+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Why Rift PvP died.

Default Why Rift PvP died.

What was once great promise slowly died muck akin to a gangrene leg that the owner refused to saw off.

Since launch Rift began a slow trend towards catering to more casual play. Unfortunately for the pvpers this trend was greatly aimed towards the larger pver playerbase. At first then was not viewed as a death sentence move by everyone although a few did raise "the end is nigh" signs/flags all over the forums.

It is in my opinion that Trion just made pvp handouts far to comon for pvp rewards/progression.

When the game finally went f2p and introduce further infuriating money making tatics such as RnG boxes/gear upgrade peices/extc availabe through the store it caused many more to lose what little hope was left and many left seeking greener pastures.

Enter now the onset of 3.0 where pvp has been cross mutated into Pve which now puts pvpers into the position where they must pve in order to stay on par or above the pve populations currency intake and we have what appears the start of a mass exodus. That this coincides with the release of AA is no shock to most of us but we would all be remiss if we did not simply state.... What the hell has happened. All this time we have waited and waited and many blindly kept faith myself included. One can only be jaded so many times.

I would dare not go the way of some and declare my rage quit but I will simply say I no longer have any faith and already most of me and mine have all ready jumped ship to AA. I will keep my Rift account of course (tied together duh) and possibly briefly check out 3.0 but short of the port scion dimension (150$ i really cant justify to myself anymore). There really is not anything im excited about. I do not even care about the whole gear issue. I am used to the constant fotm and imbalances, but I just can not keep holding out hope that Rift pvp will become what it ahould be.

I like to think I have a pretty extensive friend/frenemy list and lately what used to drive me insane jumping like a rabid kangaroo is no longer rampant nor as lengthy. I would hope this is just temporary due to the excitement of AA but having played it myself I do not see many (maybe the bulk of rifts pvp core) will come back for 3.0

Anyway, thats my rant. Does anyone feel similar? Thoughts?
    Last edited by Landstalker; 10-07-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    Landslide - Greybriar. ( Vendetta )
    (\_xxLand_/)
    RIP RatedX. >.<!

Quote Originally Posted by Landstalker View Post
    What was once great promise slowly died muck akin to a gangrene leg that the owner refused to saw off.

Since launch Rift began a slow trend towards catering to more casual play. Unfortunately for the pvpers this trend was greatly aimed towards the larger pver playerbase. At first then was not viewed as a death sentence move by everyone although a few did raise "the end is nigh" signs/flags all over the forums.

It is in my opinion that Trion just made pvp handouts far to comon for pvp rewards/progression.

When the game finally went f2p and introduce further infuriating money making tatics such as RnG boxes/gear upgrade peices/extc availabe through the store it caused many more to lose what little hope was left and many left seeking greener pastures.

Enter now the onset of 3.0 where pvp has been cross mutated into Pve which now puts pvpers into the position where they must pve in order to stay on par or above the pve populations currency intake and we have what appears the start of a mass exodus. That this coincides with the release of AA is no shock to most of us but we would all be remiss if we did not simply state.... What the hell has happened. All this time we have waited and waited and many blindly kept faith myself included. One can only be jaded so many times.

I would dare not go the way of some and declare my rage quit but I will simply say I no longer have any faith and already most of me and mine have all ready jumped ship to AA. I will keep my Rift account of course (tied together duh) and possibly briefly check out 3.0 but short of the port scion dimension (150$ i really cant justify to myself anymore). There really is not anything im excited about. I do not even care about the whole gear issue. I am used to the constant fotm and imbalances, but I just can not keep holding out hope that Rift pvp will become what it ahould be.

I like to think I have a pretty extensive friend/frenemy list and lately what used to drive me insane jumping like a rabid kangaroo is no longer rampant nor as lengthy. I would hope this is just temporary due to the excitement of AA but having played it myself I do not see many (maybe the bulk of rifts pvp core) will come back for 3.0

Anyway, thats my rant. Does anyone feel similar? Thoughts?
    Couple questions, no sarcasm intended.

1. Is AA any good, or better than Rift's?
    2. If so who cares if Rift pvp dies entirely?
    Shayde@Seastone

Im enjoying it to be honest. I am taking my time leveling mainly because i want to overachieve all the quest and not miss any of them. I am also prone to stop for any mining/gathering nodes I come across plus my 3yr princess keeps me a little busy too. I love my founder glider tho! Flying in awesome! I can not comment on the fun end game stuff yet but everyone else seems to enjoy it. Its truly a pvp game and knowing thats the focus is a relief.

I honestly do not think anyone will care, short of nostalgia and a sense of things that coulda, woulda, shoulda the money will stay in house either way.

O and the whole boat thing is pretty rad too.
    (\_xxLand_/)
    RIP RatedX. >.<!

Pvp died because of cq turning into end game instead of meaningful competitive pvp and adding huge gear/time requirements to compete at top level..

You among others were the chief supporters of this..funny now too see this thread.

I love pvp now. Because all the hackers and good players left it makes me look great in WF!

It all ended in storm legion.

Cross realm guilding on pve shards convinced so many to leave pvp shards and play with respectable players fron the other faction. Myself included.

Once the pvp shard population dropped (end game) more people left. because the f2p influx lasted what 3 months??

That brings me to my next point. At one point rift had so many new players they ****ing blew up the game. Instead of making things better they left it the same and tried shoving pve everywhere. Then blamed that entire exodous of new pvp players on spawn camping.

At what point do you stop thinking "maybe this game isn't for everyone" and start thinking "what are we doing wrong?"

After hundreds of suggestions fron non troll players on how to make things more enjoyable in the past year nothing has changed.

We are an acceptable loss. Remember that the next time you are in the cash shop.
    Undeadwarrior & Zoarbot @Deepwood.
    Believe it or not Rift has an unofficial Facebook PvP alliance group .~All are welcome~

i dunno how you knock rift pvp and say you are playing AA which has worse, less competitive pvp, chain cc with no DR you say? sounds fun.
    Last edited by SprawlnBrawl; 10-07-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SprawlnBrawl View Post
    i dunno how you knock rift pvp and say you are playing AA which has worse, less competitive pvp, chain cc with no DR you say? sounds fun.
    I do believe I declinded to comment on the end game aspect of AA as I am not there yet, but the focus of the game is pvp and I am enjoying it.
    (\_xxLand_/)
    RIP RatedX. >.<!

Quote Originally Posted by Pocketzoar View Post
    It all ended in storm legion.

Cross realm guilding on pve shards convinced so many to leave pvp shards and play with respectable players fron the other faction. Myself included.
    <Wasted Talent> broke PvP

I do believe I declinded to comment on the end game aspect of AA as I am not there yet, but the focus of the game is pvp and I am enjoying it.
    there is zero focus on competitive pvp, unless you consider the 1v1 rock-paper-scissor areana, or pug 5v5 that is even worse than rifts "ranked" BG a "focus"

or are you talking about trade pack ganking? hope you enjoy blowing all your CC removal on 1 fight only to be hit a second fight with chain fear-sleep and can do nothing until you die in 2-4 shots depending on their spec (lolmeteor)

you seem to have done zero research into the pvp system and how it compares to rift.
    Last edited by SprawlnBrawl; 10-07-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNinja View Post
    Pvp died because of cq turning into end game instead of meaningful competitive pvp and adding huge gear/time requirements to compete at top level..

You among others were the chief supporters of this..funny now too see this thread.
    1) I guess you were not around before ABL started this whole premade thing, but in the end the results of what is now going on in CQ is not what Aqua, Beer and Myself had envisioned. Instead of multiple groups fighting for glory there is just one.

2). Nobody qued ranked 5s, so lets not blame trion for that one. The playerbase specifically asked it be for bragging rights only. Could it have been done better? Probably but I doubt the end result would have differed. Players by that point were to used to having things handed to them.

3). Gear still does not matter as much as all you baddies want to make it as an excuse for losing.

4). Yes I was and yes I had hopes and ideas that like many ithers were not out into play. Can hardly fault anyone for optimism can we? At least I tried which is more than most people can claim.
    (\_xxLand_/)
    RIP RatedX. >.<!

there is zero focus on competitive pvp, unless you consider the 1v1 rock-paper-scissor areana, or pug 5v5 that is even worse than rifts "ranked" BG a "focus"

or are you talking about trade pack ganking? hope you enjoy blowing all your CC removal on 1 fight only to be hit a second fight with chain fear-sleep and can do nothing until you die in 2-4 shots depending on their spec (lolmeteor)

you seem to have done zero research into the pvp system and how it compares to rift.
    I am still playing it and havent made any decision one way or the other. Sure I could read the internets all day but I would much rather level a toon and see it all for myself. I do like that there is no macro system so that will eliminate alot of bads right off the bat. No one button heros. The comboinations aspect of using multiple skills for effect is also nice and this is cross player. Leads to what could be deadly organized attacks. There is always alot of talk in g chat about alliances and nemisis and this is exciting stuff to hear, throws me back to vanilla rift open world days. I will give you a detailed report when my procrastinating self hits level cap and experiences more raids.
    (\_xxLand_/)
    RIP RatedX. >.<!

What do you guys want Rift to change? Like seriously, make a topic of suggestions you have for the Rift development team and make it constructive. I lurk on the PvP forums quite a bit. Sometimes for the drama, sometimes for the information but very rarely do I come across a thread that has a clear message other than "nerf this class" or "pvp just isn't what it used to be".

Now, the exciting part about Rift in 3.0 will be the influx of people who will take an interest in other aspects of the game. I think there will be things that the PvP community will bring to the PvE community and it will give a lot of people an opportunity to channel the passion they have for raiding into Rift's PvP. There's a lot of guide writers that specifically write for PvE encounters, maximizing DPS or healing outputs... those people will inevitably get involved in the PvP aspect of Rift and there will undoubtedly be new, very good, players in warfronts.

I haven't PvP'd in over a year. I enjoyed the casual aspect of it and the rewarding grind of gear (keep in mind I played before lockboxes, which based on the feedback I've read, are a total disaster). I'm excited to get back into it with some of the guildies, it'll be fun to theory-craft compositions and specs again. Overall, the only things I'd like to see a bit more of is an open world feel again. Something CQ-like but with smaller groups of 8-10 that can roam the map and fight with other groups of 8-10... I'm not a big fan of 40-100 people fighting each other.

Anyway, not all is dead in the game. Please continue to play, please continue to make constructive conversations about improvements and help the developers build the game we want!

1) I guess you were not around before ABL started this whole premade thing,
    ABL wasn't the start of CQ premades, you just took it to another level.

but in the end the results of what is now going on in CQ is not what Aqua, Beer and Myself had envisioned. Instead of multiple groups fighting for glory there is just one.
    I guess I remember things differently because I remember our debates in Feb-March of 2013 when there were only ABL premades with 1-3 raids (even though you stopped doing the third) facing the pugs. I envisioned you breaking up the one premade into 3 since there were 3 leaders in ABL but you chose not to. That was also one group fighting for glory.

Edit - None of that is really relevant anymore but don't try to rewrite history. What server are you playing in ArcheAge?
    Last edited by Baramos; 10-07-2014 at 11:54 AM.

This is what I've heard and thus I've been reluctant to waste time in it. It sounded like Aion with more hackers and gold seller spam. I loved Aion, but eventually the super grind gets old.
    Shayde@Seastone

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast