+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Which tank spec do you play in pvp?

Rift Disciple

Default Which tank spec do you play in pvp?

Personally I use Justicar as the self healing +mitigation are enough to hold a point, whereas I have found with warrior tanks the self healing they do have, or their shields, is worthless in pvp.

Case in point - void knight, while having good active mitigation for pve, is very poor in pvp.
    Paladins heals do not seem to rank up as much as Justicars either.

Rogue and Mage tank - no idea how their self healing or shields function in pvp.

Soulwalker

I play no tank spec, because its stupid and bad.

I played a justicar & shaman hybrid in the 40s bracket so I could screw with Pyros. It was surprisingly good. Not sure how well it would do at max level though.
    @Deepwood and elsewhere
    - Hello Kitty -* Plinka *
    And The Littles
    McBaddie * Chickabowwow * Bigstaff * Bighat * Beergut
    Littlehealz * Littletop * Fireballa * Freedomfries

Too many play useless tank in wfs and after come forum to QQ about "unkillable" healers.

Don't play pure tank.
    RS subsoul for rogue can work. But less pts what you would put on the main tree. Otherwise its worthless. I use max 11 pts in RS.
    There is 1 noticeable tank build, some kind of BM/VK hybrid with pet, but for only being super annoy with its continuous purge. Is there a purge without CD lol? The damage itself laughable. But I generally hate pet builds, coz nobody peels pets (just a few peel at all anyway), nobody care with them and how they eat me while my toon is shaking lol.

If you want to troll it can work or run with no-damaging flags and without a healer.
    If you play tank, don't pick up flags in martyr maps.

Back when it was still viable, I played a VK or a VK Hybrid, trion took out the only usefull PvP tanking souls from Warriors a long time ago, otherwise, PvP is no more than a DPS/Heals race in Rift.
    Elimination aka Gramps, formerly of MMAC, Squabs Squad, Mobile Death Squad,FoTM,Temporal Insurgence, Beep Beep Imma Jeep and Philanthropy

Rift Disciple

When there are pvp maps where the objective is to hold as many points as possible I do not see how going tank to control, say the codex, is detrimental to your team.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ceonnyn View Post
    When there are pvp maps where the objective is to hold as many points as possible I do not see how going tank to control, say the codex, is detrimental to your team.
    If you're going to try and be survivable, why aren't you running a heal spec instead? Anybody remotely sensible will actively avoid targeting any tank...

Quote Originally Posted by Kartia View Post
    There is 1 noticeable tank build, some kind of BM/VK hybrid with pet, but for only being super annoy with its continuous purge. Is there a purge without CD lol?
    Yep. Fierce strike (with 2/2 Abolition talent) has a 100% chance to purge a buff from the target. Fierce strike has no cd and can be converted to a 20m range attack instead of melee by another talent.
    Serale@Faeblight

Tanks in PvP are like tanks in raid. 1 or 2 can be pretty game changing when played well. But add in like 2 - 3 more and you all of a sudden have like the worst raid composition to ever exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    If you're going to try and be survivable, why aren't you running a heal spec instead? Anybody remotely sensible will actively avoid targeting any tank...
    This factors into my 15 competent players. Hopefully that tank has a healer who knows how to hit buttons that make green numbers appear. Tanks survive and healers survive, but healed tanks are godlike. And lots of tanks have annoying enough abilities to take some pressure off healers despite aggro/taunting/target forcing being a total wash in PvP.

Then lest not forget, hopefully there are DPS there too. You see, what I am slowly hinting at is, A GOOD TEAM UTILIZES A PROPER VARIETY OF ALL/MOST THE GIVEN ROLES. You have now learned chapter 1 in how to form an MMO group.
    Last edited by Violacea; 12-02-2014 at 01:11 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Prophet of Telara

Tanks are fine as long as they bring some utility or good CC.

TL;DR dont play tank in pvp unless you got VK.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfaraon View Post
    you really need to play more pyro . I bet you are a warrior or rogue so your opinion is not accurate at all. By the way pyro is not even close to have the highest burst in the game tell that to a sin or warlord

I use to hate tanks in pvp but I've noticed that tanks do a good job on holding caps on larger maps like Karthan, especially on the outermost flags.. It can sometimes take 4-5 dps to take them down and 1-2 dps won't cut it.

Sentinel

/10chars
    Stir@Greybriar
    Stirr@Greybriar
    Stirrr@Greybriar
    Stirrrr@Greybriar
    You have sent too many chat messages.

They weren't too useful in SL but they were really good in Planes of Telara. NT 3.0, they may be too good.
    Last edited by Flashmemory; 12-02-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceonnyn View Post
    in theory it sounds good but this isn't small scale 5v5 Guild Wars style point control where simply holding a point for an extra few seconds or keeping a point neutral is going to have a serious affect on the match. Take your codex for example, codex is almost always a 5v5 or more fight at the central point. you as a tank are 100% worthless in a XvX fight and are just making the enemy have better odds.

your best bet in a map like codex is to cap and hold vault, but say you do that, then a sin comes along and kills you in a drawn out fight, now the sin holds the point and you have no way to cap a flag back against a sin, you will never kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by asianguywithacamera View Post
    I use to hate tanks in pvp but I've noticed that tanks do a good job on holding caps on larger maps like Karthan, especially on the outermost flags.. It can sometimes take 4-5 dps to take them down and 1-2 dps won't cut it.
    yes but they cant cap anything on their own which makes them not good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast