+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Endgame PvP

  1. #1
    Plane Touched Hieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    211

    Default Endgame PvP

    Hello, I'm curious what endgame PvP in Rift is like? Currently I haven't been enjoying Warfronts too much thus far on my 28 Warrior, but things've been pretty good on my 38 pyromancer (seems pretty OP, I can literally take about 50% of someone's health with a single spellcast).

    With my Warrior I find it's a huge struggle to stay on target since there isn't much in the way of snares and I don't really have much defences to deal with the fact that I have to get up-close and personal rather than attacking from afar with my Pyromancer... I seem to die just as fast on both characters so the extra armour doesn't seem to do much on my War, and find my damage to be rather subpar (I've played around with Warlord and Champion specs). Basically seems like I get spanked by ranged classes since they have equal or better damage output while being able to attack from a distance, or in the case of rogues while moving and at a distance. Also it seems like healers are really powerful, I've only got like one ability to interrupt a spellcast and they can immediately start casting again... takes me 15-20 seconds to drop someone from 100% to 0%, but only takes them like 2 seconds to heal to full :/

    It seems at this level the only viable Warrior spec is Tempest which has higher damage output than any other War spec from what I can tell, and it can attack at range

    Just wondering if at max level these issues all work themselves out or warriors get more control and can better stay on target and have damage output/utilities to match their disadvantage of having to be in melee range.

  2. #2
    Champion of Telara Aveleys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,191

    Default

    It's pretty fun, definitely more balanced than low level pvp. Tbh low level pvp usually sucks in any game since the majority of people have no idea what they are doing (new to the game or new to their class) it's impossible to balance since you can't plan on who will be doing what if you're a dev.

    Contrary to what the forums will tell you, it's a pretty balanced game, since all 4 classes have very good pvp souls. The souls themselves are not at all balanced (such as riftstalker is awful in pvp but nightblade is amazing) but you can't pick a class and have no place in a group compared to other games...unless of course you suck in which case I'd direct you to make a thread in the class balance section.

  3. #3
    Plane Touched Hieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Ahhh, okay. I look forward to it. Is Warlord spec any good for PVP? It's by far my favourite, I like the idea of a hybrid between tank and damage and it seems to embody what I would expect a Warrior to be =) only problem is at low levels it isn't very tanky and its damage sucks, so it fails at both hahah

    [vent] I wish more games would make at least a moderate attempt to keep spells relatively balanced at low levels... the only game I've ever played that had decent(ish) low level PvP balance was WoW prior to the introduction of heirlooms and removal of spell ranks. Was disappointed with Wildstar in that aspect too... all the talk about being able to focus on skill by everyone having their stats scaled to the same. Nope... invincible healers and melee dps pretty much useless next to completely mobile and high damage ranged classes. [/vent]

  4. #4
    Champion of Telara Aveleys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hieb View Post
    Ahhh, okay. I look forward to it. Is Warlord spec any good for PVP? It's by far my favourite, I like the idea of a hybrid between tank and damage and it seems to embody what I would expect a Warrior to be =) only problem is at low levels it isn't very tanky and its damage sucks, so it fails at both hahah

    [vent] I wish more games would make at least a moderate attempt to keep spells relatively balanced at low levels... the only game I've ever played that had decent(ish) low level PvP balance was WoW prior to the introduction of heirlooms and removal of spell ranks. Was disappointed with Wildstar in that aspect too... all the talk about being able to focus on skill by everyone having their stats scaled to the same. Nope... invincible healers and melee dps pretty much useless next to completely mobile and high damage ranged classes. [/vent]
    Warlord is strong. Doesn't have the burst to deal with good heals without more added dps, but still a solid spec.

    Melee dominates from level 50+.

  5. #5
    Ascendant Ianto Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,018

    Default

    It's what you make of it. It's a good game to play casually. Your level of rage is directly proportional to how many ****s you give about the game. If you don't mind pay-to-win gear progression, mindless zerging in Conquest premades, and a terrible WF matchmaking system that often forces you to either join a 5-man premade or get rolled by one, the soul system is quite fun.

    On the other hand,

    Quote Originally Posted by Hieb View Post
    Is Warlord spec any good for PVP?
    yes, quite.

    I am confused by this, though. You say you don't have a snare, but Warlord gets a snare at 8 points. At any rate, all the problems you're having with ranged classes disappear at level 60. Melee -- Rogues and Warriors especially -- have most of the advantages.
    Last edited by Ianto Jones; 05-23-2014 at 09:45 PM.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched Hieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    It's what you make of it. It's a good game to play casually. Your level of rage is directly proportional to how many ****s you give about the game. If you don't mind pay-to-win gear progression, mindless zerging in Conquest premades, and a terrible WF matchmaking system that often forces you to either join a 5-man premade or get rolled by one, the soul system is quite fun.

    On the other hand,



    yes, quite.

    I am confused by this, though. You say you don't have a snare, but Warlord gets a snare at 8 points. At any rate, all the problems you're having with ranged classes disappear at level 60. Melee -- Rogues and Warriors especially -- have most of the advantages.
    The snare is relatively weak, it doesn't say on the tooltip how much it is but it doesn't do much to help stay on target. I'm sure I could do a better job of timing my charges & sergeant's order, but the snare certainly doesn't do very much. Doesn't help that it has a 10 second cooldown and due to the lack of hit rating on gear at this level misses quite frequently :P

    I think part of the problem too is I'm still used to classic WoW PvP, where casters & archers are pretty well boned up close, whereas these days it seems standard in MMOs that even up close ranged dps can still unleash pain on you. Perhaps I just need more time to adapt to the dynamic of everybody is on the move all the time, and there are no "deadzones" for rdps. Regardless, sounds like there is hope for endgame PvP so I'll stick it out... just do some instant adventures to level up or something, Warfronts at this level are gonna drive me nuts heh

    Thanks for the response
    Last edited by Hieb; 05-23-2014 at 09:53 PM.

  7. #7
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,840

    Default

    End game pvp is usually pretty long due to cross-healing and BIS gear. You can sometimes find a pvp stream from lvl60 players on: http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Rift
    PvP in RIFT is good only @forum.

  8. #8
    Ascendant Appendy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hieb View Post
    Hello, I'm curious what endgame PvP in Rift is like?
    This is it. Forum PvP is endgame PvP. Welcome to thread... infraction awaits you.






    Actually warriors do rather well after 60. I image you will start unleashing the pain in the lvl 50 bracket.

  9. #9
    Champion Flair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    511

    Default

    My advice for PvP at endgame? Think less, react more.
    If you have to ask...you don't need to know.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts