+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Conquest is possibly the worst PVP experience I've ever had in any game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    conquest is intended as a surrogate for large scale open world pvp.
    it is intended to be a breeding ground for premades.

if you don't want to play in a conquest dominated by premades, there is a solo option for you. it is called open world pve. you can solo just about all the content you like there, and if you are doing so on a pvp shard you might even find the occasional pvp interaction with other players.

P.S. you might like to consider joining premades led by Theodoremaximillian, he has a refreshingly different take on PM game play. rather than delaying the timer and hunting down pugs, he intentionally pushes the timer by repeatedly crashing his zerg into more powerful opponents and running down the kill count faster than any third faction can cap 66% of extractors.
    Open world PvP does not offer the progression and BiS gear or currencies that CQ has. It is really not comparable, maybe in prime time you would see PMs like it is on CQ. Again, they have taken a concept and made it an instance. That is where the problem is and why these threads will never die.
    "There are other aspects of the game that we want you to engage in."

~Daglar

conquest is intended as a surrogate for large scale open world pvp.
    it is intended to be a breeding ground for premades.

if you don't want to play in a conquest dominated by premades, there is a solo option for you. it is called open world pve. you can solo just about all the content you like there, and if you are doing so on a pvp shard you might even find the occasional pvp interaction with other players.

P.S. you might like to consider joining premades led by Theodoremaximillian, he has a refreshingly different take on PM game play. rather than delaying the timer and hunting down pugs, he intentionally pushes the timer by repeatedly crashing his zerg into more powerful opponents and running down the kill count faster than any third faction can cap 66% of extractors.
    lol @theo. I didn't realize it was a strat and I thought he was just a bad leader!

Quote Originally Posted by RainDogs View Post
    lol @theo. I didn't realize it was a strat and I thought he was just a bad leader!
    it is not exactly a new strat. has been used throughout the ages, having first been developed by one of histories greatest warrior/philosophers - Zapp Brannigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lords0fpain View Post
    Open world PvP does not offer the progression and BiS gear or currencies that CQ has. It is really not comparable, maybe in prime time you would see PMs like it is on CQ. Again, they have taken a concept and made it an instance. That is where the problem is and why these threads will never die.
    pvp dailies in the open world offer the same currency, and you'd get RiCs faster doing DKP runs than through CQ. in fact you'd probably get DiCs faster from buying crates with warlord marks acquired from warfront dailies.

Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

General of Telara

Roll a rogue and play sin. Stalk the stretched out raids as they move between locations, kill the stragglers and squishies. Smile diabolically observing that poor peasant on his 90% mount slowly walking into his death. Map makes it easy to predict where people are and where they'll head next. Stragglers are everywhere, people stay behind to upgrade turrets because they are dumb or they just stand around blinking stupidly because they are even dumber. Or they are just plain lost and have no clue where to go and are moving around randomly waiting to get killed. It's like being in heaven.

Since I started playing cq this way I began to enjoy it greatly. Ofc the amount of favor and prestige you get this way is very low, since rift rewards holding down W in a mob more than it does individual initiative, aggressiveness and effort because otherwise the world would end, but the fun factor compensates for me.
    Last edited by Vrab; 07-28-2014 at 09:28 PM.
    Ervun@Typhiria Vrablord@Typhiria
    Apotheosys
    HK 10/11

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Vrab View Post
    Roll a rogue and play sin. Stalk the stretched out raids as they move between locations, kill the stragglers and squishies. Smile diabolically observing that poor peasant on his 90% mount slowly walking into his death. Map makes it easy to predict where people are and where they'll head next. Stragglers are everywhere, people stay behind to upgrade turrets because they are dumb or they just stand around blinking stupidly because they are even dumber. Or they are just plain lost and have no clue where to go and are moving around randomly waiting to get killed. It's like being in heaven.

Since I started playing cq this way I began to enjoy it greatly. Ofc the amount of favor and prestige you get this way is very low, since rift rewards holding down W in a mob more than it does individual initiative, aggressiveness and effort because otherwise the world would end, but the fun factor compensates for me.
    On my cleric I'd always just sentinel and stay behind and buff turrets. Those rogues in their stealth thought they were going for an easy gank and I would just self heal while those turrets killed the poor dumb SOB's that couldn't figure out they'd lost and should run for it XD
    Last edited by Kenjitamura; 07-28-2014 at 09:44 PM.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kenjitamura View Post
    On my cleric I'd always just sentinel and stay behind and buff turrets. Those rogues in their stealth thought they were going for an easy gank and I would just self heal while those turrets killed the poor dumb SOB's that couldn't figure out they'd lost and should run for it XD
    Well a rogue that attacks a healer under turrets is pretty dumb himself. :P

Sin enjoys an absolute advantage in initiative, smart play means you don't ever get caught in such a position. You obviously wouldn't go for a sent upgrading turrets, or anyone upgrading turrets for that matter while they are actually doing it but when they mount up and try to leave.
    Ervun@Typhiria Vrablord@Typhiria
    Apotheosys
    HK 10/11

Plane Touched

pvp dailies in the open world offer the same currency, and you'd get RiCs faster doing DKP runs than through CQ. in fact you'd probably get DiCs faster from buying crates with warlord marks acquired from warfront dailies.
    Some people go out of their way to get DICs, 160 boost and everything.

Unfortunately 2 of the pvp weeklies are tied into CQ.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaUnicorn View Post
    Why is it mandatory?

In it's current state Conquest is easily the least skill-involved, and most exploited portion of Rift PVP. It doesn't matter how good you are at your class, you are not going to have much of an impact on the outcome of a match. And if you aren't part of the pre-made the chances of you actually winning are slim to none.

I'm okay with Conquest being in the game, but it shouldn't be the only route for gear progression because:

-It's regularly exploited. I don't actually understand why pre-mades are even allowed to exist in the first place. Pre-mades aside, in a perfect world, you still only have about a 33% chance of winning your match due to there being 3 different factions. With pre-mades, it's more like 10%. That's asking a lot out of players -- to play a 40+ minute game where you might win once every 10 games or so.

-Of all PVP modes, Conquest is the least reflective of personal skill, or effort. You can play your heart out or AFK the entire time, the outcome is going to be the same. In a Warfront you can have a major impact on the outcome of a match, and if you AFK, you'll likely draw attention to yourself.

There are a ton of other problems, such as mindless zerg-festing not being fun. The fact that you have to play a ranged character if you don't want to be seriously gimped. Terrible frame-rate. Huge time investment. etc.
    This is all false. Everyone knows conquest is a PvE experience.

Quote Originally Posted by asianguywithacamera View Post
    Unfortunately 2 of the pvp weeklies are tied into CQ.
    you can easily complete one just by joining at timer (win a CQ)

you can probably complete the other during the course of a week just by timer joining and farming at eye too.
    its a rare week that I haven't complete the kill quest by the day after reset, just by pugging it.

Soulwalker

whats the big deal about premades?

isn't this an mmo?

Quote Originally Posted by Landstalker View Post
    If no skill is involved then why do the pugs perform so poorly against pms in the first place? I expected better from you boots, whats happened to your epic one liners?
    stacked heals mostly. their raid comps weren't any good but i didn't bother arguing. most of the people leading raids don't have all that much knowledge when it comes to what various specs or souls are capable of, a good example was trying to get spots in a premade as cab before the changes when i first rolled my cleric and everyone wanting sabs instead. "can you get on your rogue and sab?" when i was already in the pm as cab was pretty common.

and here's the pre-nerf cab that almost no one wanted until a few weeks before it was changed: http://www.twitch.tv/sinecru/c/4021875

the truth is that the vast majority of pm's consist of terrible players held up by a few good or great ones. i wrote my sab guide because in ever premade i was in, they were all ****ing terrible and couldn't even spam one macro correctly. did it help? nope. the people in hk and prophecy pm's still can't even play the spec properly and it's a complete mystery to me as to why.

same goes for heals and whatever else. playing defiler for a premade and out healing everyone but maybe one warden or one chloro? that was pretty normal for the most part.

most people just wanna get carried, which is why i don't bother anymore.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Your right. I loved having good cabs. Wasnt many back then who knew how to really play it but it would top dps often, i preferred two sabs, two cabs and a SC (static flux/burst aoe) myself back then. More than two sabs especially if alot of them didnt know any better would screw up those who did know better.
    Landslide - Greybriar. ( Vendetta )
    (\_xxLand_/)
    RIP RatedX. >.<!

you can easily complete one just by joining at timer (win a CQ)

you can probably complete the other during the course of a week just by timer joining and farming at eye too.
    its a rare week that I haven't complete the kill quest by the day after reset, just by pugging it.
    Regardless of how you get it, you're still doing cq.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast