+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What if Prestige Rank only offered cosmetic rewards?

Rift Disciple

Default What if Prestige Rank only offered cosmetic rewards?

And the PVP in this game was actually competitive and skill-based? Would that upset anyone? And why?
    Last edited by AlphaUnicorn; 07-29-2014 at 02:11 AM.

If a grin on your face count as a cosmetic reward I think you just described Forum PvP.

it's all fun and games til someone losses an eye.
    It is what it is. Unless it isn't.

Yeah, that'd be great to see a bunch of Bahmi male maids in warfronts.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaUnicorn View Post
    And the PVP in this game was actually competitive and skill-based? Would that upset anyone? And why?
    ranked 5v5 black garden offers no rewards and is more competitive and skill based than regular warfronts.

it is also dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

I still haven't touched a moba. I would hope to accidentally log into one expecting my usual RPG.

Maybe people in bad gear should just... get better gear? It's not hard, the gap is smallest it's every been, and with CQ and p2w shop easiest to climb.

If PvP was on equal grounds, and ranks and rewards were cosmetic, there would be 0 reason to play anymore. This game doesn't have an even remotely competitive format, there would be nothing to play for without gear treadmill / carrot on a stick. It could work if they actually bothered to set up different formats, like this, this or even this

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    ranked 5v5 black garden offers no rewards and is more competitive and skill based than regular warfronts.

it is also dead.
    That is also because of the gear disparity. You're talking to a former WoW player whose sole purpose for logging into WoW was to participate in Arenas. But would I even attempt to play competitive matches with anything less than full Myrmidon's? Nope. Once again it falls right back to the original complaint.

Remove the massive gear disparity between veterans and new players, and throw in a few mounts, titles, or other cosmetic rewards based off of your success in Ranked War Fronts and I guarantee people will suddenly start playing them.
    Last edited by AlphaUnicorn; 07-29-2014 at 12:35 PM.

I would grind prestige for boobs buff for my H. Elfs(Elves?)...
    ...or battle dyez.
    Last edited by Morwath; 07-29-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan View Post
    If PvP was on equal grounds, and ranks and rewards were cosmetic, there would be 0 reason to play anymore.
    And yet millions of people still queue for WoW PVP every single day. The best or most dedicated players in the game don't get better equipment, they get a few cosmetic rewards such as a mount, a title, and different looking armor that offers no stats.

Haven't played for 6 months, or are new player? Instead of being given a massive gear disadvantage against players with much more experience than you, you can actually catch up to them in about 1-2 days of grinding.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/wow/guides/conquest-catchup

This doesn't effect the early-to-mid-season at all. Players who are dedicated to daily PVP still have the most competitive edge early in the season, but at 3+ months in Blizzard doesn't expect brand new players to fight fully arena geared veterans. Which is essentially what you have when you compare Freelancer's and even Warlord's to Myrmidon's.

The only argument I think anyone can make for having such a huge gap in gear is the Rift store. Other than that there really isn't any logical one. PVP is supposed to be about skill, not grind-to-win (P2W?).
    Last edited by AlphaUnicorn; 07-29-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    I still haven't touched a moba. I would hope to accidentally log into one expecting my usual RPG.

Maybe people in bad gear should just... get better gear? It's not hard, the gap is smallest it's every been, and with CQ and p2w shop easiest to climb.
    No one said getting PVP gear was "hard." The complaint is that there should NOT be a 90 Rank gap between entry level gear, and optimal gear. When you look at every other MMO (WoW, GW2, FF XIV etc.) on the market and there is no such thing as a "gear advantage" it really does give Rift a pay-to-win feel.

But then again, you literally said players should pay-to-win anyways, so trying to have a debate with someone like you who doesn't understand competitive or skill-based PVP is pointless.

Maybe you should read the OP more thoroughly next time.
    Last edited by AlphaUnicorn; 07-29-2014 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaUnicorn View Post
    That is also because of the gear disparity. You're talking to a former WoW player whose sole purpose for logging into WoW was to participate in Arenas. But would I even attempt to play competitive matches with anything less than full Myrmidon's? Nope. Once again it falls right back to the original complaint.

Remove the massive gear disparity between veterans and new players, and throw in a few mounts, titles, or other cosmetic rewards based off of your success in Ranked War Fronts and I guarantee people will suddenly start playing them.
    you know nothing, John Snow.

the ranked black garden bolsters players up to myrmidon.
    admittedly there is still a disparity between bolstered and fully runed BiS epic myrmidon, but the gear gap is far smaller, hence skill plays a larger role.

Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

ranked players should have better gear, they earned it! it's not like the stat difference is overwhelming, either. play well --> win.

what is OP on about?
    It is what it is. Unless it isn't.

LOL @ skill in PvP! This made my day xD
    Arrass@Derpwood
    Harass@DeepWood

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeTeaOr View Post
    ranked players should have better gear, they earned it! it's not like the stat difference is overwhelming, either. play well --> win.

what is OP on about?
    so I get together with nine guildies, five on mains, five on alts. we queue the ranked BG outside of primetime, ensuring we only face each other.
    the alts throw the match to mains, purposefully losing in as short a time as possible. rinse and repeat until max rank is reached by the mains.
    hooray! now we have better gear. we earned it!

No brain cells were harmed in the making of this motion picture. Indeed, none were even used

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast