+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Mage - Always horrible?

Soulwalker

Default Mage - Always horrible?

I am a lvl 54, almost 55, Mage. I have Pyro as my main, Chloro as my second, and as my 0 I have Necro. I have tried TONS of different builds, I have looked at TONS of guide. For some reason I am always in the bottom 3 for Damage Done, I am in the bottom for Killing Blows. I mean, I am just doing terrible. Are there any tips or anything someone can give me? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Diabl0; 07-06-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Plane Walker

Best tip, roll a rogue. Enjoy being in top 3 at kbs, damage done, or in healing done as physician.

Plane Walker

2 screenies from yesterday.

( And you can see from my sig, that I have a P90 mage too, which is painful to play I might add. )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mage - Always horrible?-cake-2.jpg   Mage - Always horrible?-cake-3.jpg  
    Last edited by Drakedog; 07-06-2014 at 11:17 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Diabl0 View Post
    I am a lvl 54, almost 55, Mage. I have Pyro as my main, Chloro as my second, and as my 0 I have Necro. I have tried TONS of different builds, I have looked at TONS of guide. For some reason I am always in the bottom 3 for Damage Done, I am in the bottom for Killing Blows. I mean, I am just doing terrible. Are there any tips or anything someone can give me? Thanks in advance.
    Not sure what to say with the pyro changes, but a pyro is pretty great if you know how to play one. Dom is also the same for support, and shaman if you have some heals.

That being said, mage is probably the most difficult calling I've played in the game. That isn't saying much, but the ease of what you want to do on say warrior or rogue is a ton easier if you know how to macro. Rogue is probably the most forgiving, easiest soul to get what you want, unless you are a warrior warlord.
    Last edited by Wrastion; 07-06-2014 at 11:38 PM.

I would think it would be horrible for new players just based on the fact that you can face off against people with full Planar Attunement starting at level 50. If a few friends decide to reroll and premade it can be a disaster for whoever they face who is new. Once you hit 60 regardless of class it even becomes a worse experience, especially if you rank up too fast. If you are for instance rank 80 you will probably face more peope who are maxed geared than say if you are rank 40 or so but because the way they gated pvp currency you can be rank 90 and still be in freelancer/warlord gear etc.

At this point I just don't know what else to say. Some people think it is class that makes them better and to an extent they are right but the bigger issues I listed are really why they seem bad.

Also when you are mixed in with rank 90s they can have some really powerful stuff that makes you do 0 damage even in top end gear. Stacking healing is what players do at that point and cleric is best to stack heals with. So I suggest developing a loving relationship with chloro specs and dom specs until you are atleast ready to put top end runes and orbs on your gear..which requires you to faction farm and pve for the most part. It is quite expensive and time consuming to pvp dps and have a good kb/dps rate on a continuous level. For new players they basically shoved you into healing and support specs like dom, chloro, bard, sent, puri etc. Leave the dps for players who have spent tons of effort and time grinding better pvp sets.
    Last edited by Flashmemory; 07-06-2014 at 11:45 PM.

Mage has one of the most powerful souls in Dom atm. Chloro, pyrochon and pyro are acceptable but dom is where it is most of the time. And no you won't do mad damage with Dom but you stop the other team doing their damage.
    Last edited by deathstormer; 07-07-2014 at 12:17 AM.
    Deathion Reaperblade <Aspies> Warrior
    Lucifeera <Aspies> Mage

< misses the mage power we had at launch.

dot, dot, dot, dot, /lol at enemy while channeling soul purge.
    If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you may be entitled to financial compensation.

Best for you just to reroll.

If you are struggling with Pyro I do not know what to tell you. Pyro is amazing right now. Especially in the bracket you have described; that bracket should be your ***** as a Pyro. The best part is that you are mostly ignored because bad players do not take you seriously and then scratch their heads when you are top 3 damage at the end of the game. You can kite for a long time from melee because most of them only like to use one or two of their gap closers even though they have about five of them.

Your job as a mage is to take advantage of the general badness of the playerbase, not succumb to it.

Because sadly enough, if everyone played like most of the participants in the 3v3 tournaments, Mage would not be viable for 99% of the playerbase.

Rift Chaser

If u really want to play a mage, u all can do is... TARGET those low health players. Don't bother about chloro, too squishy when targeted.

pre 60 pvp:
    Problem 1: new player = cannon fodder, has no idea what the F is going on around him. When I leveled my new war toon it was 30:0 every wf i went in cause ppl blow up in seconds and run around stupid etc. Thus advantage of playing pvp for some time... also having more then a thousand PA points helps...
    Problem 2: keyboard turning, duh
    Problem 3: Mouse clicking, duh

60 pvp:
    Problem 4: Till u hit a least p80 u are there just to be killed by ppl with gear and u cant do nothing about it. U can try to Dom their ***, and drain once or twice, but when u start to annoy them they will target u and two shot ur *** to spawn.

all levels pvp:
    Problem 5: Rift pvp
    Last edited by Sezex; 07-07-2014 at 02:11 AM.

Champion

Things are changing with Mage shortly and the Mage in PVP will be in a difficult place. Currently Mage pyro plays well but it's mobility is being hobbled for no real good reason. If you want fun in PVP I would suggest you choose another calling other than Mage.
    Last edited by MoMo1; 07-07-2014 at 02:55 AM.

Prophet of Telara

Watch some Meduza videos, he can make Pyro work even while against few enemies.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=rift+meduza

I am a lvl 54, almost 55, Mage. I have Pyro as my main, Chloro as my second, and as my 0 I have Necro. I have tried TONS of different builds, I have looked at TONS of guicomplete kede reason I am always in the bottom 3 for Damage Done, I am in the bottom for Killing Blows. I mean, I am just doing terrible. Are there any tips or anything someone can give me? Thanks in advance.
    About to get wrose, at least for pyro. About to become a statue to cast, with little to no defense. Between pulls and rogues popping out of stealth, pyro is a dead PvP class (before they can complete a cast, lol).
    "There are other aspects of the game that we want you to engage in."

~Daglar

Prophet of Telara

Use Dom. Get a rift meter. Look for the other teams highest dps warrior rogue and plant your cc on them. If healing is strong do it to the top healer. Profit.
    Last edited by Planetx; 07-07-2014 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lords0fpain View Post
    About to get wrose, at least for pyro. About to become a statue to cast, with little to no defense. Between pulls and rogues popping out of stealth, pyro is a dead PvP class (before they can complete a cast, lol).
    It is tough to deal with them now. It won't be any different later on. I think that we are looking at the changes all wrong though. Will need to test it out? If they killed pyrochon I will be mad. It is same turret dps spec but it just has great support and burst.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast