+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Gear Upgrade Costs

Default Gear Upgrade Costs

the upgrade costs of marauder/dreambreaker is insanely high, both in currency and time, compared with the equivalent NME purple drop gear.
    the currency cost could be half what it is and it would still be more efficient/cheaper to grind NMEs, where purple proc weapons drop that don't require upgrading.

note, this isn't an argument about raid gear or what gear is BiS.
    this is simply pointing out the appalling vast discrepancy in acquisition of gear of the same level from different sources. 20 abyssal components for the 1 hander upgrades (how many can you buy per week with the abyssal currency cap?) vs no upgrade cost.

Gear Upgrade Costs-weapons-upgrade-costs.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Man I need to start doing some experts.
    Currently playing- GW2, SMITE

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

all upgrade costs are insane.

in SL you needed atmost TWO upgrade components (like 8-9k ESM total, or 20-25k IS) to get a crystal bonus.

in NT, the currency requirement is beyond insane!!

10 VS accelerators (58k vs, or 2 weeks) for upgrading crafted weapons to 2nd tier..... 9 ACM accelerators for upgrading a blue dungeon piece to synergy (18k ACM, or 2 weeks).

And here's the kicker : people BUY them. Yesterday, I had a rogue in my party, he was rocking full epics, i thought he was from a good guild, but i noticed that the names were similar to blue items.... this guy had upgraded every single blue drop to max.

My mind boggles at the amount of cash spent on this. Needless to say, it was the same old thing, cash shop baddie. We had to kick him on the 2nd boss coz he couldnt stay out of AOE.

Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    Man I need to start doing some experts.
    I mostly pvp. I probably average 2 experts every 3 days.
    you can literally pvp all day, run one expert, and get more gear of better quality from the expert than you will out of an entire days warfronts. and any gear you get from warfronts will need to be upgraded three times at an exorbitant cost just to reach parity with the expert drops.

Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    you can literally pvp all day, run one expert, and get more gear of better quality from the expert than you will out of an entire days warfronts. and any gear you get from warfronts will need to be upgraded three times at an exorbitant cost just to reach parity with the expert drops.
    While I agree the upgrade costs could benefit from a reduction, the problem is time ≠ effort. You can afk your way through warfronts (as well as CQ if/when it makes its return) whereas you can not reliably do so in an expert dungeon or raid. This fact must be accounted for in some manner, and high upgrade costs is the path Trion has chosen.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    I mostly pvp. I probably average 2 experts every 3 days.
    why bother upgrading anything, unless you can max out. I didn't bother getting anything better than the blue stuff. I get bolstered and the mechanics are so borked who the hell knows how anything really works. Tired of cash shop events.

Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    While I agree the upgrade costs could benefit from a reduction, the problem is time ≠ effort. You can afk your way through warfronts (as well as CQ if/when it makes its return) whereas you can not reliably do so in an expert dungeon or raid. This fact must be accounted for in some manner, and high upgrade costs is the path Trion has chosen.
    What if we dont afk? Where's our gear?

There were no AFKs in warfronts until you raiders were forced into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinsalot View Post
    What if we dont afk? Where's our gear?

There were no AFKs in warfronts until you raiders were forced into it.
    You don't, but you can. Going by the honor system isn't what I would call feasible, especially with the pvp community RIFT has.

I may raid, but I also pvp'd long before it was required by anything. And trust me, there have always been people that will queue and then spend the whole match running into a wall. That or just play like absolute **** and go 0 - 21. Doesn't matter how well or how poorly you play, everyone gets the same rewards. Blame the people who cried for their participation trophies.
    Last edited by Stihl; 12-02-2014 at 12:01 AM.

Plane Walker

You don't, but you can. Going by the honor system isn't what I would call feasible, especially with the pvp community RIFT has.

I may raid, but I also pvp'd long before it was required by anything. And trust me, there have always been people that will queue and then spend the whole match running into a wall. That or just play like absolute **** and go 0 - 21. Doesn't matter how well or how poorly you play, everyone gets the same rewards. Blame the people who cried for their participation trophies.
    So because we can't kick people out of PvP we can't progress adequately. Sounds logically...

Rift Disciple

The upgrade cost of Marauder armor seems silly, makes more sense to save the Abyssal marks and buy something else for use.

That aside, it all comes back to the same issue imo.

If you choose to play primarily/only pvp you will be penalized compared to any other way of playing the game. And not just in general, but actually when it comes to your effectiveness doing just that, playing primarily/only pvp.
    That is just a fact.

Is that a fair way to compensate for the fact that you can gain favor, plats, marks by doing nothing and just being a burden to your team? Hardly seems fair to punish all other players who actually play warfronts because they enjoy to, does it?

My solution:
    Add a favor exchange service where you can buy all kinds of marks, dust of this or that, etc with favor (much like we can today buy the favor infused accelerator). The exhange rate can be discussed, but it would be a totally easy solution that would please most of the pvp community.
    It might take a alot of time, but as long as you can progress in a reasonable time using your hard earned favor, most of us would be content I think.

Champion of Telara

I don't like the upgrade paths at all, they are a huge commitment for gear that may not even be BiS.

if we are being penalised because of the actions of AFKers, then that is completely f***ed up.

the AFKers infesting warfronts is a separate issue that also needs to be addressed.

the high upgrade costs do one thing and one thing only: it ensures that the marauder gear will never be upgraded beyond the first level and never used. you will never see a player in a raid with dreambreaker gear.

Prophet of Telara

If you haven't noticed already they took away the prestige link to gear and you have to actually win warfronts to get a chance at a piece of upgrade gear.

There is absolutely no reason to go afk other than to sve face and prevent yourself from being farmed out.

Matchmaking system hasn't changed much. Still giving premades a pug stomping time stamp that breaks the morale of everyone else that doesn't have the capability to challenge them. People don't go afk because they want to not participate.. They do it because the particular part of the game is being exploited.

This has always been the case for cq, and premades. They had to develop a merc system just so that people can mix up with the losers and winners instead of one faction being carried by a few premades. Although I do wonder how it would be now if Trion went back to guardians vs. defiants.
    Last edited by Planetx; 12-02-2014 at 05:37 AM.

Prophet of Telara

They could add a special pvp only stat to marauder gear. It would add to your SP/AP and it could only work in pvp. So your pvp gear that you afked would be bad in PvE.

Maybe we could call this new stat, hmmmm..... Vengeance ?
    Live - Lokken - Mage - Unity Guild - Gelidra EU http://www.unityguild.net/
    Prime - Lokken - Rogue

Ascendant

So raiders or experts cant "carry someone?" whose merely there power leveling his gear by players who already have it all/better?

Same concept, save one person has to hit movement keys and isnt even needed to finish. In a wf at least thats a detriment since you are most definitely down a man that could have helped. In a wf I also don't get the choice to not carry that player not participating.

Flawed theory you have there since I can apply it even better to pve. By your reasoning then we should lower the drop rate to equalize the time it takes pvp to get gear-after all someone "might" be getting carried.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast