+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Aveleys
  • 1 Post By LeCreaux
  • 1 Post By Sezex

Thread: Addressing a Stereo-Type

Default Addressing a Stereo-Type

I think Rift pvp is exceptional for multiple reasons which I can get into upon request but am not making that the focus of this thread; I want to address the vague stereo-type that Rift pvp is 'Bad'.

Our Warfronts do not have on-going issues with botters or afkers which have been serious detriments toward the enjoyment of pvp in other MMO's.

I do not specifically see an issue or set of issues that makes pvp in our game 'bad', regardless of comparison to another game, another player-base, or something that can be changed in a hot-fix that is specific to Rift Warfronts.

I revolve my game time around pvp in Rift and fit in other activities where I can. If I wanted to I could stay awake for 48 hours and pvp non-stop here however: we have both night and day regulars in Warfronts as well as people that drift in and out of the game on short-term stints.

The state of pvp isn't so stale that I know what to expect from an opposing team until both sides are full and we've had at least one significant initial skirmish. I've leveled 3 mages and 3 clerics to 60 since F2P launched, geared each at least as far as Warlord and have had 2 prestige rank 90's. I have struggled in full Myrm as of recently against certain teams and have topped either (or both) damage and healing at the end of some matches where I was rockin' a hybrid of leveling greens and Freelancer's.

I am no more a trion fanboi than someone who truthfully enjoys the game and these are my reasons for sticking with Rift as my primary mmo-pvp game, in addition to the fact it is medieval fantasy themed (+1 for the slice of Magitech, Trion!).

I also addressed some issues other games have that we do not here... am I missing something? ^_^

The stereotype is rift pvpers are bad.

Rift pvp being bad is just a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Narcoth View Post
    Our Warfronts do not have on-going issues with botters or afkers which have been serious detriments toward the enjoyment of pvp in other MMO's.
    the fact that botters and afkers aren't a problem is more of a sign that Rift's pvp has a problem.

they are a problem distinct from the problems of rifts pvp, not the sole problem of pvp itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    the fact that botters and afkers aren't a problem is more of a sign that Rift's pvp has a problem.

they are a problem distinct from the problems of rifts pvp, not the sole problem of pvp itself.
    Botting and afking are manipulation of a pvp system: it is present in Age of Conan where you have to organize queueing with other players in order to even play a matched of instanced pvp which can be due to low interest for pvp there coupled with the faintly populated player-base. I do not see a link to a game's pvp success and the occurrence of manipulating it's pvp system.

Your statement does not explain any inherent problems with pvp in Rift nor even show the link between manipulating a pvp system and a successful state of pvp you vaguely attempted to make.

Rift PvP must be fun to a lot of people or there wouldn't be so many people doing it. In my opinion, the answer is here and the solution is to roll your eyes while shaking your head.

Rifts pvp is a slave of rifts pve. "Kill same dragon avoiding same red circle on the ground for 10000-th time" content is whats rift about, not competitive pvp experience.
    I cant even imagine how much of a nerd u got to be to play pve in any game. It's like a 30 year old man playing with barbie.... weird....

Pvp on the other hand is all about killing other humans that are controlling the character. It is in our nature to kill each other, not imaginary dragons and hobbits.

Sezex: I agree with your idea that pvp is for advanced players and caters to people wanting a greater challenge since it is more to do with reaction time in an unpredictable scenario and controlling a character in combat against human intelligence. (I remember the first game I had played online against a person was a match of Command and Conquer: Red Alert and I was sweating anxiety bullets over it!)

Same as anything people have their preferences though: pvevp is like Dance Dance Revolution to Tekken.
    Playing a musical instrument is memorization of a sequence which you use your motor skills to express, like pve; I think there's room for recognition to it.

Pvp is a stronger show of more combined skill sets where raiding is like you said... a synchronized Barbie party.

The state of PvP is extremely stale and it appears to be going nowhere.

A new warfront was not wanted or needed. Godlike should not have to carry this community so that there is a smidgen of new content or new direction in PvP. But nonetheless they are, while Trion keeps spitting out vague assurances and PvPers keep feeding them pipe dream requests.

THAT is why Rift PvP is bad; It has no future, no direction and no one who's pulling the strings seems to give a damn.

Personal prefer at least 5.1 types.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

stereotypes

all warriors have massive ego problems and throw tantrums like toddlers

all rogues are bad

all clerics are middle-aged balding white guys or stay-at-home moms

all mages are smug a-holes who use 20 keybinds and also rp on faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by Appendy View Post

all rogues are bad
    We call it reality.

Quote Originally Posted by ConclusionTheFirst View Post
    The state of PvP is extremely stale and it appears to be going nowhere.

A new warfront was not wanted or needed. Godlike should not have to carry this community so that there is a smidgen of new content or new direction in PvP. But nonetheless they are, while Trion keeps spitting out vague assurances and PvPers keep feeding them pipe dream requests.

THAT is why Rift PvP is bad; It has no future, no direction and no one who's pulling the strings seems to give a damn.

Rift PvP is really fun. It's tons and tons of fun but it's lacking purpose. There's no purpose in PvP other than to go around killing other players for no rhyme or reason.

In real life people 'PvP' for an ultimate goal whether it's power, money, control. In this game there is non of that. There are zero incentives/objectives/purposes. Most all other MMOs have that same issue.
    Take wow for example, no purpose for pvp other than to pvp so they came up with a carrot and stick solution for this problem, namely arenas.

Rift has two factions and six races and so many different guilds, all of which have no purpose for existence other than an insignificant plot and insignificant perks. why not give them something to fight over/for?
    Last edited by toodles; 08-10-2014 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by toodles View Post
    carrot and stick
    Funny you mention this.

In Ocarina of Time I used to progress through the game, get my Epona mount, and sometimes offer carrots for speed boost, but mainly as this coincided with unlocking the fishing mini-game which had no rhyme or reason and was arguably the best part of any game to date.

Rogues:

+ Reply to Thread