+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: what bracket does pyro start sucking?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by SprawlnBrawl View Post
    I had an easy time as mm rogue fresh 60 among already geared players. pyro will likely be easier if anything. more control and more burst
    Pyro has less runspeed though.

MM is probably the most forgiving spec when it comes to positioning in the game.

Plane Walker

but i can already sense the excuses being built in for when i start posting fresh 60 SS. I'm sure i will just be "lucky" and get paired with lots of noobs and bad healers while every other fresh 60 mage just so happens to be unlucky and always vsing r90 PMs
    Don't give me SS's. Just let us know when you hit 60. That will be some nice extra favor for everyone.

the matchmaking system has a hidden elo for your win/loss ratio that also factors in which team you are placed on. people with bad elo are put on teams with good elo, gear isn't really factored into the matchmaking system at all (rank probably is though). people with no elo and put in with others with no elo. and at high traffic hours there are many more scrubs in bad gear queueing, and a lot of teams are comprised mostly of those players. at fresh 60 you'll probably get thrown into their matches. during off-hours you get the SuperElitePro™ CQ Hero premades who will be in every single one of your matches because they're the only ones queueing

i didn't play for a month and then came back and started queueing, literally every match i was in there wasn't a single person on my team or the other with more than half warlord gear. i was getting absurd 30-0 streaks, hitting people for 10k non-crit cinderbursts because they just didn't have gear equipped. it's almost comical.
    Last edited by Ianto Jones; 06-16-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caldern View Post

MM is probably the most forgiving spec when it comes to positioning in the game.
    run speed helps skilled players with good positioning but it wont help the average warfront rogue that is already overextended, no more than a stun+blink+sprint will help an average pyro at least

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    the matchmaking system has a hidden elo for your win/loss ratio that also factors in which team you are placed on. people with bad elo are put on teams with good elo, gear isn't really factored into the matchmaking system at all (rank probably is though). people with no elo and put in with others with no elo. and at high traffic hours there are many more scrubs in bad gear queueing, and a lot of teams are comprised mostly of those players. at fresh 60 you'll probably get thrown into their matches. during off-hours you get the SuperElitePro™ CQ Hero premades who will be in every single one of your matches because they're the only ones queueing

you were lucky then, from my understanding it does not work like that. Instead it takes the people in the system and places them in a pool. The highest ranked player goes to team A, 2nd highest ranked player goes to team B and so on until both teams are full. i dont think there is such a thing as no ELO, don't typical ELO systems start you at the mid point versus zero, a la WoW arena?
    Last edited by SprawlnBrawl; 06-16-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Eh. That's my biggest complaint with Mages: often no matter what we play, there's diminishing returns every time a new Mage enters the Warfront. That's why, while I love Pyrochon for PvP (one of the most fun specs we've had since Storm Legion), I'm not sad to see it go in 2.8.
    Where is Pyrochon going in 2.8?

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Caldern View Post

7 points in harb = 10% perma speed buff
    6 points in archon = flowing sands (50% speed buff)
    11 points in SC = Ride the wind (50% speed buff)

Add those (not all obviously) to burning bonds, flicker, backdraft + flashfire. I dont think MM is any more forgiving than pyro regarding positioning as long as you use the correct off-souls.

disclaimer: for now.......
    Last edited by Pett; 06-17-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Generic Player View Post
    Where is Pyrochon going in 2.8?
    Well, maybe nowhere, but likely to the wayside. Spark is being moved further up the tree which will hurt Pyrochon's burst a lot. It might still be viable as a 4x/3x hybrid though because of Pyromania. There's a good chance that full Pyro will simply outclass it.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Pett View Post

Add those (not all obviously) to burning bonds, flicker, backdraft + flashfire. I dont think MM is any more forgiving than pyro regarding positioning as long as you use the correct off-souls.

Pyros also have to stop and cast quite a bit. Even more if pyrochon. MM has an extreme amount of mobility and maybe slightly less utility. Eradicate is pretty nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zindrix View Post
    Pyros also have to stop and cast quite a bit. Even more if pyrochon. MM has an extreme amount of mobility and maybe slightly less utility. Eradicate is pretty nice though.
    Deaden is the most overpowered CC ability in the game. oGCD 5s debilitate on a 10s cooldown against casters? Ridiculous. And Rogues want Marksman buffed, it's almost comical.

Plane Walker

I had an easy time as mm rogue fresh 60 among already geared players. pyro will likely be easier if anything. more control and more burst
    How quickly we forget how overpowered MM was... Remember you didn't even need to use Deadeye Shot? All you needed was Head Shot and you easily topped the damage and KBs in warfronts wearing freelancer gear.

I had a lot of fun in MM too, but there's been a ton of PvP nerfs to it since the time period you're talking about.
    Last edited by Malidrag; 06-18-2014 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malidrag View Post
    How quickly we forget how overpowered MM was... Remember you didn't even need to use Deadeye Shot? All you needed was Head Shot and you easily topped the damage and KBs in warfronts wearing freelancer gear.

I had a lot of fun in MM too, but there's been a ton of PvP nerfs to it since the time period you're talking about.
    when? when my rogue was fresh nb was the win spec. this was pre expansion before bolstering as well I think.

when? when my rogue was fresh nb was the win spec. this was pre expansion before bolstering as well I think.
    *NB/RS
    NB always was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Pett View Post

8% in harb not 10
    50% percent in chon on a 1min cd, requires a target and you to be facing the target.
    11 in sc prob the best choice with the new changes as you actually get something more than runspeed for 11 points since they took away icy vortex. (requires charge)
    flicker port foward 15m removes cc. 20s cd.

lets take a look at mm
    on the double 50% runspeed 30s cd removes cc.
    hasted shot 20% runspeed 15s duration. useable whenever.
    hasty departure 3% runspeed if hit stacks to 5 for 15. 10s duration
    retreat. leap backwards removes cc 45s cd
    reload resets all mm cds 3m cd.
    0p 15m port from rs 45s cd.

pretty sure mm wins overall. not having to cast helps as well. yes pyro does have stuns but if the target is immune then tough cookies.

edit. and of course im talking about positioning before some rogues jumps down my throat.
    Last edited by zasen; 06-18-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    pyro doesn't suck, but it's pvp skill cap certainly isn't reflected in it's effectiveness.
    It is impossible to agree with this any more I think

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast