+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Do you think you're a good PvP'er?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    I swear, this is the only game community that scoffs at a mechanic like CC. The folks over at Skilled-Capped.com must look at Rift players as if they're drooling blithering idiots. Seriously folks, CC is a great addition to any pvp meta, it can be used skillfully with great effect, its here to stay.
    It is annoying and probably the most un-fun mechanic ever introduced into any video game. I don't know, the Eq2 community scoffed at it, but it was more in light of raid bosses over-using it. The nutshell argument was "It isn't fun to not be able to play your toon, in any case". But that goes more to raid bosses spamming random debilitating CC's on peopel for 10s+ at a time.

Maybe it's just because I grew up on FPS where in place of CC, you have movement dodging/out maneuvering (it takes skill to move and read an enemies movement/shooting patterns, it doesn't take skill to hit a CC or hit a break free, timing is the only skill curved aspect of it). So I go from taking years to hone my movement to dodge a variety of enemies, to dying because someone stunned me for 4 seconds. You know, that is a tad aggravating. Like I said, it's just completely un-fun. It feels so corny when I use my stun on someone at 15 - 20% HP and then take them out the next 2 swings. Like there was anything they could have done. I'll agree to disagree though, because I will never find raw CC fun. I understand KBs, snares, roots...but I hate the crap that might as well have you take your hands off the keyboard.
    Last edited by Violacea; 07-09-2014 at 09:13 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post
    1/10 because i heard warriors are the easiest class to play in wfs.
    Nefy>>> worst warrior WW

Violacea has made a reference to EQ2. /endthread

Quote Originally Posted by asianguywithacamera View Post
    Violacea has made a reference to EQ2. /endthread
    Didn't realize such impact was made.
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Soulwalker

Some amusing replies which is what this thread was intended for so thanks to those who replied.

On the issue of CC'ing in PvP, that's a discussion for a totally separate thread

0/10.

My Physician died in Scion because I didn't realize I had a friendly NPC on the other side of the map targeted the whole time.

Physician UP, need buff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho
    Also nerf bards.

How would you rate yourself? I think I'm ok, I know my place, my job...not a lot of people do lol but I rate myself..tolerant
    Could you hold your own against a more powerful player? haha I would just heal the **** through myself
    Do you use stuns etc? Nope....I heal :P
    Do you use optimal build? I hope so...otherwise I shouldn't pvp ;)
    Last edited by Zharday; 07-13-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Zharday/Goddessheals/Fearstormer/Warchicky

Yes
    /10char
    Fiveball@wolfsbane - Mage
    Tenball@wolfsbane - Rogue

I'm not sure but a large number of people love beating on me! Cries
    Kvoo AKA Lilkvo
    Buff Defilers now!!!
    I prevented your Kill with my Heal!
    --Godlike Awesomeness-- :: Deepwood (US)

Quote Originally Posted by Kvoo View Post
    I'm not sure but a large number of people love beating on me! Cries
    <insert dirty comment here>
    I think I should make this a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Des101 View Post
    Now personally, I rate myself as ok.. not the worst & no-where near the best. Not the best geared, don't use the most optimal build, pretty much steer clear of "OP" ones and not the biggest fan of permanently stunning an opponent so they can't fight back just to get a kill (where's the fun in that?!).

So in all honesty:
    how would you rate yourself?
    Could you hold your own against a more powerful player?
    Do you use stuns (or disables) so the "victim" can't fight back as a way to get a kill?
    Do you use the most optimal build?

N.B. keep the replies clean, fun & flaming to a minimum

Okay, I'll answer for real.

how would you rate yourself?

I believe I am highly versatile (outside of tactician), which is beneficial for this game. My willingness at times to be versatile could be debated though, lol. I always believe there is someone out there better, but I think I perform my souls in nothing short of acceptable manners. Whatever my icon is, I will not make it a wasted slot is how I try to play. So even if someone sees a tank icon for me, I am probably in Scion hustling stones like a mad man racking up points for the team.

Could you hold your own against a more powerful player?

This question can be interpreted many different ways. To put it short, I think I can give most a run for their money or at least make them have to give effort. I try not to have it where someone can sleep on me.

Do you use stuns (or disables) so the "victim" can't fight back as a way to get a kill?

As annoying as I think they are, I most certainly do. It is part of why I love BD. A very spikey damage class with a lot of CC. Just wait till they are low, drop the right CC with a spikey tempo up and that is the method to many solid kills on healers. I do not CC as much as I could or as others do. But I most certainly use it. Sometimes I over-exert on it. I've tried to drop a stun on one person, debilitate on another, and then work on the third, just to prolong my life. That is usually futile anyway. But yes, I do drop CC's a lot in certain specs.

Do you use the most optimal build?

Debatable question. I don't always use the build I probably should be using. Sometimes I will play what I enjoy over what might A) work better of B) be better for the team. However this isn't always the case. As much as I love DPS'ing, sometimes I will go heals if it is needed to make example. I use a lot of 61 glass cannon specs. I have a couple hybrid specs (nb/sin is fun, phy/rs is rad and maybe some others I'm not thinking of). I think my specs get the job done, however, I will admit, I build a lot of my specs around the assumption that I have a healer on my team doing a decent to outstanding job. I like to be as optimal as possible when I do have games where healing is proper and there is no problem executing my toon. The only builds I don't really pack any of is "duel" specs. I'll just list what I have. I'll put a * by the ones I use most frequently.

58 - 61mm (don't ask, sometimes I just feel like 58) *
    61bard
    54sab (BD sub soul)
    61sin *
    61bd *
    physician/rs hybrid ~*
    61rs
    MM troll spec (mm/rs)
    61ranger ~*
    nb/sin
    61 nb (pure dps, no interrupt)
    61nb (sub souled BD for some less overall dmg but having an interrupt)
    61 physician *

I find use for all of these at some point and time it seems. If I had more credits I felt like blowing I'd probably have a good ol token nb/rs, sin/rs, an AoE tactician (even though it sucks) BD w/ RS for the port and beefier stats (for such a dangerous spec), and maybe a couple gimmicky specs I like to personally use when I am bored to death in PvP/slots to test out specs with so I don't have to alter my solid ones.
    Last edited by Violacea; 07-18-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Soulwalker

I'm good but I say I'm bad because that's what people tell me I am based on my soul choice.

BADWHISKEY- BAD WL P71

I didn't think I was very good till I got yelled at by the other team for the *** kicking I gave out. or the /cheer and the asking of "what build is that?"

I do not use stuns or debilitate
    I both heal and dps in the same role pending on the situation.
    I don't like to see a man down or going down i'll do my best to guard my healers.
    yes I can hold my own vs a few at a time
    I don't use optimal builds I do theory builds and what if's

I pvp threw all brackets 1-60 they are all equally fun to play and I have a Rank 89 well soon to be a 90. oh never done a pvp quest outside of Cq and Wf

I rate my self 6/10 always improving my game.

Quote Originally Posted by metord View Post
    I didn't think I was very good till I got yelled at by the other team for the *** kicking I gave out. or the /cheer and the asking of "what build is that?"

I do not use stuns or debilitate
    I both heal and dps in the same role pending on the situation.
    I don't like to see a man down or going down i'll do my best to guard my healers.
    yes I can hold my own vs a few at a time
    I don't use optimal builds I do theory builds and what if's

I pvp threw all brackets 1-60 they are all equally fun to play and I have a Rank 89 well soon to be a 90. oh never done a pvp quest outside of Cq and Wf

I rate my self 6/10 always improving my game.
    haha no cc and you give yourself a 6/10 sounds right for rift

Quote Originally Posted by dday View Post
    haha no cc and you give yourself a 6/10 sounds right for rift
    6/10 is a D on a college test.
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast