+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Conquest possible on a laptop?

Rift Master

Default Conquest possible on a laptop?

Did conquest today for the first time on my cleric, it was awful. My team was actually decent in that nobody was yelling, swearing, or being otherwise unpleasant. But...I can't really participate. Every 5-10 sec, game was going back to load screen and would get stuck at 95% for a few sec. I died several times because of this. Running was choppy, I would move a few steps, load screen, and back to where I was before I started running. If I hit a skill with a cast time, say soul drain, it took 5-6 seconds to cast, during which time it would return to the load screen.

My game settings are already as low as they can go. Are there any settings I can adjust on my laptop to make conquest even possible? A new computer isn't really in the cards right now.

Sorry to say, but no.
    Even free cost too much now

It doesn't really run well on anything.

Rift Master

I was hoping to hear otherwise mainly because normal warfronts don't present this problem. Occasionally I get hiccups in performance at whitefall steppes if I'm playing during a timeframe that's heavily populated, but nowhere near the extent of conquest. Guess I'll be sticking to normal warfronts for my pvp fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Taledra View Post
    I was hoping to hear otherwise mainly because normal warfronts don't present this problem. Occasionally I get hiccups in performance at whitefall steppes if I'm playing during a timeframe that's heavily populated, but nowhere near the extent of conquest. Guess I'll be sticking to normal warfronts for my pvp fix.
    Conquest is not a normal warfront. Look at all the players in it. My pc desktop struggles at an advancing zerg. You don't know one's upon you until you're dead.
    Last edited by Nuuli; 06-06-2014 at 03:56 PM.

I was lucky enough to be a part of a community who helped me get a laptop that runs cq at decent fps.

Look into lenovo think pads if you are looking for affordable.

If you have nvidea go through its programs recomended settings.
    Last edited by Pocketzoar; 06-06-2014 at 03:58 PM.
    Undeadwarrior & Zoarbot @Deepwood.
    Believe it or not Rift has an unofficial Facebook PvP alliance group .~All are welcome~

Champion of Telara

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad...dp/B00HIY96WO/

The one with dual Geforce cards runs less than $1,000. I use it and it plays CQ fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Caeus View Post

The one with dual Geforce cards runs less than $1,000. I use it and it plays CQ fine.
    That's the one I have :P

It runs everything really well.
    Last edited by Pocketzoar; 06-06-2014 at 06:28 PM.
    Undeadwarrior & Zoarbot @Deepwood.
    Believe it or not Rift has an unofficial Facebook PvP alliance group .~All are welcome~

I bought a msi dominator and that laptop runs CQ like a champ , 3.7 CPU speed , 8 gigs of ram and I put 3 ssd drives in super raid my hard drive reads at 1532 Mbps

Rift Chaser

if u want to do CQ on laptop, get those i7, SSD and at least 2GB VGA ram. This game prefer Intel chip than AMD. Dunoe why. lol. MSI gaming laptop might do the trick.

CPU L3 Cache > CPU Speed > Graphic card > SSD > ram

Prophet of Telara

I have a Asus G75v, it has a I7 3630 2.4 Ghz with 12gb of memory and it does ok at high settings.

Champion of Telara

yea, there's nothing quite like unknowingly riding into a zerg and ...loading....loading....loading...'you are dead'
    Smidge
    Wolfsbane

Ascendant

It is possible.

As long as you stay at the respawn point and dont move.
    Last edited by Wrastion; 06-07-2014 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taledra View Post
    Did conquest today for the first time on my cleric, it was awful. My team was actually decent in that nobody was yelling, swearing, or being otherwise unpleasant. But...I can't really participate. Every 5-10 sec, game was going back to load screen and would get stuck at 95% for a few sec. I died several times because of this. Running was choppy, I would move a few steps, load screen, and back to where I was before I started running. If I hit a skill with a cast time, say soul drain, it took 5-6 seconds to cast, during which time it would return to the load screen.

My game settings are already as low as they can go. Are there any settings I can adjust on my laptop to make conquest even possible? A new computer isn't really in the cards right now.
    The problem with a laptop is often the cpu clock speed is holding you back. It has been talked a lot in the past that rift only utilizes a single thread and doesn't have much multi-thread support. A regular laptop (even i7) unless it is high end for its generation, is not designed for any serious gaming. There are limited things you can do to try to to improve performance for your hardware. For example, I believe a mobile cpu can't be overclocked unless it is especially designed to do so. Conquest is especially demanding using a lot of your system resources.

The only possible changes you could do would be a hard drive and memory for your current system. A ssd hard drive is a good investment for faster loading times, which is all about you can change in terms of hardware, in a laptop besides the main memory. Graphics cards I'm not to sure, although I'm pretty sure if you have a decent gaming card it should handle the game in high settings, without any problems considering this game was released in 2011.

Laptops shouldn't be underrated, especially if the machine is specially designed for gaming. The latest mobile graphics cpu is the 4940mx @3.1ghz-turbo to 4ghz and can be overclocked to 4.4ghz+. Even the latest nividia 880m mobile graphics card is insane, dual cards have a total 16gb worth of dedicated memory. I would like to mention, laptops cost a lot more especially compared to computers especially if you want to get similar performance. To get that sort of performance in a compact space will cost a pretty penny.

A gaming pc should has a good balance between all its hardware. For instance, there is no use having a powerful graphics card if your cpu or ram is holding you back.

Back to your question, you could still try to get the most out of your system by trying a few tweaks in the .cfg file located in your rift folder. You can also try to use programs such as razer game booster, and turning off features on your pc such as windows aero. There may be a slight increase of fps in the game if you're lucky.
    I am the meister of my body and soul.
    Euphoria is my virtue, and sense is my imagination.
    I have collapsed over a thousand times.
    Neither aware of restrain... nor known to be sane.
    I have no regrets, this is the only path.

Quote Originally Posted by Caeus View Post

Yeah, same one I've been using for almost a year now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast