+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Aveleys' Guide to Playing -DPS-

Default Aveleys' Guide to Playing -DPS-

No one in Rift can dps anymore, even “premades” pitifully only run doms and healers now, so I have decided to enlighten the player base on how to dps.

1- Spec.

Rift has a selection of dps specs for each class, these are cookie cutter specs and if you don’t run them you are probably bad.

Cleric: Inquisitor, Shaman

Rogue: Assassin, Nightblade, Marksman

Warrior: Warlord, Paragon

Mage: Pyromancer (poor mages)

Every spec is a 61 point build, although I could list ideal off souls, the people who want to experiment will run whatever for off souls, but use 61 points in the main souls.

The idea of “my spec is good because I came up with it” is completely clueless with how this game (unfortunately) works.

Why run these specs?

Each of these specs are designed to burst or sustain damage. Rift pvp revolves around cooldown management, so good players use these souls to force opposing players to burn their defensive cool downs in order to get the kills.

Even though other dps souls can look nice on the scoreboard against unhealed pugs in pve gear, these are the ideal specs and what good players will run in competitive fights.

2 – Target Priority

The constant spam in warfront chat to attack healers first is wrong.

Attack players who are out of position.

Healers with 40 000 – 50 000 HP are a waste of time to target when they have all their defensive cool-downs ready, instead force them to waste their cool-downs early on in the warfront on their dps team mates. Once key cool-downs such as: Unstable transformation, Healer’s covenant, Flame of Life, endless physician saves have been used then move onto targeting healers.

Obviously target priority always changes in pvp with its fluid nature, but try attacking enemy players who will require defensive cool-downs to survive, instead of beating on 45 000 hp physicians with all their cool-downs available.

3 – Assisting

Assisting means targeting the same players as your team mates. This is easy, all you do is pick a dps on your team, open your macros, make a macro with the command: /assist (name of dps). Spam this macro and it will give you that player’s targets.

Remember: Not all dps who assist are good, but any dps who doesn’t assist is automatically bad.

4 – Surviving

This entire guide is centered on forcing opposing healers to waste their cool-downs by using burst specs. When playing dps, use common sense and don’t run into the middle of 10 people and waste your entire group’s defensive cool-downs.

Dps who die are a liability to their group.

When being focused, kite the damage with speed boosts and pay attention to when opposing dps are trying to burst you. Otherwise you’re the liability that this guide is made to exploit. The rogue who dies 10 times in a warfront actually just made their healers much easier to kill, regardless of what they think they accomplished.

If you have questions post below or PM me.
    Last edited by Aveleys; 07-20-2014 at 11:57 AM.

it's cute to see someone who came from running 5mans and loling at soloqueuers to now constantly complaining since you have been limited to duo queueing with a warrior

can't tell if this is a troll post or if you're just oblivious to what specs are actually good in pvp.

Ascendant

Ranger is better burst then MM. MM has the purge. Id go ranger though. Subspec NB for increased finisher damage and state of sloth which snares enemies so they cant run in and out for heals. Extra 10% damage to boot. Most people subspec MM.

It works even in heal wfs, just not the impossibly ridiculous heal wfs. Thats when you go NB.

Other then that id agree. I only play burst specs anymore, which is why i find overall damage done as funny. Waiting for your cds and loading healers up is how you burst them down. Dps too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    Ranger is better burst then MM. MM has the purge. Id go ranger though. Subspec NB for increased finisher damage and state of sloth which snares enemies so they cant run in and out for heals. Extra 10% damage to boot. Most people subspec MM.

It works even in heal wfs, just not the impossibly ridiculous heal wfs. Thats when you go NB.

Other then that id agree. I only play burst specs anymore, which is why i find overall damage done as funny. Waiting for your cds and loading healers up is how you burst them down. Dps too.
    I don't rate ranger because of how easy it is to kill the pet and shut down a good one and their lack of survival. A good player on a ranger will still do well, but that same player on a previously mentioned spec is more "ideal".

Missing a lot of specs here

mages have some new hybrids that seem to hit hard

warriors dont play warlord please, id rather tempest and assisting melee that lol aoe charge aoe charge aoe charge

the big thing i dont see is people assisting or playing tanks. range kill melee on your healers or assist your teams melee. dont just target the 40k warlord

Quote Originally Posted by Aveleys View Post
    I don't rate ranger because of how easy it is to kill the pet and shut down a good one and their lack of survival. A good player on a ranger will still do well, but that same player on a previously mentioned spec is more "ideal".
    ranger without the pet still out damages MM, also lack of survival? lol do you even play your own class.

Ranger in freelancer and some warlord solo q

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2466...8#.U8wso7FF_1U

Quote Originally Posted by wickede View Post
    ranger without the pet still out damages MM, also lack of survival? lol do you even play your own class.
    Instead of trolling badly lyx, become literate and understand my point. Burst is key to forcing defensive cooldowns, or just keep spamming rain of skill on your ranger, idc lol.

Instead of trolling badly lyx, become literate and understand my point. Burst is key to forcing defensive cooldowns, or just keep spamming rain of skill on your ranger, idc lol.
    I do think you are mainly right about the souls and burst. I think that someone that does well on ranger could do better on assassin and your other souls you listed. This is a good guide and hopefully some pugs will read it.

Quote Originally Posted by RainDogs View Post
    I do think you are mainly right about the souls and burst. I think that someone that does well on ranger could do better on assassin and your other souls you listed. This is a good guide and hopefully some pugs will read it.
    Which is the point. Although good players can pick out issues with any guide, the theory is solid and hopefully it helps the vast majority of the player base.

sorry my bad, i forgot that ranger has no damage CDs for burst, and definitely does not have innate 8% mitigation and 10% endurance along with some self healing and a defensive CD.

if you think ranger doesn't outparse MM even without the pet, you clearly don't know how to play ranger, and you also overestimate how often the pet will actually die. you can keep using 5k deadeye shots though ,i'll stick with my 12k twin shots.

Quote Originally Posted by wickede View Post
    sorry my bad, i forgot that ranger has no damage CDs for burst, and definitely does not have innate 8% mitigation and 10% endurance along with some self healing and a defensive CD.

if you think ranger doesn't outparse MM even without the pet, you clearly don't know how to play ranger, and you also overestimate how often the pet will actually die. you can keep using 5k deadeye shots though ,i'll stick with my 12k twin shots.
    MM debilitate is also fantastic against physicians causal treatment spam.

MM debilitate is also fantastic against physicians causal treatment spam.
    or you could just use NB or sin with 12 BD and do way more damage, MM is a dead spec in pvp. inquisitor pretty much is too, neither of them do that much damage anymore, inq is just hard to kill.

as for my first post, your list is lacking oracle hbyrids, ranger, BD, nb/sin(which is better than 61 sin in every way other than being able to get the BD interupt), tempest, necro, new stormcaller hybrids, harbinger, necrodom, warlock, even sab, stormcaller, and cab have their uses and can be way more useful than any ST spec in the right warfront.

really i feel bad for warriors and clerics being limited to only 3 good dps specs each, but that's mostly due to them only having a small variety of dps souls to begin with. you would be better off listing dps souls that are bad.

Soulwalker

To the bad Warlords and haters-

Battlefield Experience spam macro-

#show Decisive Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Decisive Strike
    cast Piercing Thrust
    cast Clear the Breach

Get your surges up, hit KoTH, BE and spam this macro. You're welcome.

BADWHISKEY- PRESSURING HEALERS WITH BAD GEAR IN A BAD SPEC- P71

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast