+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By eniac
  • 1 Post By DrkC

Thread: Mage PVP/Dueling Help

Rift Disciple

Default Mage PVP/Dueling Help

I'm getting close to P80 on my mage now and I'm still having a tough time in PVP. When it comes to healing in WF's I'm good till the other team marks me as a healer since I cant keep myself up when being attacked directly.

My DPS as pyro isn't the same as it was in the earlier levels with the burst taking less than half the other players HP before I'm stuck hard casting and getting torn up by melees while standing still. And in all honestly I cant beat anything but clerics in duels nowadays.

I haven't bothered much with dominator because in all honesty I picked mage to be DPS and the abilities look a bit too complicated for me to figure out a proper rotation or even the right situations to use them in.

I like Elementalist though, if we had a proper CC besides the planar attunement one I'd be all set.

Anyways any help with builds/macros for PVP would be greatly appreciated as I'm seriously considering rerolling to either a rogue or a warrior, but starting another prestige/gear grind makes me want to pull my hair out lol

Quote Originally Posted by Palemage View Post
    I'm getting close to P80 on my mage now and I'm still having a tough time in PVP. When it comes to healing in WF's I'm good till the other team marks me as a healer since I cant keep myself up when being attacked directly.

My DPS as pyro isn't the same as it was in the earlier levels with the burst taking less than half the other players HP before I'm stuck hard casting and getting torn up by melees while standing still. And in all honestly I cant beat anything but clerics in duels nowadays.

I haven't bothered much with dominator because in all honesty I picked mage to be DPS and the abilities look a bit too complicated for me to figure out a proper rotation or even the right situations to use them in.

I like Elementalist though, if we had a proper CC besides the planar attunement one I'd be all set.

Anyways any help with builds/macros for PVP would be greatly appreciated as I'm seriously considering rerolling to either a rogue or a warrior, but starting another prestige/gear grind makes me want to pull my hair out lol
    Right now, anything under P84 or so is really a "tough road" for Mage. What I mean by P84 is really having a full set of Myrm armor. Once you are at that point, have orbs/runes you are usually pretty strong (dps-wise). Obviously, when you get myrm weapons at P90, you will be very strong.

Having said that, I would look really hard at Dom and Chloro as your two primary until you are at that level. Dom is one of the top specs in game atm. It is a very different animal (like you said) but it is powerful, even with freelancer gear.

Survivability is always an issue no matter what spec you use, Mage is considered a support class (even Pyro) in Rift. That doesn't mean you can't have fun, though.

You are close enough now to start looking at Pyro as a valid option. I run this:
    61 Pyro
    8 Warlock (5/5 Magical Affinity and 3/5 Vitality)
    7 Harbinger (5/5 Eldritch Knowledge and 2/2 Natural Swiftness)

*** Pyro is currently in process of being overhauled. You can find posts in Mage forum. So basically, this build will only work for another month or so before going away. Why do I even post it? It is really fun and you will get solid DPS numbers with it.

The Chloro and Dom builds will have to come from someone else. I run a vanilla Dom build and have never run chloro. I have a P88 cleric, so when I run Mage I want to pew pew or squirrel somebody.

You can jump on the PTS to see the new Pyro and Stormcaller changes that will go live soon to get a better idea about them.

I do know that if you run Chloro and que with another solid ST healer, you can be pretty nasty. Like I said, though, it is support, so you will need some help whether you que with someone or solo and someone in your raid recognizes you as a chloro and helps keep you up. Find me in game and I can go over the Pyro build.
    Last edited by EverydayAnomaly; 07-09-2014 at 09:52 AM.
    -Hello Kitty-
    Meepz@Deepwood
    Primalmeepz@Deepwood

Give my pyrobiter build a shot.

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...pyrobiter.html

Your dueling and survivability go way up, with a small loss to sustained dps.

It will still be viable (and do more sustained dps) in 2.8 when pyro is revamped.

Alternatively, if you are skilled at kiting, and want a tad more survivability, you can try a 11 sc 4 arb variant (4pts in endurance) for ride the wind, which is also getting revamped/nerfed when the stormcaller changes go live. But for now ride the wind is a near permanant speed boost and the points in arb give you aqueous blessing for additional 3% damage reduction and the endurance boost with soul gift works out to 14% more endurance.
    Illusive - EQ - retired, Illu - EQ2 - retired
    Illusive - Vanguard SoH - retired
    Illusive - AoC - retired
    Illusive - WoW - retired
    IllusiveEQ - Rift - current

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by IllusiveEQ View Post

It will still be viable (and do more sustained dps) in 2.8 when pyro is revamped.

Alternatively, if you are skilled at kiting, and want a tad more survivability, you can try a 11 sc 4 arb variant (4pts in endurance) for ride the wind, which is also getting revamped/nerfed when the stormcaller changes go live. But for now ride the wind is a near permanant speed boost and the points in arb give you aqueous blessing for additional 3% damage reduction and the endurance boost with soul gift works out to 14% more endurance.

yea, waste all your charge on ride the wind. smart. mages OP.

Rawr

Quote Originally Posted by morepvp View Post
    yea, waste all your charge on ride the wind. smart. mages OP.

Rawr
    You are an idiot.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by IllusiveEQ View Post

I've been messing around with Arbiter as well. Here is a variation of what you posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9gE...-B8z6C5k_TBCYw

My spec is more focused on the Arbiter side of the spells, though I still do use a lot of Pyro stuff. One thing that helped me out a LOT is getting a range finder addon. Then when fighting try and position yourself to the sweet spot between 30 and 35 meters from your target. This way you will be less of a target.

The thing I like about pairing Arbiter and Pyro is all the CC you have. You can be aggressive with the stun charge or defensive and root a player. You could pull someone in to your zerg or just slap on a 5 sec dehabilitate. Or if you go high enough in Pyro Gtae stun 5 enemies.

The thing is, right now as a mage you need to have a soul that has survivability to really be successful. This means you are limited to Dom/Chloro/Arbiter and then you hybrid those souls with either Pyro or Harb for the dps. The other souls are nice but you give up so much survivability for speccing high in to them that in the end it's not worth it.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by eniac View Post
    You are an idiot.

why would you waste your charge on ride the wind in a 61 pyro spec. not sure why you would even spec into stormcaller with 61 pyro. you have mobility and plenty of cc with pyro. sure though, go ahead and play your pyro/arb and pyro/sc builds and i'll keep being the idiot lul.

i'll keep being the idiot
    That's nice to hear.

why would you waste your charge on ride the wind in a 61 pyro spec. not sure why you would even spec into stormcaller with 61 pyro. you have mobility and plenty of cc with pyro. sure though, go ahead and play your pyro/arb and pyro/sc builds and i'll keep being the idiot lul.
    lol, I've read probably 4 of your posts and every one is really bad. Stay anon and keep bashing other players and giving out advice, my only hope is more mages will listen to your groundless posts and follow suit.
    Fiveball@wolfsbane - Mage
    Tenball@wolfsbane - Rogue

Aveleys' guide to playing a mage:

1. Log off mage
    2. Delete mage
    3. Create Rogue.
    4.???
    5. Profit.

I'd like my forum name to say "Rift Guide Writer" underneath it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aveleys View Post
    Aveleys' guide to playing a mage:

1. Log off mage
    2. Delete mage
    3. Create Rogue.
    4.???
    5. Profit.

I'd like my forum name to say "Rift Guide Writer" underneath it now.
    I don't always see you in WF's, but when I do, you are tunnel visioned on a mage.

Quote Originally Posted by DrkC View Post
    I don't always see you in WF's, but when I do, you are tunnel visioned on a mage.
    It's not tunnel vision when I can two shot bad mages. You might be familiar with that experience.

It's not tunnel vision when I can two shot bad mages. You might be familiar with that experience.
    Oh so clever, but entirely inaccurate. Only person I know that gets close to two shotting me is dday.

Shouldnt even take the long.
    Landslide - Greybriar. ( Vendetta )
    (\_xxLand_/)
    RIP RatedX. >.<!

A full dps pyro build main weakness is no self healing and verly little mitigation. Without a good team to keep them up they are just cannon fodder for decent rogues a warriors.

Subspecing into ride the wind and arb gives you a shot at not only surving a solo rogue steath gimp attempt but a good chance to kill them at the same time. I have used the 11 sc 4 arb build quite sucessfully as a solo pug que dps since arb went live. SC subsoul used to be an even more viable build before arbiter because sc could pick up icy vortex which made kiting rougues cake.

The reason I do not continue to use 11sc is ride the wind is getting nerfed with the new sc updates by sticking a cooldown on it.
    Last edited by IllusiveEQ; 07-10-2014 at 08:17 AM.
    Illusive - EQ - retired, Illu - EQ2 - retired
    Illusive - Vanguard SoH - retired
    Illusive - AoC - retired
    Illusive - WoW - retired
    IllusiveEQ - Rift - current

+ Reply to Thread