+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Does anyone actually think re-applying buffs every 5 seconds is fun?

Rift Disciple

Default Does anyone actually think re-applying buffs every 5 seconds is fun?

I love the idea of purge being in the game, and that a well timed purge can completely ruin another player's burst -- this is actual skilled and meaningful gameplay.

But when the same skill is being spammed so much that I spend more time re-applying 3 poisons and my raid buff than I do actually using my combat abilities it feels extremely watered down, and it makes the game not even fun for me to play.

To put it into perspective, for anyone who ever played WoW, can you imagine if a Rogue could spam disarm once every 5-10 seconds? That's essentially what purge is in the current state of this game and that's the most toxic, anti-fun, and non skill-requiring ability I've personally ever experienced in any PVP environment.

Rift Master

Makes me sad my inquisitor purge has a longer than 5s cd. But no, re-applying buffs isn't fun. It's one thing when the buffs are useful but not mandatory. What really sucks is when you have a buff with a 2min or so cd that's purgable, and this buff represents a large chunk of your burst.

I can't call it the most anti-fun pvp thing I've found however. That award goes to Aion. Spiritmasters being able to chain fear players and groups, with no break free that works on it, and fear that doesn't break on damage...I believe that's worse than constant purging.

But hey, a bright side: Whoever's purging you every 5s is using that gcd at the expense of dps. Unless its a soul who has an off-gcd purge.

Prophet of Telara

Everybody knows BM's passive purge is OP, no need to make threads about it. ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by elfaraon View Post
    you really need to play more pyro . I bet you are a warrior or rogue so your opinion is not accurate at all. By the way pyro is not even close to have the highest burst in the game tell that to a sin or warlord

Archon and bm purge need to go.so dumb to be able to spam purges, I guess the only saving grace is neither spec does any damage if they are purging non stop

I heard they can also purge slip away.

Wait no they can't.

I enjoy it. It's a verification of player awareness and the fact that there is no stopping us from bashing your face in.

lol i gotta say i get such a kick out ruining a rogues day by removing all their poisons , and you know theres alot of them. but yeah pyrochon is op in that sense. i mean i guess you could have a mage on your team do the same. too many mages ignore just how powerful and aoe purge from range is.

Quote Originally Posted by dday View Post
    Archon and bm purge need to go.so dumb to be able to spam purges, I guess the only saving grace is neither spec does any damage if they are purging non stop
    isnt bm a single target purge? i mean at least bm has to get in the fray chon does it from range on everyone.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ConclusionTheFirst View Post
    I enjoy it. It's a verification of player awareness and the fact that there is no stopping us from bashing your face in.
    Player awareness should be required morso on the purgers part, not the player who is being purged. IE. Purge being on a lengthy cool down, and having to be used wisely. Use it now and remove Planebound Resilience, or time it perfectly and shut down the Rogue's burst (Poison Malice) ? That type of Purging is fun, and requires much more player awareness / skill.

The current purging is just toxic, and any player who even takes PVP moderately serious has NKREBUFF installed - which pops up and tells you as soon as you've been purged. Having this happen the entire 20 minutes of a match is not player awareness, it's just annoying.

Like I said, spamming 4 buffs for 20 minutes straight is not fun, skilled or meaningful gameplay.
    Last edited by AlphaUnicorn; 07-23-2014 at 06:45 AM.

It aint going away, that's for sure.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by zasen View Post
    lol i gotta say i get such a kick out ruining a rogues day by removing all their poisons , and you know theres alot of them. but yeah pyrochon is op in that sense. i mean i guess you could have a mage on your team do the same. too many mages ignore just how powerful and aoe purge from range is.
    It wouldn't be as bad if it were a once every 2 minutes thing, but when it's literally happening faster than I can re-apply my buffs it's just game breaking and makes me wish I were any other class.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaUnicorn View Post
    Player awareness should be required morso on the purgers part, not the player who is being purged. IE. Purge being on a lengthy cool down, and having to be used wisely. Use it now and remove Planebound Resilience, or time it perfectly and shut down the Rogue's burst (Poison Malice) ? That type of Purging is fun, and requires much more player awareness / skill.
    It's not a matter of cool down... at the current state of the game you cannot use a purge as a quick, reactive countermove, since it strips buffs starting from the first casted, then moving up. You have to spam it to get to the core stuff.

Anyway both purges and cleanses are a bit out of control lately... they could use some tweaking.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=806168&dateline=13715  70211

This was bad for souls like bard, when they had a 5sec(?) recast time of their health/stat buffs. But now most of the buffs are instant so it just take diligence on the part of the player to keep them up.

Hell some specs can't do serious dmg so purge is all they have to contribute lol.
    Last edited by Talzoor; 07-23-2014 at 08:02 AM.

When Eradicate had no CD, when I threw in the towel I would just rage eradicate people. Not going to lie, I'd rather just get flattened with two 15k hits than get purged non stop. I've called out of WF's because of purging feeling like it's focused on me . Pet peeve hah.
    Last edited by Violacea; 07-23-2014 at 08:08 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Champion of Telara

It isn't like you get to choose what you Purge. At least 50% of the time Purge hits some random raid buff and not what you'd want it to (Poisons, Alacrity etc).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast