+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: The fallacy of the 'but but Range' argument.

Champion of Telara

Default The fallacy of the 'but but Range' argument.

This is the worst argument melees use to justify their more overpowered souls. Range means almost nothing in Rift. Not even half of the situational encounters in Warfronts allow full range to be used. In addition almost all of the high DPS melee builds have access to multiple forms of pulls, charges, snares, leaps, and passive or active speed. Kiting was all but eliminated almost a year ago with the jumping patch.

Range is the red-headed step child of Rift and was consistently up until the Pyro boosts. This is why so many mages opted for duel, healing or control specs in the past. It's why you see more Shamans than Inqs, and WLs and Paragons than Tempests.

At most melee should have a 5% damage advantage over range since that is about equal to the intrinsic damage advantage range gives you (1 cast, 2 at most before any melee in the game can quickly and permanently close the distance).

Quote Originally Posted by Caeus View Post
    Range means almost nothing in Rift.
    If ranged has even remotely good positioning the difference is night and day from melee. Going from top 3 damage taken every game on my melee Warrior to middle of the pack damage taken on my ranged Rogue speaks for itself.

Playing full range is unbelievably easy, it's just that most good players like playing in melee range because it poses more of a challenge. The targeting system for range is to put it blatantly op.
    I am the meister of my body and soul.
    Euphoria is my virtue, and sense is my imagination.
    I have collapsed over a thousand times.
    Neither aware of restrain... nor known to be sane.
    I have no regrets, this is the only path.

"Pillar humping" is OP, nerf awareness.
    Currently playing- GW2, SMITE

Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    "Pillar humping" is OP, nerf awareness.
    High end PvP isn't Player vs Player it is Pillar vs Pillar

Caeus, install the range finder addon and learn to fight from 34m.

Or just roll a rogue or warrior if you think the grass is greener on this side. You can join the awesomeness to mankind and be in the likes of wrastion and dakkota.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by SpellwarriorX View Post
    Playing full range is unbelievably easy, it's just that most good players like playing in melee range because it poses more of a challenge. The targeting system for range is to put it blatantly op.
    Please tell me more about how challenging Warlord is to play, or Sin, or Paragon for that matter.

Please tell me more about how challenging Warlord is to play, or Sin, or Paragon for that matter.

Tell me how hard inq is to play, or defiler, or sent.

You have plenty of viable specs that other people have plenty of success in.

Caeus = best troll ever?
    Last edited by DrkC; 09-05-2014 at 07:26 AM.
    Fiveball@wolfsbane - Mage
    Tenball@wolfsbane - Rogue

Post some screenshots of you face rolling everyone on these specs then we can talk
    I am the meister of my body and soul.
    Euphoria is my virtue, and sense is my imagination.
    I have collapsed over a thousand times.
    Neither aware of restrain... nor known to be sane.
    I have no regrets, this is the only path.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by DrkC View Post
    Tell me how hard inq is to play, or defiler, or sent.

You have plenty of viable specs that other people have plenty of success in.

Caeus = best troll ever?
    Exactly. There are in fact no difficult specs and range has no advantage over melee. It's an excuse for holding onto a DPS and survivability advantage.

And 'positioning' is also way overrated, unless you are scoreboard hero and want to hide in the terrain sniping kills. If you want to be of any actual benefit to your team then you need to help control/cap objectives and neutralize healers.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by SpellwarriorX View Post
    Post some screenshots of you face rolling everyone on these specs then we can talk
    The fallacy of the 'but but Range' argument.-capture.jpg

Me leading a WF on my Freelancer geared Warlord months ago.

Champion of Telara

16-1 as WL/Pali and basically carrying my team. Also in FL gear.

The fallacy of the 'but but Range' argument.-capture2.jpg

There are in fact no difficult specs
    I can agree with that, but can you go two for two?

And 'positioning' is also way overrated,
    Nope, apparently not.
    Last edited by Baramos; 09-05-2014 at 08:03 AM.

I have screenshots - if I dig far enough - of me topping scoreboards or KB's with my Inq when it was 60 for the first week. Being a decent or good player doesn't prove much unfortunately in Rift. Well, it sort of shows balance is not as bad as people make it out to be. Put pretty much anyone semi good behind any calling and they will make something of it and be able to show you chart topping SS's. That is how Rift is.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Champion of Telara

If by 'positioning' you mean not face mashing in the middle of the fight then I'd agree.

If by 'positioning' you mean hiding behind or inside terrain objects to avoid being targeted then you are losing a ton of DPS (although obviously LOSing an attack is good).

If by 'positioning' you mean camping yourself at the furthest distance and sniping kills, then you're just a scoreboard hero who isn't helping your team kill the proper targets.

If by 'positioning' you mean learning to work the edges of a fight and moving around to the flanks of the battle then I agree to an extent, however the healers can fully heal their melees from a lot further than you can target the healers in most fights so you have to take that into account.

If you don't die a few times you probably aren't taking any risks, and if you aren't taking any risks you most likely aren't helping your team win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast