+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: worth returning?

Shadowlander

Default worth returning?

I have only ever played on pvp servers because i really enjoy open world pvp. I have a level 50 but havent really play since the last expansion. I was just wondering if there is plenty of owpvp on seastone? Is the game worth returning to now with this new xpac coming out? Just curious how you seastone players feel the pvp is on the server. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kelthal View Post
    I have only ever played on pvp servers because i really enjoy open world pvp. I have a level 50 but havent really play since the last expansion. I was just wondering if there is plenty of owpvp on seastone? Is the game worth returning to now with this new xpac coming out? Just curious how you seastone players feel the pvp is on the server. Thanks
    There's no OWPvP, sorry.

Open world PvP is pretty much dead, the rogues saw to that.

I strongly advise you to make your decision when 3.0 hits, currently PvP is plagued with problems that are very slowly being fixed.

Currently you can expect to grind endlessly and be rewarded for your time spent by being forced to carry bads against p90 premades.

After playing the game for 6 months (started january -february) I'm pretty much finished wth rift besides some casual wf's a couple nights a week.

There is very little pvp content and most of it (conquest) is really boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Aveleys View Post
    After playing the game for 6 months (started january -february) I'm pretty much finished wth rift besides some casual wf's a couple nights a week.

There is very little pvp content and most of it (conquest) is really boring.
    Interesting that you had a forum account before played the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tohrid View Post
    Interesting that you had a forum account before played the game.
    The forum pvp is what made this game worth trying!

Too bad in game pvp doesn't live up to the forums.

i came back and its better than whats out there IMO. WoW is prob best but i have never played and being 10 years behind players with horrible graphics just doesnt sound fun

Plane Touched

Default It's what you make of it

There can be world pvp - not hard to stir the pot. Was afk in meridian on SS the other day and got rolled by like 20 guardians, so its out there - just not what it was that's for sure.

Shadowlander

thanks for the input guys. I guess ill just stick to my project1999 pvp until i see what the expansion is going to add.

Seastone is done, as well as pretty much every aspect of enjoyable pvp, imo- and I was hanging on for months hoping things would improve.

Daglar & Vladd made an appearance in Seastone a few months ago- and don't get me wrong, I truly appreciate them being forthright about things- but after answering questions from players its obvious nothing will develop in terms of owpvp.

For those of you who still enjoy Rift pvp- I envy you. But after the last 15 or so warfronts I played, I realized I just don't have the patience to endure a contest of "who has the most healers".

Nope. Unless you're a rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hectyr View Post
    For those of you who still enjoy Rift pvp- I envy you. But after the last 15 or so warfronts I played, I realized I just don't have the patience to endure a contest of "who has the most healers".
    It's about competent (geared) dps since everyone can heal.
    Last edited by Morwath; 07-08-2014 at 12:13 AM.

People that don't play the game telling other folks not to play it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

If you want true open world PvP, it seems to be pretty grim. However, I hung around on Seastone a lot and enjoyed the open world when it was something I could actively do on my assassin, and I will admit going off and doing my own thing in CQ (Stillmoor map or Steppes of Infinity - a newer one from Storm Legion) that I get that same sort of open world fix to a degree. Of course it is no where close to real open world PvP, but it sort of takes on the same feel at times. I personally enjoy the Steppes of Infinity CQ map waaay more for doing my pseudo open world gameplay. And I must admit, a con I see it in over old school open world is that - you know people and there when it is happening. While there are a lot of zergs, there are a lot of stragglers, smaller groups, or people maybe even doing the same type of stuff I am. Can definitely hit CQ every time it is running and often get that pseudo feel. If you choose to come back, finding terms of acceptance/enjoyment in CQ are pretty critical otherwise you will just hate life. CQ is pretty major for the scheme of progression to the top gear for a PvP'er.

Otherwise, is it worth returning? Outside of what I said about world PvP, everything else is pretty much the same. CQ is what it is, and people approach it many different ways. It is what you make of it to a degree. But the WF's, combat etc, that stuff pretty much is just how you left it - we just have more abilities and more souls. Still feels the same though. If you liked playing a Rogue when you left, you'll probably feel the same after playing a Rogue now - to make an example. Things have changed by nature of it being a progression based MMO, but, overall, Rift is still pretty much what Rift has always felt like and played out like. Hence why the only thing I truly expanded on was CQ/world PvP. That is one dynamic of gameplay that has changed quite a bit as time has gone. The rest? New faces, new abilities - same game.

Quote Originally Posted by AceinHole View Post
    OP,

No, it is not worth coming back. Honestly, there is no MMO out there worth playing for PvP other than WoW. It's either WoW or nothing. Sad but true. No other MMO has a dev team that actually cares about PvP (this includes new titles like ESO and Wildstar).

I think the MMO market in general is waning. It's just not what it was 5-10 years ago.
    Would only be nature. FPS were hot from like '96/97 - 2006/2007. The genre had a solid 10 years of being pretty dominant in the gaming industry. MMO's definitely took place of the popularity FPS had and at the same time the gaming industry blew up big time. But that was around 2003 or so when that started kicking up (hence why by 2007 online FPS gaming for PC's was quite swallowed by MMO online gaming). But hey, that's just about the same window of time FPS genre had before it started to truly wane and lose its real core. MMO's been hot for a good decade or so, and by hot I mean in a spot where they are taking the gaming limelight. It's really no surprise how the quality overall of the games are going down. Looking at new MMO's is like when I actually tried to look at new FPS for a while. It just isn't what it used to be, there's just what is out now.
    Last edited by Violacea; 07-08-2014 at 11:53 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Ascendant

The word "worth" is an interesting choice when dealing with a F2P game. I guess it depends how you value your time, it's certainly free to find out yourself if nothing else.

If all you want is OWPVP, you may be out of luck, however, you can bounce shards at will so its not like you'll be stuck on a slow server all day.

edit timer.

Not sure what is next. But I think MMO's are going to kill themselves via their cash shops in due time. All it takes is either a home-run FPS to re-fuel that interest or another genre to make it big that isn't nickle and diming their customers to death, and you may see the MMO genre do what the FPS one did in the late 2000's. Pretty much fade off and be left as a minority. I don't know if a new genre will take over, or if competitive people will just resort back to FPS because, they nailed competition and balance way before MMO's did. But it is sort of unfair when the premise of those types of games makes it easy as 1 - 2 - 3 to balance it even to the square. MMO balancing for PvP truely is a complex thing if you want your game to have several avenues of gameplay styles the way MMO's try to make themselves out to be. So it would not surprise me if a home-run FPS caused the genre to make a comeback because, visit any PvP MMO forum and read the complaints. FPS doesn't have those flaws.

But maybe a new genre will take over instead of it just going back to an old one. Which would surely be interesting. Either that or gaming itself will just fade away. Which is truly what I hope for. Then they can stop catering to masses and make games more hardcore again. And by hardcore I mean...just not so much hand holding and forgiveness of error. Go get an SNES emulator and play them, it is funny how much harder even SNES games are compared to the typical recent game. This is why I wish for gaming to become unpopular, or, lower itself on the radar. When it stops becoming a commodity that rakes in huge cash for things that used to be free, it may have the chance to return to a state where yes - open world PVP is active. Because then they could make a game that simply doesn't allow you to transfer on and off PvP servers (you either want to PvP or you don't), and force you to use their world for progression even though people may be waiting to kill you non stop. Even if purely the intervention of players causes you to slow down progression by days. When gaming is not catered to masses, they can make then like that again.

But right now gaming is hot, and almost anywhere you the game is going to milk it for a cash product. The quality is absolutely going down the drain and they are losing any bit of edgy feeling they used to provide. By edgy feeling I mean (for example), games that allowed open world PVP to be a major thing that could highly impact the progression of another player. And I was never into MMO PvP for the beginning but, I imagine the old school PvP vets who started their gaming in open world settings long ago probably remained addicted to those games because of that edgy feel and the risk vs reward. Rewards are so abundant they almost become meaningless and risk is at an all time low. Not sure where I am going with this but, if you truly want a picture painted of what you are getting into, I believe this is where Rift, and more-so gaming itself, is at right now. If you can mentally ignore all that and find enjoyment in a game (which I still do, but I'm aware of all these things nonetheless), then I say go for it. I still find Rift to be a decent leisure activity and sometimes once I fire it up I stay on for hours. It's not all as bad as the forums make it out to be.

Anywho, I don't care if you bother to read it all or not but, that is my honest take on the core of some things right now. So sign up if you would like. But it's getting bad when someone who is 27, having had a game controller in their hands since age 2 - 3, is starting to want to drop gaming entirely IMO. I am literally watching what I grew up with and love lose its quality due to greed and money. It's sort of upsetting tbh. This is why I wish for gaming to fall of the map a bit and go back to being not the most prominent money making online avenue. Go back to when gaming wasn't the cool thing to do.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast