+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: PUG's need your help...for just 50 lines of code a day, you too can help....

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Oh I wasn't really meaning to claim to be a genius, but it seems I did lol. I don't really ascribe the word any specific definition; genius is an abstraction more than a quantifiable quality so I use it lightly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As far as I know that's wrong, though. 160 is 4 standard deviations out, which is exceedingly rare, a tiny fraction of a percent of the population. I think genius is more common than that. IQs aren't great as a sole measure anyhow; I think I read in one of Richard Feynman's books that he had an IQ of 120, and anyone who has read one of his books knows how funny that is.
    Theres a fine line between genius and insanity

Last time i was tested my IQ was around 150. However IQ tests dont test everything, they are primarily logic and deduction tests. I'm sure you are familiar with the term 'idiot savante' and how people have come through IQ tests classified as genius while not being able to learn the assosciation between the feeling of needing to pee and actually going and doing it. There was a case a few years back of an autistic kid, about 12 i think, coming out with a 170 IQ.

I'm extremely good at tests and exams, i'm not so good at remembering specifics long term which makes working in data programming an interesting challenge thats for sure. I know what to do, i know how to do it, but i'll be damned if i can remember where that lousy semi-colon should be.

**** it. i'm LITERALLY a genius. IQ 162. All I get is money, to crawl up pipe/tube. I hate it. Abso-lute_ly ****ING hate it. It's the scariest, most ******** ever..... last job I had to crawl up a pipe, filled with refractory, 200 feet iin the air (vertical) in full respirator, oxy on my back, Dudes yellin up pipe, " Hey hurry up"... when the ONLY ****ing footing i have is literally LESS than my certified steel toes.. I thought this would be a glamorous job, but it's not. Imagine the scariest **** ever.... and then volunteer to dive in and one up it. AND I THOUGHT I WAS SMART!!! this is a warning and a lesson for those who listen. Be careful.
    There are 3 types of people in this world...
    1. People with buttons
    2. People who like to push buttons

been to 2 wars as well. Iraq, AND Afghanistan. I hate *******, and what I hate more is coddled **** that think they know wtf life is about.
    There are 3 types of people in this world...
    1. People with buttons
    2. People who like to push buttons

As has been said Elitizt...

Brag about your wage all you like (on the net lol..too funny)....but IQ is no indicator of success or what job you do or how much you can earn. I know many people with Masters degrees who are as thick as two short planks. Conversely, know plenty of school drop-outs who are vastly intelligent. But that comment was not aimed at you, it was aimed at the moron who assumed we're all stupid. He's so smart he doesn't even know what IQ is, how it is tested and that it bears little to no relevance regarding PvP. So, the smart comment back to me kinda failed ;)

Now, you made suggestions, that 'could' be done...none of them really within your power. Again, you want it to change, do it yourself. As with most things in life, job interviews, teaching noob PvP'ers, talking to people, whatever, you will probably only have a 1% success rate in finding someone/something that was worth the effort.

This was your first paragraph btw:
    I think the problem with random's is the fact that they just don't understand the basic do's and don'ts of pvp. It's like giving someone a driver's license and letting them loose on the world and they don't even have a concept of what a Stop sign is.
    Misconstrued what you 'assume' and 'think'? I shouldn't take offence at basically being told I 'just don't understand the basic's?' Then get off here and show people.

The question is, is it worth the effort to you (or the general PvP community who whine about noobs, the actual people you need to keep an active community going), or do you wish to continue in forum PvP and moan about how bad it is without actually taking the time and effort to try and improve it yourself?

Btw, maybe the bad has been lowered since back in '98, took mine in 91 ;)

@Ianto, thanks for your constructive comment.
    Last edited by Ualani; 06-17-2014 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ualani View Post
    For the op...your forum name suits you perfectly btw.

Now, as a new player to Rift (6 weeks) and a new player to Rifts PvP (3 days starting with a level 10 character purely for PvP), and I am a complete 'Rift' PvP noob. And will freely admit it. (though not new to MMO Pvp'ing).

I have run WF's every night for the last 3 nights, and...to say that some of them have been interesting as an understatement (though killing the elitist prick who called me a noob in the very next WF when he was on the opposite side was a highlight I admit).

Now then, you make many a good point, but other than a 'might make a guide' actually offer NO help to anyone. Especially people like myself. In all the WF's I have done over the last 3 days, not a single person asked if anyone was new. In fact, rarely has anyone spoken at all. So, what I've learnt so far, has been through raw experience and reading forums/sites on the net. No elitist PvP god (like yourself) has offered any help or even bothered to ask anything. Just give out grief.

I'm also a member of Mensa (for the idiot who assumed we're all dumb and stupid), so probably more intelligent and have a vastly higher IQ than him. I am also happy to learn, be given instructions and be guided. But is anyone offering? No, yet you whine and complain and have an elitist attitude that we are all clueless? Well, is it any wonder. *****ing here is not going to change how well I play is it?

Now, Trion offer no in-game help regarding PvP. From my 25+ years of gaming, very very few games do. You learn it, get taught by others, or, already know the basics. Has been that way forever. So, knowing this (I assume you actually are an adult yes?) why don't you shout out on chat..."any new PvP'ers want to learn the ropes"? Maybe you might actually be surprised at how many will reply to you. I sure as hell would. I want to get better and be more useful.

Already, by reading all the posts, I've learnt something new again, so thanks to all who have commented, but bottom line is, you want it to change, you want better and more experienced players around, then find the time and make it happen yourself. Otherwise, I'll be continuing to pug WF's acting like a 'noob' in your eyes ;)
    It was way before your time but this community actually attempted to actively help new players. Problem was they either never sought help or, when approached, immediately reacted as if they were too good to take advice. We had set up an array of experienced members and provided them on the forums to help new people and nothing happened because people are too prideful.

Tohrid...

And let me guess, like Elitizt, they gave up because finding that 1% rough diamonds through the multitude of crap 'was not worth the effort'?

Then they only have themselves to blame if they quit helping. Common sense dictates through the law of averages that for every 100 people you speak to, you might actually 'connect' with less than 5% of them. Easier to quit isn't it?

==
    As an edit to my previous post (can't edit it anymore):

Also note, yes, most people probably do not want to listen to you, or want advice. They think they know it all, are better. I for one am not. I would be grateful of any help to improve. Yet, it seems people can't really be assed....yet they expect it to change and for us noobs to get better....which way do you want it.

As kronos said in a different thread I read, at least I'm trying to learn from the start (not starting at 60) and in a way asking for advice, wanting to be better. I'm just pointing out the flaws in the OP's post, which will never change unless people like yourself make it change. It's the people like me you should be grabbing...not berating ;)

Tohrid...

And let me guess, like Elitizt, they gave up because finding that 1% rough diamonds through the multitude of crap 'was not worth the effort'?

Then they only have themselves to blame if they quit helping. Common sense dictates through the law of averages that for every 100 people you speak to, you might actually 'connect' with less than 5% of them. Easier to quit isn't it?

==
    As an edit to my previous post (can't edit it anymore):

Also note, yes, most people probably do not want to listen to you, or want advice. They think they know it all, are better. I for one am not. I would be grateful of any help to improve. Yet, it seems people can't really be assed....yet they expect it to change and for us noobs to get better....which way do you want it.

As kronos said in a different thread I read, at least I'm trying to learn from the start (not starting at 60) and in a way asking for advice, wanting to be better. I'm just pointing out the flaws in the OP's post, which will never change unless people like yourself make it change. It's the people like me you should be grabbing...not berating ;)
    Nice try but your just insulting to hear yourself. We didn't give up, it just didn't take form, I am still in contact with those individuals, we still have our channel to contact each other on if one of us needs help answering a question. But hey big man, that's only been here long enough to think they know something, party on, keep loving yourself and most important #dontattemptintellegencewhenyouhavenone
    Last edited by Tohrid; 06-17-2014 at 04:15 AM.

Shadowlander

excellent post.

i have found that a group of well-trained strangers can perform as well as a premade, the key being that once everyone knows what to do they will go do it, regardless who they are playing with.

i think even veteran pvpers benefit from reminders, like fighting on nodes not roads, not always chasing a kill, retreating from a fight that you will not win, sacrificing yourself to delay a cap as long as possible so reinforcements can arrive, communication of incoming including numbers and directions ("inc to dex" is helpful, "4 inc to dex from scope" is even more helpful) , and my favorite is assisting. rift makes it so easy to assist off of other players it amazes me how few people will do it. you truly can, quite easily, focus fire players. target of target is a wonderful thing. marking targets is also great, you can put green crosses on enemy healers and a big red "AVOID" sign on the warrior being pocket healed. reading charts ftw.

i think repetition of key points helps everyone, and if in the beginning of a match we have people laying out some reminders/groundwork, it opens constructive communication right from the start. it also creates an environment where people feel more comfortable voicing questions and giving answers.

but this community actually attempted
    Maybe you should actually say what you meant then...

Maybe you should actually say what you meant then...
    Your confused in my meaning and then want to attack another community member over intelligence? #ironyrunningwild

As for the rest of your reply, kind of exactly the problem isn't it ;) So I've gone against the established old-guard PvP vets and pointed out flaws. I get berated for it. Called unintelligent, and I even admitted I would appreciate help and that I 'don't know something' like a 'big man' such as yourself...

And then you wonder why noobs either don't want to, or won't listen to you...change your attitudes.

The problem as been created entirely by people such as yourself. Typical PvP crap in any game....For it change....well....

Btw you forgot...
    #dontattemptintellegencewhenyouhavenone
    Who is attacking who I wonder?

Secondly...confused? You do know the difference been 'attempting' to do something, and 'actually doing' something yes?
    Last edited by Ualani; 06-17-2014 at 07:10 AM.

As for the rest of your reply, kind of exactly the problem isn't it ;) So I've gone against the established old-guard PvP vets and pointed out flaws. I get berated for it. Called unintelligent, and I even admitted I would appreciate help and that I 'don't know something' like a 'big man' such as yourself...

And then you wonder why noobs either don't want to, or won't listen to you...change your attitudes.

The problem as been created entirely by people such as yourself. Typical PvP crap in any game....For it change....well....

Btw you forgot...
    #dontattemptintellegencewhenyouhavenone

Who is attacking who I wonder?

Secondly...confused? You do know the difference been 'attempting' to do something, and 'actually doing' something yes?
    Actually if you want to go over what just happened there, I came in to let you know that it's been attempted cause I felt your pain. And for some reason, maybe an inferiority complex, you decided to attack that post, thus resulting intelligence becoming public knowledge.

#workinghardfornoobssince2011
    Last edited by Tohrid; 06-17-2014 at 07:16 AM.

And there you go insulting me again...refer you back to my previous post. Resulting intelligence eh? hehe...yeah...you're showing it.

Nothing more to say in this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaet View Post
    Just one thing...codex is a different case. Everybody know that capping codex is the main target but if your team do not have the power to keep it is better to focus in trying to keep the other 3 targets. I was called ******ed yesterday for proposing to forget codex and cap the other 3, it was against the code of conduct but that is not the case we are talking right now.
    Great post and pretty useful information.
    English is my second language, sorry for grammar.
    i love trolling teams that keep 10 people at dex while nobody is attacking and they are being 3 capped

And there you go insulting me again...refer you back to my previous post. Resulting intelligence eh? hehe...yeah...you're showing it.

Nothing more to say in this topic.
    I'm confused, when did you say something?

#lookingforinformation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast