+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: PUG's need your help...for just 50 lines of code a day, you too can help....

For the op...your forum name suits you perfectly btw.

Now, as a new player to Rift (6 weeks) and a new player to Rifts PvP (3 days starting with a level 10 character purely for PvP), and I am a complete 'Rift' PvP noob. And will freely admit it. (though not new to MMO Pvp'ing).

I have run WF's every night for the last 3 nights, and...to say that some of them have been interesting as an understatement (though killing the elitist prick who called me a noob in the very next WF when he was on the opposite side was a highlight I admit).

Now then, you make many a good point, but other than a 'might make a guide' actually offer NO help to anyone. Especially people like myself. In all the WF's I have done over the last 3 days, not a single person asked if anyone was new. In fact, rarely has anyone spoken at all. So, what I've learnt so far, has been through raw experience and reading forums/sites on the net. No elitist PvP god (like yourself) has offered any help or even bothered to ask anything. Just give out grief.

I'm also a member of Mensa (for the idiot who assumed we're all dumb and stupid), so probably more intelligent and have a vastly higher IQ than him. I am also happy to learn, be given instructions and be guided. But is anyone offering? No, yet you whine and complain and have an elitist attitude that we are all clueless? Well, is it any wonder. *****ing here is not going to change how well I play is it?

Now, Trion offer no in-game help regarding PvP. From my 25+ years of gaming, very very few games do. You learn it, get taught by others, or, already know the basics. Has been that way forever. So, knowing this (I assume you actually are an adult yes?) why don't you shout out on chat..."any new PvP'ers want to learn the ropes"? Maybe you might actually be surprised at how many will reply to you. I sure as hell would. I want to get better and be more useful.

Already, by reading all the posts, I've learnt something new again, so thanks to all who have commented, but bottom line is, you want it to change, you want better and more experienced players around, then find the time and make it happen yourself. Otherwise, I'll be continuing to pug WF's acting like a 'noob' in your eyes ;)
    Last edited by Ualani; 06-16-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ualani View Post

Now, as a new player to Rift (6 weeks) and a new player to Rifts PvP (3 days starting with a level 10 character purely for PvP), and I am a complete 'Rift' PvP noob. And will freely admit it. (though not new to MMO Pvp'ing).

I have run WF's every night for the last 3 nights, and...to say that some of them have been interesting as an understatement (though killing the elitist prick who called me a noob in the very next WF when he was on the opposite side was a highlight I admit).

Now then, you make many a good point, but other than a 'might make a guide' actually offer NO help to anyone. Especially people like myself. In all the WF's I have done over the last 3 days, not a single person asked if anyone was new. In fact, rarely has anyone spoken at all. So, what I've learnt so far, has been through raw experience and reading forums/sites on the net. No elitist PvP god (like yourself) has offered any help or even bothered to ask anything. Just give out grief.

I'm also a member of Mensa (for the idiot who assumed we're all dumb and stupid), so probably more intelligent and have a vastly higher IQ than him. I am also happy to learn, be given instructions and be guided. But is anyone offering? No, yet you whine and complain and have an elitist attitude that we are all clueless? Well, is it any wonder. *****ing here is not going to change how well I play is it?

Now, Trion offer no in-game help regarding PvP. From my 25+ years of gaming, very very few games do. You learn it, get taught by others, or, already know the basics. Has been that way forever. So, knowing this (I assume you actually are an adult yes?) why don't you shout out on chat..."any new PvP'ers want to learn the ropes"? Maybe you might actually be surprised at how many will reply to you. I sure as hell would. I want to get better and be more useful.

Already, by reading all the posts, I've learnt something new again, so thanks to all who have commented, but bottom line is, you want it to change, you want better and more experienced players around, then find the time and make it happen yourself. Otherwise, I'll be continuing to pug WF's acting like a 'noob' in your eyes ;)
    You're a member of Mensa but can't figure out Rift pvp? I call trolling.

Not much to figure out in all honesty, if you do a bit of research first ;)

Not that the two have anything in relation to each at all.....

I mean, it's so simple, finding out how far away I am from rank 2 should be...well...why am I even asking eh?

And if it's so simple, really, wtf is the op on about ;)

I'll leave those thoughts with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Aveleys View Post
    I have an IQ of 142 but I'm still terrible and clueless, apparently. Rift is really hard. Especially Pyro. Ask Sprawl, he'll tell you.

He does have a good point though. I was really bad at PvP when I was new. I learned and got better by playing with and talking to some of the best players. The game does nothing to teach and promote good PvP performance and does a lot to discourage it. The community is full of jaded vets and charlatans. There's a dearth of good information, partly because things change so much but moreso because nobody is going to put the time or effort into developing guides for content that the devs clearly give fewer than zero ****s about. The people who actually care about the game only stay around to complain, and everyone else is a divested casual.

p.s. even geniuses have blind spots. You should see me try to crack an egg. I understand surface tension, but **** me that **** is hard.

Rift Disciple

I think the best thing that could be done for warfront strategy would be a buff (unlocked through the War PA tree) that displays enemy players on the minimap if they are visible to a teammate who also has the buff; like Satcoms in Call of Duty. This would allow raid leaders to better coordinate their forces, and give individual players a bigger picture of the battlefield.

That and fix random warfront matchmaking to stratify games based on PR. Better players with better gear play against each other, noobs play against each other, everybody has fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagnara View Post
    I think the best thing that could be done for warfront strategy would be a buff (unlocked through the War PA tree) that displays enemy players on the minimap if they are visible to a teammate who also has the buff; like Satcoms in Call of Duty. This would allow raid leaders to better coordinate their forces, and give individual players a bigger picture of the battlefield.
    You realise there's a recon vial that shows all friendly and enemy players in range on your minimap right?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Aveleys View Post
    Those internet IQ tests are pretty boss. All of my friends have an IQ well over 100.

I heard that they changed the tests to give an average score 120.

Quote Originally Posted by Ualani View Post

Hmmm,...I'm not really sure why you're attacking me when I was simply trying to bring a new helpful solution to the table THAT HAS NEVER BEEN DONE IN AN MMO BEFORE. You have misconstrued my posts and somehow taken personal offense. All I can say is, Mensa must've lowered the bar since my enrollment back in '98.

I'm am relatively new to rift as well. I get to play for a few months at a time, then I have to go back on the road to work and make Ungodly sums of money(mostly based on my superior IQ). So in my downtime, I learn as much as possible, as fast possible. I personally make it a point of pride to be an asset to my team, not an anchor. Noone has taught me ANYTHING on rift(besides forum pvp). I strictly que solo, and I'm very anti-social when it comes to guilds and online "friends". I've preened it all from tooltips and whatever information I can gather from anywhere I can. I test build, I experiment in warfronts, I see what works for me personally and apply it the best I can. There is nothing that I do that any other player isn't able to do.
    You say I made alot of good points, yet I didn't offer any help to anyone? Anyone with half a brain could've taken something from my first post and applied the tidbits of pvp strategy and tactics. Also, they would've noticed by making this very thread and asking for a helpful beginner's PVP training camp to be implemented and asking the community at large for other suggestions to remedy the terrible malady known as "Chronic Noobitis". You expect me to spend my time to babysit and hold the hands of complete strangers, who most likely won't even listen and if they do I only reach maybe .1% of the player base? When I already suggested a vastly better suggestion right here in this very thread that would reach 100%? I don't know how well you scored in math, but my math says I win. Common sense goes a LONG way in this world, PVP in rift is no exception. Sadly, common sense isn't very common. If I were to write a guide, I would ask the community to contribute and just make a compendium of what I plucked from players that are honestly better and more knowledgeable than me...and then I'd burn it. Noone deserves that much power.
    There are 3 types of people in this world...
    1. People with buttons
    2. People who like to push buttons

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    I have an IQ of 142 ...

p.s. even geniuses have blind spots. You should see me try to crack an egg. I understand surface tension, but **** me that **** is hard.
    while many Nobel prize winners have been significantly lower, genius is usually considered to be an IQ of 160.
    I was tested as a child, and fell just short of the mark

P.S. and I'm also bad at pvp. still enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

My IQ is bigger than your IQ.
    -=[ Virulent - 65 - P100 | Harlakk - 65 - P100 | Ascaroth - 62 - P95 | Brahman - 65 - P92 ]=-
    -=[ VirulentX - 70 - P100 | Harlakk - 70 - P92 | Ascaroth - 60 - P10 | BrahmanX - 1 - P0 ]=-
    | VIRALIST: 65 |

Quote Originally Posted by V1rul3n7 View Post
    My IQ is bigger than your IQ.
    IQ doesn't mean "chromosome count".
    1. People with buttons

You know what? They are right, i've thought about it and I'm not doing enough for the PUG community,...
    I'm going to start doing push ups RIGHt NOW.
    1. People with buttons

PUG's need your help...for just 50 lines of code a day, you too can help....-riftkitty.jpg
    Even Bobcat kittens are tired of it,,,,trion, you can't even keep "wildcats" awake with current pvp. Sleepy kitty is bored by crossheals.
    1. People with buttons

I knew a kid with 160 iq but he s hit his pants a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    while many Nobel prize winners have been significantly lower, genius is usually considered to be an IQ of 160.
    I was tested as a child, and fell just short of the mark

P.S. and I'm also bad at pvp. still enjoy it.
    Oh I wasn't really meaning to claim to be a genius, but it seems I did lol. I don't really ascribe the word any specific definition; genius is an abstraction more than a quantifiable quality so I use it lightly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As far as I know that's wrong, though. 160 is 4 standard deviations out, which is exceedingly rare, a tiny fraction of a percent of the population. I think genius is more common than that. IQs aren't great as a sole measure anyhow; I think I read in one of Richard Feynman's books that he had an IQ of 120, and anyone who has read one of his books knows how funny that is.
    Last edited by Ianto Jones; 06-17-2014 at 12:58 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast