+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Mage - Always horrible?

Honestly, knowing what I do from playing this game a few years.... If I was in your position and just starting out I would drop mage and level a rogue. Mage has been and continues to be the worse class for pvp while rog has been and continues to be the best.

Its a sad sad truth.
    Landslide - Greybriar. ( Vendetta )
    (\_xxLand_/)
    RIP RatedX. >.<!

Ascendant

It'll get much much better for you when you get extinguish.

But I would also suggest making your spec more damage oriented, like with enough ele for ignite so you can still proc cinderburst on the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Landstalker View Post
    Honestly, knowing what I do from playing this game a few years.... If I was in your position and just starting out I would drop mage and level a rogue. Mage has been and continues to be the worse class for pvp while rog has been and continues to be the best.

Its a sad sad truth.
    mage is not bad, bad players make mage bad. it needs some buffs and small changes but you still have plenty to play at max level.

Mages do best against bad enemies. You have to put in more to get the same results as other classes get. When played correctly, though, you're the backbone of your team. Also don't get caught alone on your own, that's generally bad. And remember that IF YOU HAVE A VEIL UP YOU CANNOT RECEIVE HEALING FROM OTHER VEIL-USERS, INCLUDING FULL CHLOROMANCERS WHO ARE TRYING TO SAVE YOUR LIFE.

Quote Originally Posted by MoMo1 View Post
    Things are changing with Mage shortly and the Mage in PVP will be in a difficult place. Currently Mage pyro plays well but it's mobility is being hobbled for no real good reason. If you want fun in PVP I would suggest you choose another calling other than Mage.
    Yeah because having 1 cast time spell and 9 movement spells is really hobbling. No real good reason, except more damage, more CC breaks, less susceptibility to cleansing, better target-switching, and more frequent burst phases. What a rip-off!
    Last edited by Ianto Jones; 07-07-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Mage is awful. Don't play mage. Like, ever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mage - Always horrible?-pvp-dps-rank-85.jpg  
    If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you may be entitled to financial compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Exia211 View Post
    lol i love when people radiate death to steal KBs and think that they're good it's hilarious

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Exia211 View Post
    your post prove nothing , I have killed much more and w/o premades so you with a pocket healer are doing nothing great. Mages is the weakest class in pvp and the hardest class to play by far. Of course a great player can do it better than a regular mage but in general mages are in a bad spot in pvp. Horrible defense , horrible HP , decent dps but not the best like llanto always claim, good cc/stun etc but not better than warlord stun interrupts pulls etc etc. Conclusion if you are a mage and you are good you can enjoy your class but either way be prepared to die more than any other class or hide behind op classes made in trion and hope not getting targeted.
    Last edited by elfaraon; 07-07-2014 at 10:13 AM.

I dont know if anyone else does this but I love owning face as warlock in pvp.

Here is what I do:

1) I have a macro to target an enemy pet, or an NPC (like in port scion).
    2) I put up all my dots, because neither target ever gets cleansed in raid vs raid pvp.
    3) I remove them all, and apply neddra's torture and grasp to my primary pvp target to encourage them to break free or get cleansed. Works everytime usually.
    4) Throw up all my dots, pop ED, radiate death, and a crit potion, and then pop a full void barrage. The target usually dies every single time. With radiate death another target has the dots somewhere, and I pull from them and run away.
    5) Rinse and repeat but using SL when ED is not available.

Its a hit and run tactic that works extremely well, extremely mobile, and has some good survivability tools. The only thing I wish we could do is move while channelling mortality and then it'd be awesome!

the key is targetting a pet or npc first. I think most warlocks struggle with getting the initial ramp up before 1) the target removes the dots or 2) the target dies causing them to have to pull only a couple dots. This method gets around both of those. My favorite thing to target if i can find it is the defiler pet because it doesnt run away Or really any pet that has moved outside of the caster's/rogues attack range...which happens very often.

Just wondering if anyone else does this. I get more KB than my pyro doing this.

Future mage: Sure right now pyro and SC are very much glass cannons on the PTS. With the new changes pyro actually is turning into beast mode ST but can't AOE worth crap, which is a good trade off IMO. I know the pass for utility on either hasn't happened yet, and it will, so its a wait and see game at the moment. If they remain glassy, they better hit freak'n hard to be worth the risk.
    Last edited by Xenoheart; 07-07-2014 at 10:33 AM.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Rogue ranged if you choose to go so. (Just some randy screeny from this noon, I felt like giving it shot )

http://i.imgur.com/tjnmsIY.jpg

And that isn't even the popular go-to spec for a Rogue, but I know people who like mages usually at least want ranged DPS. Rogues sort of can do everything

Tank - RS is awesome
    DPS - melee is a nightmare and ranged is ok
    Heals - Physican is good and amazing when combined with other healers
    Support - Bard rocks
    Last edited by Violacea; 07-07-2014 at 10:39 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Had to make a new post.

Mages are just in a weird spot. It's not that they are not good. A good player can make one perform. But in PvP it seems like all the other callings do what they do better just about.

They are not primary choice healers. They can do good DPS but even their melee soul doesn't rock house like other callings melee souls can imo. Ranged DPS in general needs crits to really hit hard but in general doesn't push the envelope like melee. Which I'd say rogue/warrior/shaman melee dps is all scary but, mage is just good enough.

The only thing I think they truly excel in is being secondary healers that provide CC or just flat out Doms doing their work on another team clustered up. A dom can do some stuff other classes can't quite do as well or in the same fashion.

Mages just do not seem to be shining anywhere at the moment. They can cut it, but they aren't amazing in my eyes and in my experience. Although I think pyro has a ton of potential that almost nobody makes use of, so I am sort of not fully convinced totally but, it's just what I see :/
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    lol i love when people radiate death to steal KBs and think that they're good it's hilarious
    No aoe here, sweetie.

And to the guy who thinks I'm in premades or Q'ing with a pocket healer : No. It's rare that I queue with anyone, and when I do, I'M typically the pocket healer. lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mage - Always horrible?-pvp-dps-rank-77.jpg  
    If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you may be entitled to financial compensation.

Too really hit hard as pyro you need some CP stacked and thats next too impossible for entry level 60's. There no doubt a mage can do well but I think it was said best above. Other classes do it better. Dominator being the only exception. TBH playing all dom all the time gets kinda boring. Plus anyone with half a clue knows a 61 dom by the armour buff which pretty much makes you instant target. If I only had one toon in high level pvp, and it was my mage, I would have stopped pvping a long time ago.
    Enforcer | Schwarzeneggar | Enforced <-- Myrmidon

Tempagon PvP Video

if 50s bracket is anything like 40s bracket you are just bad. I just hit 40 and still top 3 Dps and kbs. once I get 46+ it will be the same face roll 20+ 0 deaths that 30s bracket was

Mei

The quality of scoreboard screenshots has really decreased since when I played.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Mei View Post
    The quality of the game has really decreased since when I played.
    Fixed that for ya.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast