+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Mage future PvP direction

Default Mage future PvP direction

Would love to hear from someone on the development team on what their mindset is for mages in pvp moving towards 3.0 and beyond. Right now it appears we are going back to immobile casting glass turret specs in a heavy melee environment this is no beuno. Prompt reply appreciated, thank you.
    Landslide - Greybriar. ( Vendetta )
    (\_xxLand_/)
    RIP RatedX. >.<!

Considering the current PTS changes to pyro, I'm seriously considering relegating my 61 pyro to storage mule duty.

Mages need an increase in survivability, not an increase in cast times that will make us melee fodder in PVP. The "improvements" we get are less mobility, longer cast times, removal of our INT buff, and zero increase in defense.
    Level 60/Rank 90 Guardian Mage * Level 60/Rank 62 Defiant Rogue * Level 60/Rank 86 Guardian Cleric
    Level 60/Rank 82 Defiant Warrior
    * Level 60/Rank 86 Guardian Rogue
    * Level 60/Rank 53 Defiant Mage
    Level 60/Rank 24 Guardian Warrior
    * Level 60/Rank 15 Defiant Cleric
    * Wolfsbane/Zaviel

Mages can either L2play dom or solo que. Unfortunate reality of the class.

Shadowlander

Same here, kinda considering joining Team Vladd after seeing PTS Pyro and posts from Kervik.

If they would actually make stuff that has to be casted really hit like a truck no melee can drop, I think that is fair enough. I think that is why Eq2, despite being loaded with BS and having horrible PvP, it did have viable melee and ranged roles and you could play either without feeling at epic disadvantage for being a range or melee. Melee could get locked hard, but shred really fast once up close. Mages sure were glassy, but there were some spells that were almost a death sentence if it crit you (everyone knew when stuff like manaburn or ice comet was coming, epic nukes that with even 100% cast speed took 2 - 3s to cast. The games max casting speed capped at 50% base speed.

While it had horrible PvP and loaded with BS, I think the fact well played mages could keep melee off them, but prolly die if the melee gets in their face...yet utterly destroy someone if they get casted abilities off before you got to them. Among all the junk that went around, that actually worked. I just think if they make mages cast, it needs to be very painful nukes. I mean nukes that knock out over 50% of your hp easy on a crit. Real nukes. Not this soft 5k non crit nukes. That's not nuking.

But I don't know how you would incorporate it in Rift. I just know they somehow had it down. While it may take me 2 - 4 seconds to cast a hardcore nuke. As a mage, once a melee got in my face (I had a spammable root in a game with no DR against melee with no ranged attacks), they could kill me or do just as much damage in the time it took to cast the nukes that blew them away if they hit. Something about that worked in that sense. There were several other factors though that made it work, I am shorting the entire picture.

I personally liked their roots. Not break on damage, and not permanent. But a 30% chance to break on damage and trigger a snare. Now that is a root.
    Last edited by Violacea; 07-02-2014 at 01:29 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Pyro will still destroy in PUG Warfronts like it currently does. You act as if people actually leave mid-zergs or as if Pyro actually performs well in any other scenario. Neither is the case.

Besides, I heard Harbinger is a great spec. Maybe xXScreamoLoverXx will help you l2p. I keep reading that Harbinger's disuse is a l2p issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    If they would actually make stuff that has to be casted really hit like a truck no melee can drop, I think that is fair enough.
    Hey, look! This guy gets it!

I would like to know too, OP.

Pyro is great currently, but Trion is seeing to fix that.

my biggest problem with mage right now is that my greatest enemy is a cleanse...warlock, necro, dom, pyro all lose a crap ton of damage with any cleanse. its poor design IMO.

right now pyro, chloro, and dom are the only good souls we have. the good thing is they pair well with hybrids for certain aspects of pvp. chloro when my teams needs heals, dom when there is too much healing, and pyro when i want to kill stuff. pretty good options and im sure there are more since i havent really got into warlock,sc, ele. i dont waste time with getting any more crystals.

harb needs a bump, and we need a few more bursty specs. too much damage over time. I like 61 necro too but cleanses kill that spec and its to easy to cc the 61 point cd.

if the pyro changes go through its going to kill mage dps and ruin pyrochon which is a very very strong wf soul.

The future is, reroll a rogue... if you already do not have one.
    "There are other aspects of the game that we want you to engage in."

~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Why don't you batphone Kervik then and tell him to actually buff Fireball more than 20% on pts? It is still way off

Quote Originally Posted by Division View Post
    Why don't you batphone Kervik then and tell him to actually buff Fireball more than 20% on pts? It is still way off
    Quote Originally Posted by Kervik View Post
    As an additional note, I don't intend this to be anything like a final pass on the soul. I have some additional changes in mind that I'll be working on adding later this week, but I wanted to get at least the ones posted on their way.
    The complaints are all very amusing. People have such short memories. How many things did people complain about with Stormcaller and how many of them were not addressed? I think the only guy that didn't get what he wanted was the one freaking out about thematic continuity in the soul's talent naming scheme.

Lots of us "get it," we're just waiting for the HITS LIKE A TRUCK part to be implemented. Until that makes it to live, I'm betting that pyro is going to get hosed.
    Level 60/Rank 90 Guardian Mage * Level 60/Rank 62 Defiant Rogue * Level 60/Rank 86 Guardian Cleric
    Level 60/Rank 82 Defiant Warrior
    * Level 60/Rank 86 Guardian Rogue
    * Level 60/Rank 53 Defiant Mage
    Level 60/Rank 24 Guardian Warrior
    * Level 60/Rank 15 Defiant Cleric
    * Wolfsbane/Zaviel

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyhawke View Post
    Lots of us "get it," we're just waiting for the HITS LIKE A TRUCK part to be implemented. Until that makes it to live, I'm betting that pyro is going to get hosed.
    pyro, currently, does hit like a truck with proper rotations.

The complaints are all very amusing. People have such short memories. How many things did people complain about with Stormcaller and how many of them were not addressed? I think the only guy that didn't get what he wanted was the one freaking out about thematic continuity in the soul's talent naming scheme.
    I did not partake in any of the sc changes or testing. I have given my suggestion and comments about previous spec changes without impact, so I am drawing my speculation of a possible disappointment from those outcomes.

Regardless, how do people go about making suggestions without making them? You need to put emphasis on them somehow by providing additional information to back up your suggested changes ..and hopefully other people in the community to support your or similar ideas

Eg: If you too think Fireball should be buffed more than 20%, perhaps raise issue as well.
    Last edited by Division; 07-02-2014 at 02:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast