+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: AFK timers: Too short

Default AFK timers: Too short

I was just in a conquest match in Steppes of Infinity. My team was leading by a 5000 point margin (poor Nightfall had only 6) over the dominion, who had 2000 points (roughly). As I headed back to base to turn in the Empowered Sourcestone, I got interrupted by my sister wanting a bowl of popcorn and her Bones series DVD loaded (she doesn't know how the Blu-Ray player works). Seeing no harm coming from it (5000 point lead = a general sign the other 2 teams have a serious lack of leadership), I left my character in the base, went downstairs, and heated up a bowl of popcorn for my sister. I loaded the Bones episode she wanted, and after she's settled in, I go back upstairs. I wasn't gone longer than 4 minutes.

I come back, I am apparently kicked from the map because 15 people have marked me as AFK. I'm thinking "That is wrong, just absolutely wrong." I was literally minutes away from claiming my victory. I am about to rejoin, but it says Oathsworn is full. Now I am without a victory, 2 guildies (Meatbicycle and Frylok, also conquest players) are smirking at me, and I am UPSET AT TRION. I want the AFK timers lengthened slightly or I, like many other players, am done with conquest.

The problem is, "Can a man not go to the bathroom or (in this case) heat up a bucket of popcorn (both takes 3 minutes each) without getting 50 AFK reports?"

Apologies if this sounded threatening, but I am upset. I think I am going to cry.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Shedelin View Post
    I was just in a conquest match in Steppes of Infinity. My team was leading by a 5000 point margin (poor Nightfall had only 6) over the dominion, who had 2000 points (roughly). As I headed back to base to turn in the Empowered Sourcestone, I got interrupted by my sister wanting a bowl of popcorn and her Bones series DVD loaded (she doesn't know how the Blu-Ray player works). Seeing no harm coming from it (5000 point lead = a general sign the other 2 teams have a serious lack of leadership), I left my character in the base, went downstairs, and heated up a bowl of popcorn for my sister. I loaded the Bones episode she wanted, and after she's settled in, I go back upstairs. I wasn't gone longer than 4 minutes.

I come back, I am apparently kicked from the map because 15 people have marked me as AFK. I'm thinking "That is wrong, just absolutely wrong." I was literally minutes away from claiming my victory. I am about to rejoin, but it says Oathsworn is full. Now I am without a victory, 2 guildies (Meatbicycle and Frylok, also conquest players) are smirking at me, and I am UPSET AT TRION. I want the AFK timers lengthened slightly or I, like many other players, am done with conquest.

The problem is, "Can a man not go to the bathroom or (in this case) heat up a bucket of popcorn (both takes 3 minutes each) without getting 50 AFK reports?"

Apologies if this sounded threatening, but I am upset. I think I am going to cry.
    It would be nice to be able to go to the bathroom during a long CQ... People that want to AFK in CQ already run bots for it. I see no issue here.

You need to practice the art of power pooing, young grasshoppa. Speed up your number two.

Quote Originally Posted by asianguywithacamera View Post
    You need to practice the art of power pooing, young grasshoppa. Speed up your number two.
    Seriously, you guys have no sympathy for me? I am not very happy with Trion's AFK system at this point. There is a very fine line between knowing when someone is AFK and needs to leave and just random trolls just wanting to make room for one of their trollish friends, so they find someone who didn't move in 10 seconds and gets 14 people to throw him out.

And now Frylok and Meatbicycle are just plain laughing in my face. Someone wake up both of them and explain who specifically started the AFK reports, because that's likely our troll.

Am I going too fast for you all?

Again, apologies if I sound threatening, but as you can see, I am not happy with the AFK system.
    Last edited by Shedelin; 06-12-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Trion's afk system is like the US government unemployment and welfare system. Give the citizens a little more slack and leeway, people will find a way to milk it for all it's worth. Meanwhile, the rest of us hard at work have to subsidize those who aren't working.

Tldr you got booted one time, get over it. Life is too short to lose sleep over a video game.

You don't get kicked from the map by players, that is the automated AFK timer.

AFK timer can feel short, but make a dash back to jump or something every minute.

I have successfully grilled 2 hotdogs in my backyard while Rift ran on my PC in my front room. Flawlessly without a kick, and they tasted great.

Sir, if I can grill hotdogs in my backyard, you can heat up some popcorn.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    Sir, if I can grill hotdogs in my backyard, you can heat up some popcorn.
    I don't know. I think popcorn requires more attention than hot dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Malidrag View Post
    I don't know. I think popcorn requires more attention than hot dogs.
    Not when they are on a 500 - 600 degree grill, in the backyard (not just a kitchen 2 rooms away). Yeah maybe if you microwave or boil your hotdogs. Popcorn is like....put it in the microwave, set the timer, and leave it...and come back if the fire alarm goes off. Way easier.

Or perhaps you are unaware of the attention I give my hotdogs and why I basically am on par with Five Guys when it comes to hot dogs.
    Last edited by Violacea; 06-12-2014 at 12:03 PM.
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Popcorn is like....put it in the microwave, set the timer, and leave it...and come back if the fire alarm goes off.

What if they don't have a microwave and had to pop the corn themselves?
    Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

Seriously, you guys have no sympathy for me?
    There is no sympathy on the Rift forums.

I suggest you take these concerns to the forums for Hello Kitty Island Adventure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
    What if they don't have a microwave and had to pop the corn themselves?
    That would be kickin' it oldschool and certainly be noteworthy.
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Plane Walker

Not when they are on a 500 - 600 degree grill, in the backyard (not just a kitchen 2 rooms away). Yeah maybe if you microwave or boil your hotdogs. Popcorn is like....put it in the microwave, set the timer, and leave it...and come back if the fire alarm goes off. Way easier.

Or perhaps you are unaware of the attention I give my hotdogs and why I basically am on par with Five Guys when it comes to hot dogs.
    Popcorn requires precision timing or it tastes nasty and your house smells like burnt popcorn for an hour. You stop the microwave when pops are staggered about one second apart.

Hot Dogs on the grill should be burnt to hell. Thick, long, and black. I like my Hot Dogs like I like my... oh damn.

Hot Dogs from a chain?!??!? Hell no. If you're east coast than my favorites are the Hot Weiner Shop, Harry Main Street Grill, or Cap't Franks.

The AFK timer is very short in Conquest, it's only a couple of minutes or so and you can jump right back in. You probably didn't get reported, hardly anybody cares about that. I time out all the time and come right back in. In fact, I AFK out constantly to fast travel to the other side of the map, to catch up to zerg after they wipe, rebuff when I'm running around solo, it's no big deal at all to drop out of CQ. Unless you were on the winning team and it's full when you try to rejoin.

It's a little short. I've gotten kicked when I thought I was making good time. And maybe it's a girl thing, but 2 minutes longer would make a big difference where bathroom breaks are concerned.

Seriously, you guys have no sympathy for me?
    you will find there is very little, if any, sympathy for AFKers.
    which is what you were. you went Away From your Keyboard.
    the problem with lengthening the afk timer is that it encourages leaches, which players like even less.

now you know how short the afk timer is, you'll take steps to avoid being afk for that long in future.

P.S. no player on your team marked you afk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast