+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Rats in a Wheel of PVE

Cool Rats in a Wheel of PVE

I spent most of my gaming time during the last few days doing PVE, trying to maximize the currency, so I can keep up with the race for better gear.

Playing through a dungeon once is only marginally entertaining, and annoying because melee isn't really an option and I have to play my warrior as ranged, which btw, to me is an insult to the class entirely.

And now I'll probably end up spending a big chunk of my gaming time in dungeons, trying to pretend i care about the content for the sake of the people who are with me in the dungeon.

/rant off

It would be good for Trion to change this, because when you force people to do stuff they don't want to do, it's guaranteed to be bad for the game in the long run.
    Fusscle of Cheat Engine

Yeah, the most annoying thing is having to rely on the range classes for most encounters. There are a few where melee is possible but the majority of the fights are range.

Look at what the PvE'ers are doing when forced to PvP. They enter warfronts and if things not going their way they just leave and accept the 15 minute debuff.

Now we are forced to PvE, I suppose to be as annoying to them as they are to us, we should wait until the boss fight starts then leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinsalot View Post
    Look at what the PvE'ers are doing when forced to PvP. They enter warfronts and if things not going their way they just leave and accept the 15 minute debuff.

Now we are forced to PvE, I suppose to be as annoying to them as they are to us, we should wait until the boss fight starts then leave.
    But you don't get the loot for the kill!

Left awhile back but still lurking... call it a morbid curiosity.

You know, if you're afraid to advertise a certain aspect of your product... does that mean you realize how bad it is?

Where were these advertisements (see sig)?

*** Rift 3.0 ***

Where you'll have to PvE in order to PvP.

Anyway, only thing I'll suggest is to abandon ship and don't look back. There are many alternatives out there that are way better at PvP than this.

WoW! Look at that over there! I can hordely believe my eyes!

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wylwrk View Post
    Anyway, only thing I'll suggest is to abandon ship and don't look back. There are many alternatives out there that are way better at PvP than this.
    anything else that has a better PvE?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoomgiver View Post
    anything else that has a better PvE?
    Admittedly we're dealing with a subjective subject however, I'm of the opinion that any game that doesn't force you to PvP in order to progress faster in PvE has a good shot at being "better" at PvE.

Rift Chaser

Yeah it's kind of doubly insulting that I have to PvE (I'm not going to), and even that I can't use the warrior spec I want. Hell, even the zone boss events all seem to have a huge pulsing AE every 15 seconds that makes my melee DPS spec useless. ALL of them have this.

I did the math, and I'm just not motivated enough to do it. So in essence I treated Rift like a single player game for the new zones / story quests, did a warfront or 10, and gonna call it a day again. /shrug

I'm not going to WoW or anything, I'd love to stick with Rift. I even love their cheesy version of EQ1's old Alternate Advancement, even if it is just +1 to stats. Minions are neat too, and kind of addicting. But the forced PvE is just too much, there's better PvE games out there.
    Matryarch <FoH>
    Manabane
    Derpwood Server
    - A True PVPer has more fun losing 95-100 than winning 100-1

Telaran

Nobody from Trion must have played DAoC. When Trials of Atlantis came out as an expansion for DAoC they pretty much forced players to PvE to keep up in PvP. Well the game is still going but at maybe 1/10 of what it used to be. Because they forced players to do something they didn't want to do they lost over half the player base. Might be something worth thinking about there Trion.

Quote Originally Posted by rufo32 View Post
    Nobody from Trion must have played DAoC. When Trials of Atlantis came out as an expansion for DAoC they pretty much forced players to PvE to keep up in PvP. Well the game is still going but at maybe 1/10 of what it used to be. Because they forced players to do something they didn't want to do they lost over half the player base. Might be something worth thinking about there Trion.

Funny you mention this... DAoC was my absolute favorite PvP game ever.
    It was what you described above that made me leave.

Hours of boring "raids" to get the "best gear" and "abilities". Oh... and how IRONIC that it was an UNDERWATER update too!

/shockandawe.

Quote Originally Posted by RobXIII View Post
    Yeah it's kind of doubly insulting that I have to PvE (I'm not going to), and even that I can't use the warrior spec I want.
    Hm, which dungeon can't you play melee on?

Quote Originally Posted by bitnine View Post
    Hm, which dungeon can't you play melee on?
    He is talking about world NMR bosses I believe. He does not run PvE dungeons.

Champion of Telara

Watching PvPers get owned by PvE mechanics is hysterical. How ego deflating it must be to Supagangstapewpewpew to realize all of his l33t tab targeting and button mashing in WFs doesn't actually make him any good at, well, anything.

Fik
    Rift Chaser

DAOC was awesome. My favorite game that I always compare too. Perhaps this is the core issue with most of us PVP'ers. We have a fond memory of something else that has died.

I liked the PVE, and I did well with TOA but it's true it did kill off many PVP'ers. Before TOA you still have tons of PVE tho, and it was still a big benefit to have done it. It was just way harder to get the good items you had to raid end game to get it. Anything but a dragon dropped a pile of garbage or the massive raids. We used to raid dragons simply for respecs or for the big losers a trophy! Take that away and PVE was a ghost town.

Crafting was massive at that time and provided the game no long term goal for DAOC. You could cap a toon in a few days and it was over.

What DAOC did wrong was it gave to much power to PVE with TOA destroying anyone who didn't PVE. But realistically, it was a PVE game that you had to level up in to begin with.

Masteries were what made that game awesome and epic. Masteries with tons of cool op abilities that could give someone a 5 second gap of pure ownage, with massive timers.

The combat system was smooth, casters were deadly and could be interrupted which added some immense skill involved to playstyle. Meele was very strong in this game when played by a great player.

The only real way I could see this work is make everything achievable in both sides. I like the PVE or PVP but segregated grinds I dislike so I would prefer to see each area work to get the goals they need to PVP. I do not like the idea PVP having a limit on currencies to earn. PVE doesn't have anything so PVP shouldn't either..

PVP does need it's rewards adjusted if any change was to be added as its very easy to get my quests done versus the PVE ones.
    Last edited by Fik; 11-18-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Fik View Post
    Masteries were what made that game awesome and epic. Masteries with tons of cool op abilities that could give someone a 5 second gap of pure ownage, with massive timers.

The combat system was smooth, casters were deadly and could be interrupted which added some immense skill involved to playstyle. Meele was very strong in this game when played by a great player.
    Oh man, I remember the first mastery I unlocked in DAOC. I was a gimp cabalist, and unlocked 5 seconds of uninteruptable casting. Back then, you were interupted 99% of the time, why did anyone play a caster?

A gank duo mezzed me for 1 minute 17 seconds, the opened with a stun (yup, back then you could go for over a minute of mez time +stun time before getting control of your char), and they *still* lost, then posted on the forums, calling me a hacker with infinite quick casts. Good times.

Imagine Rift's PVP potential, letting you unlock cool mastery like abilities as you level your prestige ranks. Sadly, I don't think they actually have a dev even assigned to PVP as a collateral duty, much less a main duty =\
    Last edited by RobXIII; 11-18-2014 at 06:46 PM.
    Matryarch <FoH>
    Manabane
    Derpwood Server
    - A True PVPer has more fun losing 95-100 than winning 100-1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast