbed.

The PvP fun was pulled out of the hands of those who cared for it, and unethically handed like a cheap toy to those who will treat as such. And we had no word whatsoever from the part of the Developers that showed anything but a premeditated intention on this.

Quote Originally Posted by rufo32 View Post
    Just about summed up what every PvP player has been feeling since hitting 65 in 3.0. I still love the 60-65 PvP. Doesn't seem as broken.
    Do you mean 60-64?

Telaran

Oops, ya 60-64.

Arrow

Remember the saying "We're not in Azeroth anymore"?, "We're not in Telara anymore", not the one I signed on and backed. I'm hoping some semblance of it will come back.

Telaran

OP you are right in everything you said, sadly Trion doesn't care, as they've shown us on more then one occasion.

If you don't like it, leave! - Daglar

The saddest part is, their focus, PvE (raiding) was done so terribly that the whole raiding community thinks its a bad joke.

Ask anyone from Apotheosys, Vendetta, Trinity... any of the top guilds what they think the current content.

Soulwalker

I couldnt agree more with the OP. I did not sign up for the crapola that this new exp did to PVP. They took away everything from PVPers and handed it over to the raiders. No progression, no gear, NOTHING in the way of earning your way up like the old system. Forcing your customers to play parts of the game they did not sign up for when they originally bought the game is cheating us. Many of us bought this game and were paying subs and buying items supporting this game only to be thrown away like garbage. I would NEVER have bought this game or expansion or any items if I knew Trion would just take the part of the game I signed up for away. I have tried to be patient with all this and I cant deal with playing a game and supporting it when trion clearly does not support its customers. There is NOTHING in pvp that makes me want or feel like I am having fun when in the back of my mind I know that no matter how hard I PVP I will never be as good or as close to the Raider, they will always be superior in PVP where players like me should shine. Thanks for ruining a oncee great game pandering to the PVEers, thanks for throwing us away like garbage. Trion really knows how to makes its customers feel great............I know this is turning into a rant but I have never played a game that has been so hostile to a section of its player base, I have never seen customers treated so badly and shoved or thrown away like this. ALL my friends left because of these changes ALL of them and that not counting the countless others that have already bailed..........Thanks Trion

Good post. Glad I bailed just after 3.0 went live. Sounds worse than I imagined.
    Rikalus. Retired lvl 60 P76 Noob Mage. Bloodiron *Blue Team*
    Per Incendia Ego Perussi

Shield of Telara

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't hate the changes, and I hadn't pve'd since 1.6. Exclusively pvp from level 15 to 50, 50 to 60, 60-65. And by exclusively, I mean I took 3 weeks to hit 65 because that's how long it takes by doing wfs with xp suppression on.

Requiring pve to advance has engaged me back into that side of the game a bit, and being able to use pve gear in pvp makes getting pve gear doubly rewarding. You kill a dragon and loot a gigantic glowing two handed axe? OK now I'm gonna go mulch some people with this guy for a few hours and it's twice as fun as it otherwise would be.

Could more specs be optimized, definitely. Could hybrids come back and rejuvenate the soul system, probably. And could pvp gear be tuned up to be at least close to on par with atleast expert gear if not t1 raid gear (after upgrades), ya.

But personally, I'm enjoying the game the way it is, and it will continue to be improved on as the weeks go by. Right after an expansion everything is always a little out of whack. . Heck the current meta is better than SL first came out by far and I think that expansion ended at a pretty good spot.
    Last edited by oddiescell; 12-06-2014 at 06:13 PM.
    Ezuen@Faeblight<Godlike Awesomeness> lvl 65 p100 warrior
    aka "The Healing Warrior" (before it was cool)

Shadowlander

Default Agree

Sadly I agree. I've slogged around a bit looking at other MMORPG's and have simply moved on and back to RTS's. I wasn't a PVP only player, rather enjoyed playing all of the content. However the complete lack of balance and competitive matches in WF's killed my favorite part of the game. That and the move to make melee warriors completely useless in all aspects of the current rift iteration finally pushed me to put my hands up and give up. enough is enough, I don't have any time to waste other than reading the occasional forum post as my build ques tick down. It's a shame, but rift pvp is screwed and the warrior class as been cast aside as useless outmoded chattel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast