+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Aveleys

Thread: Pvp specs which detract dynamic gameplay

Soulwalker

Default Pvp specs which detract dynamic gameplay

I am going to list some pvp specs which take away from the dynamism and fun of pvp. Why these specs exist maybe has to do with raiding dynamics but I won't discuss the why but the consequences on pvp gameplay. I have 4 classes which are 50+ so I know class dynamics reasonably well. Currently I am pvping with a warrior in 50-59 bracket. So to the list:

1. Pyromancer. This is pretty obvious but a class that has 35m range and a 1GCD results in a lot of overlapping kill radiuses with damage that is pretty universal. You can't equip a shield that raises your resistances instead of armor and blocks spells. A breakfree on a 20 second cooldown makes it that much worse since they can not just disengage at will but then turn around and re-engage while you are inside not just the pyromancers kills radiuses but the entire enemy frontline's kill radius. Sergeant's order has a 20m radius so to use it you are still most likely going to have to walk into overlapping pyromancer kills radiuses. And even if you pluck the pyromancer forward and immediately stun they can still use breakfree and teleport away. Add to this a lengthy list of high damage instant cast and chain instant cast skills and fireball chain cooldowns and a 30m 8 second root on a 30 second cooldown that doesn't break on damage and a 30m 5 second stun on a 10 second cooldown!?!? This makes pvp mundane when faced with a battery of pyromancers since you can only engage one at a time and if you are a melee warrior you have to enter their kill radius and heavy nukes come from all directions and burn you down to nothing. The result of this is it would seem every other mage is a pyro. There was a time when you would see every mage soul except stormcaller in pvp and they were all effective.

2. Rogue healer. It heals a lot. Clerics should be the dominate healer.

3. 28 paladin. Shield of the Vengeful gives a 25% damage buff. Invigoration gives a 5% damage buff every time you block up to five stacks which overshadows Accord of Power. So from a tanking line you can get a 50% damage buff. Throw into that Light's Balm which can be spammed without cooldown in between fights or during target selection and Touch of life which instantly restores half your hp which should be quite high since you put 28 points into a tanking line; and the attacks that proc off block which quickly build your attack points and Righteous Charge which hits like a truck. This overshadows pretty much every other pvp build for warrior. Playing this you can come out of a warfront top killing blows, 0 deaths, top damage done, top damage taken, and top heals.

4. paragon/28 paladin/warlord. This is an endless stream of dungeon dps and with the Turn the Blade buff from Analyse Weakness lights balm is that much more effective and you never run out of power. Way of the mountain makes it that much stronger. Death Touch is the real game breaker though even with everything mentioned above. With a 15 second cooldown and an 8 second duration you can decrease a warrior's or rouges strength and dexterity by 80% which removes a good chunk of their crit and attack power and most of their block/dodge/parry. You can hide it under Tranquility very easily since the paragon is on a 1 GCD with Turn the Blade so even if your fighting say a warrior who has Spellbreaker they waste a GCD cleansing something pointless like Tranquility which is very easy to put in a macro along with Death Touch. The consequence is you win most 1 vs 1 against warriors and rogues unless you're fighting some weird hybrid bard (which is definitely weird because it's like the gaffer destroying Sauron with a mandolin) or a warrior using Death Touch.

5. warlord/28 paladin/3 beastmaster(or 4 riftblade). Run of the mill 2h block warlord with all the bells and whistles of a 28 paladin.

The consequence of 28 paladin is void night and reaver are worthless as off specs in comparison. e.g. You get a higher damage bonus as a Riftblade with Shield of the Vengeful before blocks than you would with the reaver's elemental damage boost.

Riftblade, reaver, voidnight, and champion are all pretty worthless in pvp because of the damage and durability provided by 28 paladin which in turn takes away from the dynamism and fun of pvp. Riftblade itself is pretty worthless because it's all generic melee attacks and Flamespear without anything special besides an aoe stun every minute. To have any hope of pressuring a healer you need both Stormblade and Avatar of Flame turned on. And if you max out riftblade you have a gimpy nightblade with low hp and armor that gets disentigrated by both fireball mages and marksmen. And Froststrike doesn't show as a buff so unless you use addons the only cue you get to it wearing off is low red text numbers coming from the target you're attacking

6. beastmaster. I only list this because at the start of a warfront like Whitefall Steppes or the Black Garden you can blow the two minute cooldowns and roll over the other team then switch souls. A 25% raid wide boost to maximum health for 30 seconds in a warfront merits no argument.

Based on this thread we can conclude you play a cleric and based on your complaining you must have died in pvp.

Welcome to the forums.

I saw a reference to paladin in pvp and stopped reading.

Soulwalker

I'll probably edit my post some time AKJV book of law style with parables to clarify points such as: "Currently I am pvping with a warrior". I can understand how this is confusing since "I" could be a cleric and "a warrior" can be any warrior and I could have wrote the original post while simultaneously pvping with a cleric against a warrior. Or "I" could be a cleric and "a warrior" could be a guild mate on my team and I am testifying to their gameplay. Or, and I think this is the interpretation with the strongest connotative properties, "I" is me and "with a warrior" defines the state of the first word "currently" such that when read it means: I, Windsock Glove, with my warrior class am pvping. On my warrior class in the quasi-static present; I am pvping. And the essence whereof my soul is derived is in communion with a warrior: Unidolatrious the relationship; In the domain of Rift - a mmo - in the recent past, present, and foreseeable future: A contest in the domain of Rift between character and character and between class and class; Where as the name of the tree defines the type of tree which it is so to does the class define the type of character which it is: And the character and class which I commune with( a warrior) contests with four classes, one of which is the same; The other three rogue, mage, and cleric: And all these define as a whole the events for which I testify.

running paly hybrid in wf in h4rdc9r3 l337 stuffz.

+ Reply to Thread