+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Keybinding, for the folks that care about performance.

Rift Disciple

I used to play with a guy who is s7/8 wow gladiator mage and the only keybindings he was using is 1-5, rest of his abilities were clicked. What's odd about him is that he also was playing rogue with about 15 keybindings. When I asked why don't he use same hot keys on his mage he said "idk man, I'm just used to play mage like this". So yeah, you can play clicking caster just fine, melee will be a bit more tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by micshaz View Post
    what's an OGCD ability?
    Probably something you can macro.
    -=[ Virulent - 65 - P100 | Harlakk - 65 - P100 | Ascaroth - 62 - P95 | Brahman - 65 - P92 ]=-
    -=[ VirulentX - 70 - P100 | Harlakk - 70 - P92 | Ascaroth - 60 - P10 | BrahmanX - 1 - P0 ]=-
    | VIRALIST: 65 |

Quote Originally Posted by V1rul3n7 View Post
    Macro jump in front of it for best effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by V1rul3n7 View Post
    you macro interrupts? dang son - i didn't think it was going to be this easy making you look like a baddie

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    You're seriously advocating the use of the "S" key to walk backwards in pvp?
    I admit I use S, not to backpedal, but there are time you might have to use it to re-adjust positioning. I notice in games with collision i never use it. I guess I use it that little tho that removing it wouldn't hamper me much.
    Deathion Reaperblade <Aspies> Warrior
    Lucifeera <Aspies> Mage

Rift Disciple

If you think you're good at pvp, maybe you should think again if you're disobeying all the rules laid out in this guide by Olivia Grace from Joystiq.com.

I'll leave this link here.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/05/22/ke...-and-clicking/
    keybind all you want, ur still a horrible rogue

You're seriously advocating the use of the "S" key to walk backwards in pvp?
    It would be foolish to un-bind it.

I already said it.

If you are kiting - no, do not using S.

If you are frontal cone AoE'ing, use S if you want to move back or you are foolish and going to screw up your AoE.

Also I went over this, there are 4 movement speeds. 1. regular run, 2. walk, 3. mounted movement 4. backwards.

All these 4 movement speeds move at different velocities. I have found a few jump gaps in the game where every speed is either too fast or too slow except for the speed provided by walking backwards. Also, some areas are not as friendly to jump up against the terrain with moving so fast. So sometimes it is easier to do a quick reversal, and S jump up a couple rocks, then start moving.

After reading this, and watching your BD video, I definitely play this game on a way more complex level than you do. That's all much I can say. Saying to unbind S is a foolish blanket statement I would never tell a player. That will only stunt them in the end. Even if it is a small % of the time.
    Last edited by Violacea; 07-07-2014 at 04:50 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

I know it sounds demeaning, but I do mean it quite pragmatically. Blanket statements like S is bad is just about as worthy as BD is bad. Just because something isn't appropriate for all situations, doesn't mean just get rid of it. But, that also doesn't mean use it in those inappropriate situations either.
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post

If you are frontal cone AoE'ing, use S if you want to move back or you are foolish and going to screw up your AoE.
    Does this really need explanation? Do people not get even that basic of a concept or are they so desperate for acceptance they parrot bad ideas rather than trust their own eyes and sense. And who are these legendary killers you need to be on hyper-vigilance for all the time that you can't ever back peddle? Most of the time I am doing it, it's because I can. Habits are one thing, doing what you need to do when you need to do it another. Maybe these guys are talking to people who don't know how to kite period but it reads as though "never ever" and at my time in the game it's laughable to try and float that. I don't take exception often in the forums because I know this is mostly meaningless BS, but this is just dumb and it seems to come from a need for acceptance or to promote some image of expert.
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Bliter View Post
    Does this really need explanation? Do people not get even that basic of a concept or are they so desperate for acceptance they parrot bad ideas rather than trust their own eyes and sense. And who are these legendary killers you need to be on hyper-vigilance for all the time that you can't ever back peddle? Most of the time I am doing it, it's because I can. Habits are one thing, doing what you need to do when you need to do it another. Maybe these guys are talking to people who don't know how to kite period but it reads as though "never ever" and at my time in the game it's laughable to try and float that. I don't take exception often in the forums because I know this is mostly meaningless BS, but this is just dumb and it seems to come from a need for acceptance or to promote some image of expert.
    Exactly, I never have said the pro's way to kite is to hold down S and hit your abilities. That is utterly *horrible*. But yes as you said, people seem to jump on these broad thinking band-wagons like NEVER use S, NEVER click an ability. Lines can be drawn and sometimes a situation just happens at an extremely low frequency, like times I would actually use S. You'll never catch me kiting someone with S or trying to run/get away with it. But ya, there are rare times where in a Goldie Locks sort of way, it's just right for a split moment. Since I am not desperate to need more key binds...I just keep it. I'm not sure why people come up with these blanket "rules". But it is the same reason I don't like bloated macros. It is rare something is 100% concrete (like never use S). And if that small % chance occurs, I like to be able to bend that direction. Sure, some of these bloated macros may pull it off more often than they don't. But run into someone good and you will probably get out-played by a margin, or there may be countless situations you could have performed better in if your abilities were not in an arbitrary order that the person thinks is the ultimate and only order of execution. It's my biggest macro's are stuff like melee ability + ranged abilities. And if they get bigger than that, I often put the abilities separately on my hotbar in case a situation comes up where I need it above all.

But you played eq2 with me, this is not how the top DPS'ers operated. This type of game-play was looked down upon often =/. Making DPS macro's was always tossed around as a joke because you could perform subpar, but passable DPS and nearly afk. I mean, good players mocked or talked down about macros overall and admitted that they are not optimal. I show up in Rift and first start reading the boards. All the players people hail have these bloated macros. I felt I was not in Kansas anymore and I was very very confused.
    Last edited by Violacea; 07-08-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post

But you played eq2 with me, this is not how the top DPS'ers operated.
    Funny little memory, in EQ2 if you gave up your back to a Sin or Brig you were pretty much toast.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

A thread about keybinding to improve pvp performance? This must have been meant for a WoW forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bliter View Post
    Funny little memory, in EQ2 if you gave up your back to a Sin or Brig you were pretty much toast.
    Koldsteel was the only person I saw in BG's who really demolished me - I could not take him out when he was after me. An 'equally' geared Sin from Strike. Those Assassins could kill you before you cast the nuke that would 1 shot the Assassin . I had to get the jump on Scouts cause if they got close it was scary . Melee was very scary in that game, but a ranged left to cast free could often still out-do them. I think this community would flip if this game ever did that xD.
    Last edited by Violacea; 07-08-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

I mouse turn and play with my movement keys on W,E,R, and D. This puts my middle finger between 3 and 4 and also gives me 3 extra keys, Q, A and S, on my left side. I spam 5 because its my index finger and its a lot easier than spamming 1 with my pinky. Additionally I use T, Y, F, G, H and 2 modifiers on all my keybinds. That said, I still like having a keybind to walk backward.

Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    I mouse turn and play with my movement keys on W,E,R, and D. This puts my middle finger between 3 and 4 and also gives me 3 extra keys, Q, A and S, on my left side. I spam 5 because its my index finger and its a lot easier than spamming 1 with my pinky. Additionally I use T, Y, F, G, H and 2 modifiers on all my keybinds. That said, I still like having a keybind to walk backward.
    what is it with mmo players and not using wasd like people in every other type of game

this is seriously bizarre
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast