+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: 3v3 Tournament June 28th (3000 plat prize) hosted by <-Godlike Awesomeness->

Damn edit timer...

I'd like to add:

As far as Cdom goes. It is not cheating. It is within the rules. As decided by the tournament organizers: "Healers are considered 38+ points into a healing soul." Everyone is WELL aware that with these rules its possible to have hybrid off-heal souls.

Furthermore, to say that Cdom's 500 HPS is the reason why we beat un-viable DPS comps is entirely inaccurate. To make my point clear, what I'm saying is 3v3 is about proper comp and theorycrafting. Cdom is not what won the first match, it's the fact that MM/Ranger and 61 WL are not viable in 3v3's. Period. You'd get more healing and the same CC with a bard then you would with a Cdom, at the cost of drain and more HP as bard.

People are crying because they are not using their brain. You need to theory-craft and plan out comps, as well as counter-comps. You cannot run in and faceroll with any DPS specs that you please and expect to do well. This is not a WF. For example: "Let's duel... I lost because you used a duel spec." I.E. "Let's do 3v3's... oh wait, I lost because you used a 3's comp." And so on...

And one last thing: It's a shame the vocal minority in this game continues to attempt to bring down anything good that comes out of RIFT PVP. This is a spectacular and fun thing that Godlike puts together, and everyone has an equal ability to form a viable comp, it's not the player's or the organizer's fault that RIFT is not balanced perfectly for every PVP scenario. Come back in the next one, make a comp instead of watching on a stream and crying about it.
    Last edited by Moirg; 06-29-2014 at 05:21 PM.

im waiting for somebody to run my op defiler/dpsbard/necrodom comp.

Chlorodom with 31+ points into chloro should be considered a healing spec. 32 points is a Brez and 36 points is a spamable healing ability. You can say it's allowed and won't count as a healer as an exception to the 1 healer per team rule but don't fool yourself thinking it's not healing. At the end of the day, your tournament, your rules. Just keep in mind that allowing high-chloro with dom will always be controversial.

#2cents

Quote Originally Posted by Allmightyone View Post
    Chlorodom with 31+ points into chloro should be considered a healing spec. 32 points is a Brez and 36 points is a spamable healing ability. You can say it's allowed and won't count as a healer as an exception to the 1 healer per team rule but don't fool yourself thinking it's not healing. At the end of the day, your tournament, your rules. Just keep in mind that allowing high-chloro with dom will always be controversial.

#2cents
    I think chlorodom was a bit controversial myself, but then there is also bard which can basically pull off the same BUT does not have Brez or drains. The thing is they were within the rules. Time will tell whether it's allowed next time. Myself i think it's more of a heal soul with squirrel and instant casts/ veil healing and spamable ST healing as well as the big ones ESSENCE SURGE at 31 and battle rez. The chloro soul is pretty unique for whats available at the bottom of the soul as well as technically it's a damage/healer class so compliments Dom very well. It's no doubt a very powerful hybrid for 3's but don't let it mar the event.
    Deathion Reaperblade <Aspies> Warrior
    Lucifeera <Aspies> Mage

The "it has to be 38 points" threshold is a stupid argument. There isn't some magic line where a spec magically becomes a healer, what's relevant is the abilities that you are given access to at any certain amount of investment. You can blather on that because of the 38-point threshold it wasn't against the rules, but that's a technicality (the rule wasn't specific). You violated the spirit of the rule if not the letter.

Besides which it's just a cheesy way to win. It's like Bunzy thinking he's the best player in Rift because he won duels with Chlorodom. In the first tournament Hikos, Kazz, and I probably could've won if we'd done that but what pride is there in winning such a match? It really has nothing to do with "smart compositions", there's nothing "smart" about stacking two healers in a match of teams of 3. Any true competition (Rift or otherwise) requires limits placed on team compositions to prevent anti-competitive tactics and stalemates, e.g., there's a reason you can't put two goalies in a hockey net.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowburn View Post
    "Let's ban all the comps that I don't know how to counter." You shouldn't complain about the results of 1 tournament, just wait until the next one, I already know how to counter cdom and BM, without using either. You'll be crying about that comp as well, won't you?
    Clearly there is a counter, since they lost. It really has nothing to do with that, and everything to do with it being against the rules:

Quote Originally Posted by Aloegel View Post
    9. Only 1 healer allowed per team due to time constraints.
    What annoys me is that this rule was not enforced but one was made up on-the-fly to prevent an under-geared competitor from competing on an even footing with the fully relic'd teams. The gear factor already hugely undermines the pool of players who can and will participate.
    Last edited by Ianto Jones; 06-29-2014 at 06:33 PM.

Plane Touched

Keep voicing your opinions because the tournament organizers definitely want to know what the audience would like to see.

I must add this to the discussion though. Keep in mind that a line was drawn in how high you can go into a healing soul purely for the fact of keeping matches from going too long. With the new rule, none of the matches went to time limit. It wasn't added for the fact that two healing souls is unfair. Everyone had to play within the rules and if someone chose to play right at the edge of the rules but not over, then they were free to do so.

But if many do feel the rules are unfair, please do voice your concerns.
    Rift PvP videos and Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/grimgamingrift
    Huge GIVEAWAYS every Saturday on the channel!

Rift Chaser

everyone is trying to say that it just isnt as much fun when its a CC battle waiting for that 4sec window to burst someone down in a 3v3. in a 5v5 it almost becomes null because a cdom or bm cant influence as much as it can in 3v3 and therefor more solid specs and less hybrids are normally better - theres a lot more ways to counter everything in a 5v5 so every person becomes that much more important hence why most hardcore pvpers prefer the 5v5 over 3v3.

imo 5v5 is much more dynamic and fun.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Moirg View Post
    This tournament proves NB needs a buff... every cd, combat buff, and buff is purgable from the entire tree other then emptiness (lol) and the stacking HR (even internal heat is purgable.)

Making all of the combat buffs/cds un-purgable is a good start to NB's path to former greatness.
    Not sure if serious... but purgable buffs are part of the balance. The problem here is only one specific purge (BM) because it have no CD hence the issues.

All kind of buffs which have duration longer than 10min should be purgeable. I know lot's of Warriors specs dont have to deal with this problem but we should be asking to adjust it instead of creating OP dps specs which dont have to worry about purge.

I can understand why short duration buffs should be unpurgable, because it can decide whether certain spec is viable or not (Like EA) but there's no excuses why instant cast 0 cd 1h long buffs shouldn't be purgeable.
    Last edited by Otts; 06-29-2014 at 07:32 PM.

I really enjoy watching these contests play out! Good job to the organizers GA and grim for casting. Though grim you should get a better computer or something since your graphic settings seems to be on the low side.

For a spectator, 3v3 imo is the most interesting format since the matches are pretty fast compared to 5v5 which can take a while. Also 3v3 seems to have many more teams compared to the previous 5v5 tourney so nice diversity.

Hopefully this will grow large enough into a league like format with several divisions for different skill levels.

Class and gear balance will always be an issue, but I prefer it to remain relatively open and unrestricted since these things are a pain to enforce and imagination is good for the metagame I think. Also I thought 2 deeps 1 cup were the favorites to win with their t3 relics and whatnot, guess good cc > all.

Telaran

I got screwed over hard in this tourney, but I hope it's a lesson to be learned for the next tournament. I only entered the tournament so I could try to get some plat/rex to buy my friends the new soul bundle. I had intended on using another player's account so that I wouldn't be undergeared compared to everyone else. Instead, I got told the morning of the event that I was no longer allowed to do so due to complaints from other participants in the tournmanet. So, here I am stuck with 0 cq power, a few pieces of warlord gear/freelancer essences, 1 or 2 pvp runes, and not a single relic item. I was already gimped going into the tourney as a dps. Sure, I had some crit power (800 or so), but that's still not high enough, and I lost whatever amount of decent AP i had to try and gain that CP just so i could do some decent burst damage.

Instead of arguing about this, I just accepted it and went on with the tourney. Aloegel and Caellia were nice enough to at least give me a chance to participate, so I just dealt with it. Well, it turns out that I got screwed over again because a 37 point chloro/dom and a 61 physician are allowed on the same team lol. It's impossible for heartattack and I to kill two healers (I say two because fast cast chlorodom healing is the equivalent of a normal healer itself). There was no way we could've possible killed them because of my gear relative to them. Sure, heartattack could go bm, but that doesn't even ensure that I could kill them because i couldn't do any burst dps with the gear i had. Not even a bard would save us there. It was already a forfeit at that point. I wanted to go physician to counter their comp because they just slowly drain mana bars (which is what they did to pompeezy and tyaus), but guess what? I have no physician soul or physician synergy crystal on my account. So yeah, it was gg at that point. The clerics would die a slow death no matter what, while the other team lived through our damage with 2 healers.

The rules need to be more well thought out and enforced for the next tourney. I'm not upset over what happened. It's just a video game after all. Luckily, Caellia and Aloegel were generous enough to give my friends the new soul bundles along with other gifts, even though they barely know me. I can't thank them enough for that. They truly are the nicest people I've ever met in any gaming community. I hope they receive something in return for everything they've done for the community because they really do deserve it. Anyways, thanks again for giving me the chance to participate. I played very rusty for being gone for so many months .

Quote Originally Posted by veeru View Post
    I got screwed over hard in this tourney, but I hope it's a lesson to be learned for the next tournament. I only entered the tournament so I could try to get some plat/rex to buy my friends the new soul bundle. I had intended on using another player's account so that I wouldn't be undergeared compared to everyone else. Instead, I got told the morning of the event that I was no longer allowed to do so due to complaints from other participants in the tournmanet. So, here I am stuck with 0 cq power, a few pieces of warlord gear/freelancer essences, 1 or 2 pvp runes, and not a single relic item. I was already gimped going into the tourney as a dps. Sure, I had some crit power (800 or so), but that's still not high enough, and I lost whatever amount of decent AP i had to try and gain that CP just so i could do some decent burst damage.

Instead of arguing about this, I just accepted it and went on with the tourney. Aloegel and Caellia were nice enough to at least give me a chance to participate, so I just dealt with it. Well, it turns out that I got screwed over again because a 37 point chloro/dom and a 61 physician are allowed on the same team lol. It's impossible for heartattack and I to kill two healers (I say two because fast cast chlorodom healing is the equivalent of a normal healer itself). There was no way we could've possible killed them because of my gear relative to them. Sure, heartattack could go bm, but that doesn't even ensure that I could kill them because i couldn't do any burst dps with the gear i had. Not even a bard would save us there. It was already a forfeit at that point. I wanted to go physician to counter their comp because they just slowly drain mana bars (which is what they did to pompeezy and tyaus), but guess what? I have no physician soul or physician synergy crystal on my account. So yeah, it was gg at that point. The clerics would die a slow death no matter what, while the other team lived through our damage with 2 healers.

The rules need to be more well thought out and enforced for the next tourney. I'm not upset over what happened. It's just a video game after all. Luckily, Caellia and Aloegel were generous enough to give my friends the new soul bundles along with other gifts, even though they barely know me. I can't thank them enough for that. They truly are the nicest people I've ever met in any gaming community. I hope they receive something in return for everything they've done for the community because they really do deserve it. Anyways, thanks again for giving me the chance to participate. I played very rusty for being gone for so many months .
    Clearly chloro's were the MVP of the tournament.

Prophet of Telara

You could just use another account without telling anyone, at least you would have fair chance ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Nnnxia View Post
    I really enjoy watching these contests play out! Good job to the organizers GA and grim for casting. Though grim you should get a better computer or something since your graphic settings seems to be on the low side.

For a spectator, 3v3 imo is the most interesting format since the matches are pretty fast compared to 5v5 which can take a while. Also 3v3 seems to have many more teams compared to the previous 5v5 tourney so nice diversity.

Hopefully this will grow large enough into a league like format with several divisions for different skill levels.

Class and gear balance will always be an issue, but I prefer it to remain relatively open and unrestricted since these things are a pain to enforce and imagination is good for the metagame I think. Also I thought 2 deeps 1 cup were the favorites to win with their t3 relics and whatnot, guess good cc > all.
    Did you miss last 5vs5 where people were dropping in seconds?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Slowburn View Post
    "Let's ban all the comps that I don't know how to counter." You shouldn't complain about the results of 1 tournament, just wait until the next one, I already know how to counter cdom and BM, without using either. You'll be crying about that comp as well, won't you?
    lol if thats the case next tourney i'm running 3 * 40/36 sin/phys ...its clearly a dps spec right?? or even better 40/36 rs/phys ...force you to have a match with 0 healers after 3 ties.. (which that spec would be considered as a non healer spec) and the more creative ideas would follow.

How can you guys even justify that anything that high in chloro isn't a healing spec (even if chloro still sucks compared to phys or cleric heals)

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Firebl@de View Post
    lol if thats the case next tourney i'm running 3 * 40/36 sin/phys ...its clearly a dps spec right?? or even better 40/36 rs/phys ...force you to have a match with 0 healers after 3 ties.. (which that spec would be considered as a non healer spec) and the more creative ideas would follow.

How can you guys even justify that anything that high in chloro isn't a healing spec (even if chloro still sucks compared to phys or cleric heals)
    Go for it, you'd lose the first round.

Unless you played vs a WL/Ranger team.*
    Last edited by Slowburn; 06-29-2014 at 08:40 PM.
    Nerfshot/Slowshot/Noobshot

Plane Touched

I had intended on using another player's account
    I would be careful talking about that so readily since that is against the TOS. You were very cool in asking them beforehand but if they took the stance of not allowing it, I couldn't blame them at all. We can't openly voice our acceptance of such things. But in the future, what we don't know can't be held against you. /whistles
    Rift PvP videos and Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/grimgamingrift
    Huge GIVEAWAYS every Saturday on the channel!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast