+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kertic

Thread: Kertic's compendium for PvP DPS

Soulwalker

Default Kertic's compendium for PvP DPS

The guide I saw for playing DPS made me sad. Here's my take on Rift DPSing in pvp for the first-timer

When playing DPS, your role is to be the fighting power. That means doing damage is our first and main priority. Now, its important to know this: You can win a pvp match without a single person dying on either side.

What I mean by this is that getting a kill is not the most important thing.

Lets break down what it means to do damage.

Doing damage is using your class' resources and turning it into NEGATIVE HP
    After doing damage equal to someones HP, they die.

Now, here is the key point as to why PvP is different from PvE

If that person can use skills to create POSITIVE HP known as healing then you must be able to creating the corresponding amount of damage to counteract that.

This is why PvP is interesting and makes people get angry and never go to warfronts.

As a damaging role, your job is to both create damage, and counteract their ability to heal. Damaging is the simple part: Use your skills to create pressure on the enemy. But counteracting healing is the harder part. Here is where the actual guide starts.

Pressuring a healer directly

When trying to negate healing, there are two methods. By using skills known as CC to disable their ability to heal themselves, or by draining their resources. Different callings have different resources: Warriors and Rogues both have a quickly gaining resource called energy, and a secondary resource. For rogues, its combo points and warriors have attack points.

Clerics and mages both use a resource called mana, which they have a large pool of that generates slowly. When either of these resources are completely drained you are able to damage them and they cannot heal. Unfortuantly, this type of strategy is very hard to pull off due to the insanly large groups of people all attacking at once, and healers usually have enough dps helping them that you wont have time to drain all of their mana, and energy can quickly regenerate anyways.

So we're left with the use of CC to stop their healing. The main types of cc that will be used are Stuns and Debilitates.

Stuns

Stuns completely remove a characters ability to act or do anything manually, although passives effects and buffs are still active. When a healer is stunned, they are at the most vulnerable. However, using a Stun or Debilitate will cause them to become immune to the effects of either for a period of time after the effect wears off. The healer can than use this time to heal all of the damage you created.

Therefore, it is important to use a stun when they could receive damage equal to their remaining health.

Debilitate

A Debilitate removes their ability to use most skills and abilities, but they still retain control of their character. This means they can move around and get close to their team to get help. However, they cannot heal themselves.

Therefore its good to use a Debilitate to get their health down and prepare them to be stunned after the invulnerable period wears off.

By using well timed cc's to disable a healer, you can create enough damage to equal their health and this results in a kill. A dead healer isnt healing, and then the dps are able to be killed with much more ease.

Pressuring a healer indirectly

This tactic is much easier to do, but also less effective. It functions best when combined with the other tactic

Basically, to pressure a healer indirectly, damage someone else... This make the healer have to heal them or they die.

The reason this is important is because if you do both(preferably with another teammate) the healer will be severely crippled in their ability to do their job.

After you have managed to kill the healers via the above section, you are ready to face other DPS.

Killing another DPS

The most optimal fight against a DPS is a 1v1. Most fights function based on the tactics you would use, as most DPS should and do pick one target to kill and focus them until they die.

The main goal of fighting other dps (when no healers are involved) is to create enough damage to equal their hp before they do the same to you.

Breaking down the goal, we have two things to do: Create damage, and stop their damage.

As with healers, creating damage is the easy part. Being able to to stop their damage is harder.

We will break it down to 3 catagories: Self protection, Hard CC, and Soft CC.

Self protection

Most DPS classes will have skills that enable them to receive less damage from an opponent. These skills can come in the form of a straight damage reduction, such as "20% less damaged received for 6 seconds" Or can come in the form of specific types of damage such as "35% less Physical damage received for 6 seconds."

To function properly, you must know what kind of damage the opponent is dealing. If they are dealing death damage, and you have a skill to counteract it, use that skill to take less damage. If they are using multiple types of damage, use a generic damage reduction skill.

Hard CC

This kind of CC enables you to damage the opponent during the duration of the CC while they are unable to do the same. This applies the Immunity as it does with healers, so beware. This type of CC includes Stuns and Debilitates.

You would use either CC for the same reason: To give yourself an advantage over your opponent. Using this enables you to keep doing damage without your opponent being able to return it, so their health goes down while yours stays still.

Soft CC

This CC keeps your opponent from doing damage as long as you don't damage them. This kind of CC is mainly found in a root, which has its own immunity separate from Hard CC. Use this when your opponent is using skills that have long cooldowns but enable them to boost their damage. You do this because you cant compete with their damage for the duration of their boost, so you disable them.

By rooting an opponent, you disable them from moving, but not turning or casting ranged spells. To completely remove someones ability to do damage form a root, you need to root them and make sure they cannot see you until their boost goes away. This way they cannot damage you at all and their power boost is essentially wasted.

Summing it all up

The point of a DPS is to provide the main damage for your team. To kill people, you must create more damage then they have HP+more damage then they're healing for. Because of this, you generally want to kill healers first, and then kill the DPS to keep your team from dying.

Use CC and Damage together to maximize your ability to do your duty, and always remember:

The opponent is a player too, and they're trying do their role at the same time.

Thank you, and good luck!

**NOTE** Feel free to leave any suggestions in the comments below. Any help for newcomers is appreciated!

Soulwalker

--Reserved--

Soulwalker

FIRST!!!!111!!!!!!! []
    o

Quote Originally Posted by Kertic View Post
    The point of a DPS is to provide the main damage for your team. To kill people, you must create more damage then they have HP+more damage then they're healing for. Because of this, you generally want to kill healers first, and then kill the DPS to keep your team from dying.
    Great guide overall, thank you for posting.

I have a different playstyle though, I will always go after the target that I think has the best chance of dying. While I think it is a good idea for a team to keep tabs on opposing Doms, I will generally go after targets who are overextended or in another bad position or those already at low health as opposed to tunnel visioning healers.
    MMO VAULT (Video Game Music) ➜ https://www.youtube.com/c/VideoGameMusicSoundtrack

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
    Great guide overall, thank you for posting.

I have a different playstyle though, I will always go after the target that I think has the best chance of dying. While I think it is a good idea for a team to keep tabs on opposing Doms, I will generally go after targets who are overextended or in another bad position or those already at low health as opposed to tunnel visioning healers.
    I agree, if a healer is unable to heal a DPS faster than they're receiving damage, be it because enough people are focusing them or they're out of posistion, then by all means, secure a kill. As long as that kill does something more than remove and opponent and add a killing blow to the scoreboard. Otherwise i would tend to disagree, because one dead enemy wont always be as significant as one dead fang holder or AOE burster.

But, yes. If a dps runs around, feel free to pick them off haha.

+ Reply to Thread