+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: When will MMO developers learn that invisibility is a stupid ability?

Champion of Telara

It's a principle thing for me, it isn't really about my success against them. It's the types of behavior and gameplay it leads to that bothers me, as well as the fact that devs end up catering to stealthers because they are so vocal and defensive of their abilities.

Why isn't there a viable stealth counter? And why do they get nerfed so fast when introduced? Answering those questions honestly will get you closer to the truth about why Rift invisibility is so bad for Rift PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Planetx View Post
    He didn't ask us what we specifically wanted. He made them choose from a set number of choices he had planned based on feedback. I don't know what you are trying to prove other than changes are made from QQ which if that is the case.. completely pointless... Now your job is to actually read the thread and see why they were chosen.. thanks.
    you seem to have a special talent for being wrong.

the choices he gave were based on what he could realistically achieve on his own in the time he had available.
    the new warfront modes did nothing to address the healfest problems, nor were they ever intended too. in fact some of them suffered from that particular issue just as much as the regular warfronts did.

Quote Originally Posted by Planetx View Post
    I remember like It was yesterday how broken healing was back then. I can even name the specific souls with the broken abilities. Things you probably NEVER even realized what was happening. Did you even know about broken healing and I am sure it was called double dipping or some thing like that which made those warfronts a complete joke in all sense of the word.
    I probably knew more about it than you did lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    the new warfront modes did nothing to address the healfest problems, nor were they ever intended too. in fact some of them suffered from that particular issue just as much as the regular warfronts did.l
    I have never had a single domination or codex match end in a tie ever. Maybe you have had it once happen and it was such a good memory that it erased everything else. Is it the only thing left you can remember? Those maps were chosen specifically.

Do yourself a favor and go to the post and count how many times people said they wanted A and B. Daglar didn't even let the thread go more than 2 and a half pages before he made up his mind about B but actually he made his mind up about this way before the question was proposed .

You are saying that 5 ppl out of 1000s made it happen.. Okay..dude you keep thinking that...You don't know how politics work, do you? The only point of that thread was Daglar showing player interaction.

No developer ever considered a warfront design specifically by the players. None of the new warfronts have ever been designed to resemble anything any player has ever recommended unless it was out of public eye. Daglar doesn't use the ideas of players either usually. If the idea is good he usually finds a way to implement the goal of the idea in another way.

It is like if you tell the dev we should be going from point A to B in 5 secs. so why don't you increase the speed? Although it is the best option he would say no but later lower the distance from A to B so that it is can be reach within 5 secs. This is how it usually is with the developers. They find different ways to accomplish the goal so they can get credited for it.
    Last edited by Planetx; 10-19-2014 at 12:18 PM.

I wouldn't say he doesn't use specific ideas of players but yeah he goes into applying those ideas in a round about way. Also, the dev usually known for having the biggest impact with the least amount of effort done. Like with the cq chest and these rehashed warfronts. They actually had significant impact in the game play. I actually wish some of the class devs would do this but of course in a more on the fly balancing instead of completely gut or revamp a soul.

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    I probably play odd to most though and can literally turn my character and run while shooting everything without having "facing" issues, even though I can't see my target when doing so (doesnt matter I know he's running after me).
    I know EXACTLY what you mean... turning away so your target is a few degrees short of 180.

thanks for the suggestions for dealing with sins, i'll try it next time.

Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post
    stealth doesn't matter, and in fact going back to playing my rogue to get my 36 slot bag for a few days has made me realize that it's just a hindrance. relying on a stealth opener to get a damage and mitigation buff (cloak and dagger) plus a bleed that puts me on par with with other dps souls is stupid and cumbersome and slip away when not used for another c&d/jagged isn't really much different than dying and running back. you're not doing **** while you're sitting around in stealth and those moments when i was moving towards a target ready to open w/jagged when as shaman i'd already have fw/vex/lightning/eol on them i wished i was back on my cleric.

from my point of view it's a gimmick on domination maps and that's pretty much it. using a 20-30m charge isn't any different than opening from stealth, everyone still tab targets you regardless of whether you come from the front or in back. if you're a well known player anyone who matters in a warfront is gonna be expecting it anyway, "oh look there's ecru on the other team and i can't /tar him which means he's stealthed and playing sin, he'll probably open on someone in a few seconds", and if they're healing they're ready for it because they know it's coming, or they're ready to heal someone else.

don't miss it one bit when i'm playing shaman.
    this is such a load of crap ecru, come one man. stealth is the most important melee tool in the game, by far. the fact that you say charging in is the same thing is laughable. idk about you but i would prefer to not have my target know im coming, be in melee range when they do, and be behind them to get a few extra attacks before they do anything.

having stealth is a huge advantage in every map, and even more so on domination maps. if recon pots didnt exist i would say it wouldnt be as big as an advantage but they do so its even more glaring. stealth gives me more enjoyment as a solo que because i can avoid the zerg and pick of weak players when we are getting blown out. it lets me avoid the tab, and most importantly it lets me pick who i want to fight with the ability to slip away when i get outplayed.

its not even up for debate how much of an advantage stealth is compared to other melee abilities.

that being said stealth is fine, minus slip away/hv combo. also if u are dying to sins as inq you should quit the game

Did you guys know Step into the Shadows in the rogue PvP tree (yeeeah, going back in time now) was an unbreakable stealth, in that, no matter how much damage you took it never broke until you manually broke it yourself. I remember the day they hotfixed stuff and it no longer worked in the broken perma way it had been...but there was no mention in the patch notes of "fixed xxxxx from not breaking". It's like they knew about it but never said a thing about it...just sort of...fixed it and hoped nobody noticed along the way. I used to troll so hard with that. Stealth with it, and sit on top of a player and let them get enough hits off on me to nearly kill me, but then just walk away and watch them in bafflement wonder why I wasn't popping out of stealth.

Almost makes me want that tree back. Was kind of cool having a slip away for half the point investment it takes in Sin that teleported forward upon activation and never broke (for a limited time).

Just sharing stories about how corny stealth is.
    Last edited by Violacea; 10-19-2014 at 03:19 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by ConclusionTheFirst View Post
    Yes, WoW rogues are similar, but they are very different; WoW rogues have weaknesses and require keen awareness to excel with. Cannot say the same for the stealthed melee rogue who has the durability and damage of envenom mutilate and the utility of shadowdance combined. Add to the fact that Rift's so-called melee rogue does great damage from range and you have a monster on your hands.
    lol wow rogues have weaknesses just like in rift. purge ruins sins and nb. they also suck in group fights after they have used up their two stealth openers. stunlock was invented in wow not rift

The only people dying to sins popping from stealth are complete bads.

The only people playing sins to use stealth are also bads.

Default Bring on The Sins.

Quote Originally Posted by Rng is OP View Post
    The only people dying to sins popping from stealth are complete bads.

The only people playing sins to use stealth are also bads.
    A really good Sin can do massive damage. As a healer, I get like 2 on me sometimes one is usually really bad while the other I have to tell ppl in my team to get so and so off me. Not all Sins are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Caeus View Post
    Healthy PvP and invisibility are mutually exclusive.
    That doesn't mean anything profound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by SprawlnBrawl View Post
    I thought 75% of the population was pyro and physician? now its back to 75% sin/nb?

also wow rogues are similar to rift and rogue is the least played class behind only the expac class, monk. just the weekly thread of bads crying about stealth again.
    You are not comparing wow's to rifts? First and foremost (and not limited to), WoW has NOT taken all forms of stealth detection out of thier game. Nor, do rogues in wow, get anything close to debilitating posion....

Maybe IF trion was not afraid to share their numbers, you could make a case....one way or another.
    "There are other aspects of the game that we want you to engage in."

~Daglar

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Caeus View Post
    Healthy PvP and invisibility are mutually exclusive.
    PVP and a fun PVE game are mutually exclusive, unfortunatley we suffer that too.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Lords0fpain View Post
    Maybe IF trion was not afraid to share their numbers, you could make a case....one way or another.
    I also believe that invisibility and the lowest common denominator form of game play it attracts HAS to be a large money maker for Trion. It's really the only explanation for the preferential treatment stealthers have received since release.

Quote Originally Posted by Lords0fpain View Post
    You are not comparing wow's to rifts? First and foremost (and not limited to), WoW has NOT taken all forms of stealth detection out of thier game. Nor, do rogues in wow, get anything close to debilitating posion....

Not to mention wow has a 2nd class with stealth...druids....
    "There are other aspects of the game that we want you to engage in."

~Daglar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast