+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: So the point of a mage in warfronts is?... ??

Telaran

Default So the point of a mage in warfronts is?... ??

Other than to feed the egos of rogues and warriors ...

Rogues Warriors and Clerics can heal better.

Rogues and Warriors do 2x the damage with 1/2 the squishy.

Outside of Dominator there is really no mage soul that has any more utility, damage or healing than anyone else, and if you go Dom you better have a pocket healer or gimp yourself with chloro cause the rogues and warriors will focus you into the dirt.

Also since neither the new rogue healing soul nor the warrior one seem to be affected all that much if at all from energy drain Dom isn't all that great anymore anyhow.

Discuss...
    I am BABEZILLA you are JAPAN!!!

Vilerogue - A Vile and quite mediocre rogue!!!

... the happily mediocre mage, rogue warrior and cleric

Quote Originally Posted by TheZilla View Post

Outside of Dominator there is really no mage soul that has any more utility, damage or healing than anyone else, and if you go Dom you better have a pocket healer or gimp yourself with chloro cause the rogues and warriors will focus you into the dirt.

Also since neither the new rogue healing soul nor the warrior one seem to be affected all that much if at all from energy drain Dom isn't all that great anymore anyhow.

Discuss...
    Do I doubt you have it hard? Not at all. (My first PvP class was mage.--It hasn't changed since then--it is hard to excel.)

Do you know what you have to realize?

We all (in our own way) have to see it isn't easy.

Can you rise above?
    If you have to ask...you don't need to know.

Rift Master

Just another calling to play. Mages don't DPS, control, heal, or escape any better than any other classes. That being said, I still feel there is a place for dominator in PVP. With debilitate and silence being merged or whatever, priests lament and arresting presence can screw with any healer. The mana drains on dom drain energy, and if you have all your cds, you can stack with it reduced energy regen. It's not a huge save, but it may buy you a few seconds.

Honestly though, on my 43 mage, most useful build I have is heavy harb, light chloro, and a few points in ele. I can't keep melee at range anyway. Having the close range slashes proc Eld, and using that with vile spores if I need heals or burst from ele for dps is pretty effective. Also, when in melee range with a group, you can dot up 3 people around you with withering, and one with radiant spores, which also helps you and nearby teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by Taledra View Post
    Just another calling to play. Mages don't DPS, control, heal, or escape any better than any other classes. That being said, I still feel there is a place for dominator in PVP. With debilitate and silence being merged or whatever, priests lament and arresting presence can screw with any healer. The mana drains on dom drain energy, and if you have all your cds, you can stack with it reduced energy regen. It's not a huge save, but it may buy you a few seconds.

Honestly though, on my 43 mage, most useful build I have is heavy harb, light chloro, and a few points in ele. I can't keep melee at range anyway. Having the close range slashes proc Eld, and using that with vile spores if I need heals or burst from ele for dps is pretty effective. Also, when in melee range with a group, you can dot up 3 people around you with withering, and one with radiant spores, which also helps you and nearby teammates.
    You seem to agree dominator or pyro (craftily or healer backed) or go home!
    If you have to ask...you don't need to know.

Discuss...
    you forgot pyrochon purgebot. but yes as time goes on being a mage gets less and less fun.

I just leveled a mage to 60, dom is exceptionally good.

Rift Chaser

to all the QQers, Trion/Glyph already telling u all... STOP PLAYING THOSE CLASSES, PLAY ROGUE! Look at all the buff, nerf, removing of certain spells which are disadvantage to rogue. Why still bother to post on this Forum when u know the DEVS don't even bother to do something about it. So, Stop ur QQ, go play Rogue.

Plane Touched

Discuss...
    I think there may be room to look at improving mages, but i definitely think mages are very viable in pvp. Pyro has some nasty burst if lined up well (see meduza's latest vid as an example to 32k hitting almost all at the same time or talk to reismmy who absolutely destroy people with it) . 61 necro / lock or 44/32necrolock still does extremely well in group settings (lastgasp+nadra torture is a nasty combo). i think 61 chloro needs abit of tunning up (for example make living shell usefull - lower cd / higher absorb, or dmg reduction cd. a second breakfree would be nice without needing to spec into pyro and make bloom inline with urgent care from physician).

pyrochon and mainly dom are probably the game changers though. no other class can turn a match around like what a good dom or pyrochon can. Dom imo is the most fun spec to play by far (and I play a rogue and war too)

Buff chloros.
    Sheona/Faynee <VANEN> , <Apotheosys>

Guess I am lacking first hand but...

Does Necro still do what it used to? I know screamo could make necro do some proper hitting to make it worth its weight.

Dom is untouched in Rift. A well played one is priceless.

Since the inception of Rift I have always dabbled with my Mage, unfortunately never got to give it a run at 60. But I have never not utterly destroyed things with pyro over the years. And from what I see now from the patch notes and some good players, it looks like in the right hands a pyro can pack a Zangief punch.

Chloro compliments a group with some healers present and no other chloros. I used to be pocked healed by one, they seem 50/50 with ST healing and aoe healing. Or maybe that their best healing is just limited to picking 1 target at a time. Don't listen to the banter that says never use AoE heals. Don't use AoE heals as a front line force of protection and expect it to hold anyone up against strong firepower. However, if that role is locked in, AoE healing is sometimes just what the doctor ordered.

Harb can smack people up when played right.

What does that leave, Stormcaller, Ele, Arch and Lock? Stormcaller seems to suffer Saboteur syndrome. The potential is there, but, the mechanics and execution is just sloppy for PvP. The rest I have virtually 0 knowledge of.

Gave it my best shot. Right now Rogue seems like king because of versatility for PvP and happening to be the calling among Rogues/Wars that got the ST heal soul. Our (rogues) only weakness is ranged atm, MM has wonderful utility but I think in terms of raw damage, well played ranged souls in other callings can beat up the Rogue ones. But Rogue melee is at a high point. I don't like comparing things to clerics since they are the only ones who specialize in healing and sort of stand on their own. Just happen to have viable DPS souls like the rest of us and some funky new thing that reads like a Bard.

Mages seem like Warriors. They have some good options, but the truly sweet options seem limited. Whereas Rogue and Cleric I think have a lot of sweet options right now. In a game sort of premised of providing a highly versatile toon, possibly more versatile than any other MMO has offered, I think Rogue and Cleric are hitting that goal the best *in terms of PvP*. I think Mages and Warriors can rock it pretty hard and carry some nice tricks up their sleeve, but their options are far fewer than Clerics and Rogues.

Just my 2c.

What do I hope for? That they find a way to make pet classes suck less in PvP. I know if that went underway that would hit a couple mage DPS souls. When I think of mage DPS I just think Pyro. When I think of Rogue DPS I think...jeez, tons of specs.
    Last edited by Violacea; 05-22-2014 at 07:15 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by polarshift View Post
    to all the QQers, Trion/Glyph already telling u all... STOP PLAYING THOSE CLASSES, PLAY ROGUE! Look at all the buff, nerf, removing of certain spells which are disadvantage to rogue. Why still bother to post on this Forum when u know the DEVS don't even bother to do something about it. So, Stop ur QQ, go play Rogue.
    Meanwhile, raids everywhere cry because all the chloromancers are playing rogues.

Soulwalker

pyro 61 is still legit

Roll 61 necro > /tar strongest dps/heal > dot dot debuff > lich+pets spawn> /rofl.
    Undeadwarrior & Zoarbot @Deepwood.
    Believe it or not Rift has an unofficial Facebook PvP alliance group .~All are welcome~

Quote Originally Posted by polarshift View Post
    I'm YnRapBag (The Little Rogue), and I approve this message.

Let's leave all this balance and class warfare behind us. Become one with the rogues.

Let Elrar know you care @

https://twitter.com/GiantApproved

Quote Originally Posted by Taledra View Post
    Meanwhile, raids everywhere cry because all the chloromancers are playing rogues.
    There would be no class blame, we are One with Rogue.

Rift is Rogues/Rogues are Rift

Go ahead and repeat after me...
    Let Elrar know you care @

https://twitter.com/GiantApproved

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast