+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Mage - Always horrible?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by MageErza View Post
    I don't understand what is bad about mages. Personally I love and feel I do great with Dom and Pyro. We'll not beat a warrior or cleric in 1v1 in equal situations with our dps souls, but charb or cdom should beat every class.

Never found it hard to get top dps or top kills in wf's as mage... love to heal myself with chloro in library holding a rune, too. Chloro heals are great aoe
    Mages:
    -Pretty bad in domination maps(our duel specs, unlike the other three classes, play poorly in groups)
    -Our heal spec has almost no self defense besides being an hp sponge.
    -Our "good" souls in general have diminishing returns(chloro cross heals, Dom and CC DR, archon auras) *when adding more of said soul to the group
    Last edited by Caldern; 07-18-2014 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SprawlnBrawl View Post
    if 50s bracket is anything like 40s bracket you are just bad. I just hit 40 and still top 3 Dps and kbs. once I get 46+ it will be the same face roll 20+ 0 deaths that 30s bracket was
    why would you post this. what you;re basically saying is that as a long time player you understand the ins and outs of all the other classes. you've played long enough to know what the class you;re facing off is capable off you know they're big cds you know when to int or stun and when to chase.

believe it or not the lower brackets are filled with clueless players, not an insult just people are new and they have alot to learn. rolling people who literally stand there pressing their buttons is not exactly a big achievement, will there be alts in there sure but for the most part its a mess.

as to the OP my first suggestion is to turn on nameplates if you havent already so you can who's low on health so you can assist.
    as a pyro try to time your skills with countdown going off for some big burst.

but to be honest if you;re not enjoying mage now then the pvp climb for you will be brutal, even if switch classes you will still be mostly a free kill for geared players, until you get geared.

as a side note i do find it funny that so many people suggest dom, is it useful, sure but nothing irritates people more than a dom. once you start draining people then be prepared to make lots of new friends. you killed me? yeah ok. you drained me? welcome to my to focus target.

Quote Originally Posted by zasen View Post
    as a side note i do find it funny that so many people suggest dom, is it useful, sure but nothing irritates people more than a dom. once you start draining people then be prepared to make lots of new friends. you killed me? yeah ok. you drained me? welcome to my to focus target.
    every mage needs to read this over and over again and let it sink in
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post
    every mage needs to read this over and over again and let it sink in
    dont forget, ecru knows everything about every class.

Quote Originally Posted by pukemonster View Post
    dont forget, ecru knows everything about every class.
    tell us how you really feel

go on, get it all out
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

When I see a mage on my wf team I just soul recall.

Dom is so stupidly OP atm.
    Deathion Reaperblade <Aspies> Warrior
    Lucifeera <Aspies> Mage

Rift Master

After due consideration of the new Stormcaller, which I had learned to play decently, if not greatly, I have exiled her to the oceanic server , her only function to monitor the hilarious chat of the Aussies.

As she was almost to full Myrm I can't bring myself to delete her. But she is dead.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Aveleys View Post
    When I see a mage on my wf team I just soul recall.
    I can actually take this comment seriously based on my own experiences in WFs (as both a mage and rogue).

If I see that half or more of my team consists of mages (even warlord or myrm geared ones), and that the opposing team composes of mainly warriors/rogues, 80% of the time the raid will get wiped at the first clash (at codex or whitefall for example) and we will most likely lose unless a premade joins in later.

I would rather have a team consist of nothing but bad-average warriors/rogues than a team of bad-average mages. The problem is fundamental: bads will perform much better as warriors/rogues than they will as mages. No matter how new you are to the game, playing as a rogue or warrior should be fairly simple: Use builders, use finishers - most of which are instant cast. You don't quite get the same effect with hard-casting your primary bolt or channeling your spells while standing still.

Its nice to get a good dom on your side, don't get me wrong. But when that's most valuable asset of a mage in WF/CQ, you can see why many just end up rerolling to other callings.

The stormcaller changes did help the situation somewhat, giving mages an improved glass cannon in Stormalist (basically eniac nuketown build v2), which is still going to melt in seconds the moment a DPS rogue or warrior decides to glare at it due to the lack of hard CCs (1 3s debilitate, no stun, no root, no interrupt), self-sustain and defensive cooldowns. Then there is Stormbiter/Callbiter, which is basically a tanky Pyro with good mobility, CC, perma-extinguish and 15s CD withering flames but no double fireball or burst CDs like Fusillade/Fulminate. You can also think of it as a ranged warlord with good DPS but neither burst nor super-padding AOE.

Can't say much about the Pyro changes since Kervik didn't add in the ultilities yet (1 stun/interrupt, 1 defensive CD, no turret defense mechanics etc), as most of the changes are made first and foremost for PVE DPSing. I'm abit worried after seeing the Stormcaller changes though (the only real defensive CD in the tree is out of reach for hybrids).
    Last edited by Xallista; 07-20-2014 at 10:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8