+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Why did they change pvp progression?

Telaran

Default Why did they change pvp progression?

At the moment, it makes no sense at all. You could raid a few times and buy some gear from the auctionhouse and destroy anyone whos been spending 2 months trying to get something out of a pvp box which 80% of the time drops 1 platinum.

And ranks have no purpose, so there is no grind for the pvper, and no point in playing warfronts if youre into progression

im not trying to rage but i am curious if there is a plan here
    Last edited by astrall; 11-30-2014 at 01:43 PM.

I would have to say... No plan and it does not make sense. I only pvp and all I have to look forward to now is killing other players. Which is incentive enough for me to continue doing so since the rest of RIFT is a snore.

They just want to make it easier for pve'rs to compete I guess but fact is... The game play is drastically different and up against hardcore pvp'ers they will have a hard time. Same goes for only pvp'ers... Like me who is the last person you want on a raid or questing. My kill...kill..kill attitude doesn't work in a dungeon environment... It gets a group killed.

So the only thing to look forward to is getting matched against some tough players and seeing who tops the stat charts..
    Mischiief Aeternna Verittie Trieu

We've yet to get a clear answer as to why they removed PvP progression. Some claim it was done for asset consolidation. Some claim it was done so that "everyone could PvP" (as if they couldn't participate before...). Some claim that Trion has no direction for PvP, so doing away with it would allow them to focus on things PvE related. Some claim that they are aiming towards catering to a more casual playerbase. And so on. To my knowledge, and do correct me if I'm wrong, but there has not been a straight answer from the devs regarding this.

Not many like it. PVE players feel that they have to PvP to progress. PvP players, those of us who hate PvE content, hate it for several reasons. Those reasons need not be reiterated here - just scroll down the PvP section and see. Maybe you'll even see a purple poster sticking his foot in his mouth regarding the situation.

What would happen if Starbucks only served "coffee"? No Decaf or caffinated. Just "coffee". Would all their customers still buy this "coffee"? This is the mentality of Trion regarding gear progression... a purple poster said something along the lines of "There is no PvE currency" or "there is no PvE or PvP there is only Rift", something to that effect.

No matter the reason why they completely destroyed all pvp progression does not matter, the fact they did it to thousands of loyal customers who loved this game is what upsets me. They made these changes knowing it would hurt PVPers and did not have a care in the world about it. They know they are forcing us to PVE to get gear even though PVPers hate it. They know PVPers will never have a chance from now on to be competitive in PVP VS raiders because of the gear gap favoring raiders. So many have left over these changes, so many are ANGRY and UPSET and many more will leave. I wish I didnt buy the exp pack after these changes because there is absolutely NOTHING for a PVPer in this expansion. Now all I have been doing is building garrisons, sending my followers on missions and PVPing for PVP gear on another game, its actually nice for a change knowing my business is valued and appreciated.

Telaran

The only logical explanation for what Trion is doing is that they want to shut the game down. Stats must show they are making more money off PvE players so they are trying to milk every last dime they can out of them before they turn off the servers.

I've speculated on why Trion did this. Here's what I came up with.

1. Personal desires of Daglar. Daglar reminisced on a live stream or some such about a time when everyone would raid so they would have the best gear for pvp. So speculation: This is him following his own desires and let Rift, players' wishes, etc be damned. Some believe he holds some animosity to Rift's pvp community. Giving us the middle finger is just a bonus in that case.

2. Financial. With the two exceptions of WoW and Eve Online, every MMO has a really narrow window of opportunity to bring in the cash. AND, Trion had a couple spectacular failures where they threw away millions after the initial great success of Rift. Speculation: Consequence is that Trion has abandoned it's core principles, written a new mission statement and seeks and soak as much money out of Rift while they can. That means cutting staff, reducing the need for separate balancing of gear, art, and so on.

3. Lack of Raiders. Raiders are probably considered the core of any MMO... just guessing here. If Raiders are the core, and raiders are having trouble recruiting players to raid that diminishes Rift as a successful MMO. Furthermore, the large participation in Conquest, which players said they hate, proved to Trion that we pvp'ers will do whatever the hell they tell us to do if it gets a gear advantage in pvp.

Meanwhile, my solution is to ignore top level pvp for now and enjoy pvp in the 50-59 bracket where everyone is bolstered.

I've also twinked out 10-49 and just laughed hysterically at the resulting carnage. (side note: I've talked directly to a dev about the need to eliminate twinking and made posts about it a year and a half ago. And I sent multiple in-game feedback about the stupidity of it. *shrug*)

I'll consider top level pvp when and if I ever unlock earrings via rex and then get handle on just how disadvantage I'd be versus Raiders.
    @Deepwood and elsewhere
    - Hello Kitty -* Plinka *
    And The Littles
    McBaddie * Chickabowwow * Bigstaff * Bighat * Beergut
    Littlehealz * Littletop * Fireballa * Freedomfries

Quote Originally Posted by jackhammerr View Post
    <SNIP>

I wish I didnt buy the exp pack after these changes because there is absolutely NOTHING for a PVPer in this expansion.

<SNIP>
    Hey now, they did give us the most awesome warfront ever, Ghar Station Eyn. Who doesn't love a heal-off?
    @Deepwood and elsewhere
    - Hello Kitty -* Plinka *
    And The Littles
    McBaddie * Chickabowwow * Bigstaff * Bighat * Beergut
    Littlehealz * Littletop * Fireballa * Freedomfries

I just kind of assumed it was a development resource/cost issue. Reduce and simplify the options to reduce development costs. In the development work I do, when we simplify or remove features it is almost always a resource/cost issue.

I personally liked the Storm Legion PVP setup quite a bit. I knew how long it would take to get something and what I was getting. I could then decide whether I enjoyed the grind enough to go get it. Now, I'm in this state of indecision because there is no PVP gear progression. There is no way I'm spending 4-6 weeks of capped stones to upgrade 1 weapon. I'm also not going to run dungeons 100s of times hoping I get weapon drops (when I saw 2 drops all of SL).

It's kind of sad for me, because I'm already getting that "what's the point?" feeling that usually takes me 6 months or more to get with new expansions.
    TI-99/4A - 3.0 MHz 16-bit TMS9900 CPU, 256 bytes fast RAM, 16 KB RAM, 8 KB ROM, Cassette Player Interface

10. char

Why did they change pvp progression?-rift-pvp.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Looking at the big picture, it does seem like asset consolidation. Look how simplified crafting is now. One time of mine ore, hide, plant/lumber combined. Probably less staff to deal with it.

Champion

Trion has fully embraced the cash shop formula, expect much worse to come.

Ascendant

Previously, I didn't really have the time to PvP, and when I did, I usually didn't have the desire to do it.

Now, courtesy of the currency and some of the balance tweaks from NT, when I do have the spare time, I actually want to PvP.

I assume the changes were made for people like me, and the ones who already played everything - who had to deal with having "lesser" gear in both environments because of their lack of single minded focus.

The extremely small minorities, who are very vocal, that are exclusive to one content type or the other, are mad that trion wants them to "do more". Pvpers are justifiably mad - got screwed mostly in rate of gear acquisition, see any thread on the amazing droprate and cost to upgrade of marauder gear.

The rate is moronically unequal, the quality...well, its not like there are any requirements to join a PvP queue, and you do eventually get raid mark gear.

Plane Touched

In my opinion Trion decided that Raiding was the End-game and that every other aspect of the game was a means to help you get there.

PvP is not End-game content anymore. It's something meant to do casually to get some marks to help get you to the End-game.

There is no point to look at PvP in any other light because frankly Trion probably will focus on raids from here on out until the game dies. Raids is the cash cow now. Pretty much Trion is telling all the PvP players to start raiding or quit the game because things aren't going to get better just worse.

My guess is that they did this because they thought PvPers would have used the cash shop to skip the PvE wall they put in their faces... they are leaving instead.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=806168&dateline=13715  70211

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Baian View Post
    In my opinion Trion decided that Raiding was the End-game and that every other aspect of the game was a means to help you get there.

PvP is not End-game content anymore. It's something meant to do casually to get some marks to help get you to the End-game.

There is no point to look at PvP in any other light because frankly Trion probably will focus on raids from here on out until the game dies. Raids is the cash cow now. Pretty much Trion is telling all the PvP players to start raiding or quit the game because things aren't going to get better just worse.
    Didn't Dags say somewhere sometime that raiders weren't the cash cows or something similar? I went back to another game, only check in here every now and again to see if they've fixed their recent spectacular fails. Whoever above said PVP change came partially due to Dag's desires, I think they're right. Maybe with a dash of too little staff/too little money to engage in multiple aspects of the game at once, even for a major expansion. Also, aren't raiders still getting screwed this patch too? Not as hard as PVPers obviously, since raiders still have progression - but I seem to recall a lot of outrage from raiders and PVPers alike with this expac.
    I won the game by leaving it. Have fun with your cash grabbing nightmare.
    Wonder if this could happen to Trion or if it's limited to companies with deeper pockets:
    http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudi...x#.VGS-T_nF-So

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast