+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: The PVP in this game feels pay-to-win.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaUnicorn View Post
    You pay $15 a month to play WoW and you can literally have competitive PVP gear after a couple weeks of casual farming.

Rift is the polar opposite. You can either buy crates and boosts, or you can wait 3 months to slowly build your items because Trion has set it up to where a new player can only earn so many Warlord's Marks per week, meaning it could easily take the average player months just to have competitive gear.

If it comes down to spending a small fortune on boosts, and depleted supply crates, or subscribing to WoW and actually feeling rewarded for my actual game-play, and not greatly hindered due to being a new or returning player I'm going to choose WoW every single time.

I don't know anyone who wouldn't.
    you have clearly never actually played a pay to win game.
    Rift is free to Wait, instead. yes, it will take you longer, but you will get there, eventually, without spending a single dollar.
    please reserve the pay to win claims for games where it actually applies. games where a free player will never, ever have any chance what so ever of winning, no matter how long they play. (many such games can be found in the Asian mmo market)

the free to play model works by making you want stuff that can be acquired with real world cash.
    for the model to be successful, some players need to spend money. be grateful for those that are will to pay cash for what is essentially nothing more than ones and zeros on a server in Trions basement. they are subsidising your enjoyment of the game.

slightly related: news from a few years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by Aveleys View Post
    Except people who make that kind of money don`t spend all day playing a bad mmo. It`s for those of us in college where the alternative of studying seems worse than rift pvp (most the time).
    But that's exactly the point, they don't spend a lot of time playing an MMO. They're much more open-handed with their money than with their time, so F2P games try to make an environment where they can circumvent time (or other) commitments by spending money.

Quote Originally Posted by dday View Post
    This legit makes 0 sense and has nothing to do with anything pvp? Story? The analogy doesn't even make sense. You are awarded 0 points and may God have mercy on your soul
    Think he is saying, if your product can not keep a healthy customer base, they have to nickel and those that do stay. Instead of addressing why the business can not keep the customer base, to start with.
    "There are other aspects of the game that we want you to engage in."

~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    you have clearly never actually played a pay to win game.
    Rift is free to Wait, instead. yes, it will take you longer, but you will get there, eventually, without spending a single dollar.
    please reserve the pay to win claims for games where it actually applies. games where a free player will never, ever have any chance what so ever of winning, no matter how long they play. (many such games can be found in the Asian mmo market)

the free to play model works by making you want stuff that can be acquired with real world cash.
    for the model to be successful, some players need to spend money. be grateful for those that are will to pay cash for what is essentially nothing more than ones and zeros on a server in Trions basement. they are subsidising your enjoyment of the game.

slightly related: news from a few years ago...
    That of course, assumes they actually enjoy (or enjoyed) the game....

~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    But that's exactly the point, they don't spend a lot of time playing an MMO. They're much more open-handed with their money than with their time, so F2P games try to make an environment where they can circumvent time (or other) commitments by spending money.
    This. Rift will cater to them more and more. It's how f2p games survive. Unfortunately majority of players are pve and do pvp on the side. Trion will spend more resources for pve to entertain them.

One or two guilds dominating CQ and pugstomppin WF don't help. It becomes less fun for starters and unintended gating mechanism. Casuals don't have time to stick it out. They would rather do something else. No revenue from pvp means no improvements.

Plane Touched

PvPers don't need "new content". PvE players are our content. Make open world area, put some fluff-reward dailys in it, and watch World PvP blossom.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothi View Post
    PvPers don't need "new content". PvE players are our content. Make open world area, put some fluff-reward dailys in it, and watch World PvP blossom.
    Thats not owpvp. It's called slaughter...

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Escadora View Post
    I have a Real estate Business and 2 other up and coming businesses, and I don't blame them. when you're running a business like this (especially being this MMO is free to play) you as a developer, director, G.Prez/V.Prez have to come up with different ways of currency generation. how else are they gonna keep the servers up?.. That stuff cost money, people are being payed to up keep this game the way it is, from development to "voice overs" you name it, they pay people for this stuff, none of it is pro bono. But people who play this game young or old (the spoiled ones to add) wont see this concept. They have kids to feed just like others not into "gaming" with kids.

But people want the best gear.. eeeeeasy.. fast.. Not wanting the game to be interesting..
    You know the game also has a story line right?.. But I guess I should take this to the PvE threads right...

The average gamer never understands My posts anyways, but I bet if you took away a plate of food from a hungry "Gamer" he/she would definitely demand some answers..

As a business, you gotta eat, period.
    Rift had a budget of "over 50 million." They had over 100 million in revenue the first year. It took them 2 years to nearly obliterate their profit margins, forcing them to go free to play, something they said would NEVER HAPPEN.

Now considering they didn't even tap into the MAC OS audience and never updated their engine for later versions of dx, multicore support and better gpu optimization etc I would say they made absolutely terrible decisions with all their earnings and are continuing to invest in more losses into 3.0.

Those were no brain up ticks that should have been prioritized and would have increased profit margins forcing them to stabilize into a true WoW contender.

The other huge mistake was making a TWO faction game based on pve. Mind = blown with that one and the lack of development on pvp, Especially their refusal to develop a multi directional approach to balancing classes in pvp and pve without effecting each other.

From a development point of view excluding the introduction of new souls they have again made horrible decisions for the last 6 months. There saving grace was the introduction of the new souls which made it seem like they were making profit. All the changes to progression and rng, the new AH are making potential gamers and supporters put down the game for good.
    Last edited by Planetx; 08-13-2014 at 02:37 PM.

PA lvls also matter alot. I dont even know how much is max (1080?). A fresh lvl 60 will come with nearly no PA. I think all tiers just in pvp tree is 180 points. Thats 180 lvls to grind just to fill that... This game is harsh for newcommers and easy for veterans.
    "Did we just slip into some alternate dimension where I actually give a flying ducky about what you say and do?"

RIFT PvP has its P2W elements. People who drop money on depleted supply crates for runes/essences, or other credit boxes to get RICs, do have a stat advantage... you can literally buy power in that sense. The only counter argument, which gets repeated endlessly, is that since you can also get those things without paying, it's not P2W. This totally depends on what you define as P2W. Given the time it takes to max out a character's PvP gear without paying, and given the amount of people that actually reach that, I'd say it definitely is P2W to chain purchase boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Siphex View Post
    PA lvls also matter alot. I dont even know how much is max (1080?). A fresh lvl 60 will come with nearly no PA. I think all tiers just in pvp tree is 180 points. Thats 180 lvls to grind just to fill that... This game is harsh for newcommers and easy for veterans.
    except when you are at 0 PA the XP per level up is so low that it's only a matter of days to reach 180 (when trying)

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Sezex View Post
    Thats not owpvp. It's called slaughter...
    That's even better.

What PvP?

CQ is purely PvE except for the five minute warfront at the end.

Warfronts are an absolute joke and are not good indicators of skill because of terrible matchmaking.

PvP in this game is worth spending 30 minutes a week on, if that. You want PvP? Go play a good moba or any mainstream fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Planetx View Post
    Rift had a budget of "over 50 million." They had over 100 million in revenue the first year. It took them 2 years to nearly obliterate their profit margins, forcing them to go free to play, something they said would NEVER HAPPEN.

Now considering they didn't even tap into the MAC OS audience and never updated their engine for later versions of dx, multicore support and better gpu optimization etc I would say they made absolutely terrible decisions with all their earnings and are continuing to invest in more losses into 3.0.

Those were no brain up ticks that should have been prioritized and would have increased profit margins forcing them to stabilize into a true WoW contender.

The other huge mistake was making a TWO faction game based on pve. Mind = blown with that one and the lack of development on pvp, Especially their refusal to develop a multi directional approach to balancing classes in pvp and pve without effecting each other.

From a development point of view excluding the introduction of new souls they have again made horrible decisions for the last 6 months. There saving grace was the introduction of the new souls which made it seem like they were making profit. All the changes to progression and rng, the new AH are making potential gamers and supporters put down the game for good.
    Someone posted a link with thier one percent of the market share and 36 million in revenue. I was surprised they had that much....on the other hand, this game had the potential of being much higher. The bar must be set low at trion worlds...

~Daglar

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by ConclusionTheFirst View Post
    What PvP?

CQ is purely PvE except for the five minute warfront at the end.

Warfronts are an absolute joke and are not good indicators of skill because of terrible matchmaking.

PvP in this game is worth spending 30 minutes a week on, if that. You want PvP? Go play a good moba or any mainstream fps.
    That's not the point of warfront. Why would you want to measure other player's skill anyway? Besides academic approximation of 1v1 outcome, skill rating is moot in any complex multi-factor encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Aveleys View Post
    Except people who make that kind of money don`t spend all day playing a bad mmo. It`s for those of us in college where the alternative of studying seems worse than rift pvp (most the time).
    theres rich people out there playing this game otherwise no one would have the ridiculous max loyalty that hardly gives you anything thats worth it for all you need to spend for it.

or people buying full sets of t2 gear and weapons which cost like 600+

it sure aint college student buying that stuff.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast