+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Raistlinxx
  • 1 Post By Tookmyjob

Thread: 61 Para - PvP Guide

Default 61 Para - PvP Guide

Hey guys. Ive had a few people ask me about the spec so ima throw something together real quick to help some warriors out.

First here's my
    UI / Key-binds

http://i.imgur.com/Bz0vbgW.jpg

The Build

http://imgur.com/phebosj

Macros
    :

Hit -
    #show Setting Moon
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Shield of Will
    cast Backhand
    cast Death Touch
    cast Tranquility
    cast Final Blessing
    cast Open the Stream
    cast Setting Moon
    cast Into the Breach
    cast Thread the Trees
    cast Shock Pulse

Finish-
    #show Reaping Harvest
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Shifting Blades
    cast Reaping Harvest

Headshot -
    *This macro can be used if your lazy, i prefer to keybind these abilities to my mouse buttons.
    #show Alacrity
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Combat Focus
    cast Alacrity
    cast Reaping Harvest
    cast Tranquility

Buffs to use
    :

Way of the Wind
    Turn the Blade
    Defensive Posture
    Way of the Mountain
    Enhanced Conductivity
    Focus of Body

Now that the basics are out of the way here's how to play it.

Keybinds
    If you looked at the UI picture you can see we have a few skills that need keybound other than just our macros.
    The following skills must be bound independently.

1 - Sergeants Orders - 20M pull. Self explanatory.

2 - Fleet of Foot - Awesome mobility boost. I save this for when an enemy is immune to our snare or when i have to make an exit from combat.

3 - Wrist Strike - 5 second Debilitate. Paired with Predictable Movements and the headshot macro (or skills inside of it if you dont want to use the macro) this is what allows us to down healers.

4 - Predictable Movements - 4 Second stun. *see above

5- Eye of the storm. 10 second snare- Essential for staying on target. I keep this bind very easy to use and remember. Its on my middle mouse button.

6- Flurry - Ranged channeled damage - This allows you to trick bad healers, ill start flurry on a target from range, usually drawing heals towards that guy, then turn and burst a guy close to him down. Flurry is more of a distraction than any useful damage.

7- Flinching Strike - Interupt - Self explanatory.

8- Grasping the Horizon - adds 20M range for 15 seconds on a 30 sec cooldown - Esentialy allows us to be a mid range fighter half of the time. Very usefull to finish off over extenders running back to their team.

Tips and Tricks

1.) Killing healed targets / healers.
    This build does steady damage with an insane burst with Alacrity and Shifting Blades Up. I would suggest saving your Headshot macro or the skills in it for when you have the target around 50-60% health.

Once they are around half health i like to pop writs strike, followed by Combat Focus + Alacrity and land the first double finisher ( works best with shifting blades pre-loaded). Then 2 attacks will bring you back to 3 swords (attack points - whatever), follow with Predictable Movements to stun and fire off your second double finisher. Unless someone pops ugly or one of the other full heals on your target your almost guaranteed a kill.

2.) Snare / Target Sawpping

Your snare is on a 10 second cool-down which also means your able to effectively switch targets every 10 seconds. This should be the first thing you apply to any target you intend to kill or harass.
    # - Also keep death touch cool-down visible, even though its macroed in. It applies a snare when used allowing you to save some time instead of applying Eye of The storm on that target.
    # 2 - If for some reason your target is immune to your snare (which is actually quite often) Fleet of foot is your backup for staying on target. It can take some practice to control though, you may find yourself running too fast to stay on target at times.

3.) Positioning Is Everything

Fully Myr geared with a feast , dream orbs, and runes on everything + (around 800 PA) im siting at around 32k health.
    This is more than enough if you position yourself correctly.
    # -You have to know that your not going to beat an equal geared / skilled ( Sin / NB/ Warlord / Inq/ Dom / Sentinel / or Physician) head on. All of these classes will beat you if you stray away from your teammates.
    # 2- You are not a Warlord, you cannot just charge into a pack anymore and expect to survive. We get our kills on the sides of the pack and by pulling healers where we want them to be.
    # 3- Save yourself over getting the kill. Im guilty of tunneling some people when im pissed (usually doms) But remeber you have fleet of foot to get you out when things are looking bad.
    # 4 - Learn to LOS, once you learn to use the terain to your advantage youll take 1/3 less damage at least. Range is your enemy in this spec, make them come to you.

4.)Keep hitting buttons

This should be self explanatory but i feel like some people just dont follow this. If enemies are around you should always be doing something. The only exception is if a dom has MB or TI on you.
    Overall this spec will take some time to learn and master. Practice and youll get better.
    Any questions feel free to drop them here.

Ascendant

Open the Stream shouldn't be in a macro. It is primarily a DoT that should only be used when it is not currently on the target. Rising Waterfall is the followup attack that can be spammed.

I don't see Guard on your bars?

The charge abilities should also be on a separate bind. What happens if you want to cast Shock Pulse, but not close with the target? The tempest finisher can also be handy and I'd recommend binding it.

Tranquility and Death Touch should also be removed from the macro as they hit quite hard and have situational uses. These abilities will increase your burst significantly during an Alacrity CD, so it is useful to have them available.

With just a few changes/extra binds you could do much more. A good guide though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tookmyjob View Post
    Open the Stream shouldn't be in a macro. It is primarily a DoT that should only be used when it is not currently on the target. Rising Waterfall is the followup attack that can be spammed.

The charge abilities should also be on a separate bind. What happens if you want to cast Shock Pulse, but not close with the target? The tempest finisher can also be handy and I'd recommend binding it.

Tranquility and Death Touch should also be removed from the macro as they hit quite hard and have situational uses. These abilities will increase your burst significantly during an Alacrity CD, so it is useful to have them available.

With just a few changes/extra binds you could do much more. A good guide though.
    good chance he also plays WL with one smash macro that doesn't take advantage of king of the hill and decisive strike during battlefield experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tookmyjob View Post

Few good points. I'll go ahead and explain a bit of why I do what I do.
    From duel testing rising waterfall only hits 200-300 damage higher than the initial and first tick of open the stream, I see that as a negligible diffrence in pug Warfronts so I simplified it to what it is to always keep the dot ticking instead of havin to switch it in or out. You can test it pretty easy on anyone in a full valor set.

As for guard: I'll solo que 99% of the time. I never go in with pockets and don't expect them. That's another way of saying I play selfish. I don't waste my HP guarding pugs and wouldn't expect them to do it either. The more self Sufi ent you can be solo queuing the better off you are.

For my charges in the spam macro, charges damage are greater than shock pulse in this spec. And being primarily a melee spec I keep them there to be used on cooldown to keep maximum uptime on my targets. Shock pulse is a last resort when both charges are down, their immune to my pull, fleet of foot is down, their immune to eye and deaths touch is down. It's used very rarely.

For tranquil and deaths touch I've played around with them in and out of the macro
    I keep them in now evacuee I found that when I have them out, I personally obsessed over the perfect use and timing of those 2 skills. Which leads to me barely using them at all.
    In the macro their fired on cooldown meaning their not used at the perfect moment but it's still an overall damage increase.

For skyfall you need to go 2 points into tempest, with this build I I 15 wl so it's not avalivle
    Hope that clears up some of the guide for you

i almost never play paragon, and tend towards mindless spam macros

but how effective is that open the stream dot?
    stormhak stormbar stormkvinde kagestorm stormelver

your action bars are hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Rahak View Post
    i almost never play paragon, and tend towards mindless spam macros

but how effective is that open the stream dot?
    With my gear level it ticks between 500-800 a tick. And the original hit is usually around 1.2k + an instant first tick. That's on geared players though. On under gear it's a good bit higher.

Nice Guide!

Do you keep Turn the Blade on the whole time or toggle it on and off?
    Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
    Nice Guide!

Do you keep Turn the Blade on the whole time or toggle it on and off?
    Keep it up. The only time you don't want turn on is if your playing a hybrid of para.
    For 61 it's much better to keep it up.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlinxx View Post
    Few good points. I'll go ahead and explain a bit of why I do what I do.
    From duel testing rising waterfall only hits 200-300 damage higher than the initial and first tick of open the stream, I see that as a negligible diffrence in pug Warfronts so I simplified it to what it is to always keep the dot ticking instead of havin to switch it in or out. You can test it pretty easy on anyone in a full valor set.

As for guard: I'll solo que 99% of the time. I never go in with pockets and don't expect them. That's another way of saying I play selfish. I don't waste my HP guarding pugs and wouldn't expect them to do it either. The more self Sufi ent you can be solo queuing the better off you are.

For my charges in the spam macro, charges damage are greater than shock pulse in this spec. And being primarily a melee spec I keep them there to be used on cooldown to keep maximum uptime on my targets. Shock pulse is a last resort when both charges are down, their immune to my pull, fleet of foot is down, their immune to eye and deaths touch is down. It's used very rarely.

For tranquil and deaths touch I've played around with them in and out of the macro
    I keep them in now evacuee I found that when I have them out, I personally obsessed over the perfect use and timing of those 2 skills. Which leads to me barely using them at all.
    In the macro their fired on cooldown meaning their not used at the perfect moment but it's still an overall damage increase.

For skyfall you need to go 2 points into tempest, with this build I I 15 wl so it's not avalivle
    Hope that clears up some of the guide for you
    Just add one extra macro then and it will make a world of difference.

#show Open the Stream
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Open the Stream
    cast Setting Moon

Call it your 'buff macro' and apply it on everyone you open on that isn't likely to die within a few seconds.

Setting Moon increases the damage of all followup attacks by 25%, which absolutely must be maintained at all times. Your macro causes you to lose this buff on up to four followup attacks; considering that every second builder is a followup attack, this makes a big difference.

The difference of 200-300 damage between Open the Stream and Rising Waterfall that you quoted (I haven't checked it) is also significant enough to warrant using it. I would argue that the difference is greater than this and is more like 20-25% extra on the initial hit. When you factor in CP, which is very beneficial for Paragon, the use of RW over OtS becomes greater.

Macros can be good, but such lengthy macros lead to large handicaps.
    Last edited by Tookmyjob; 05-21-2014 at 04:53 AM.

Two more questions:

Do you time Shifting Blades to coincide with specific attacks like tranquility or whatever is next in the macro?

Also, since RW isn't in your macro and OtS doesn't hit twice during Alacrity, do you think having two versions of that macro would be beneficial, one with RW and one with OtS? I like how you're spreading a powerful dot around in your macro; I'm just trying to figure out how best to take full advantage of the 10 seconds of Alacrity.

Thanks
    Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
    Two more questions:

Do you time Shifting Blades to coincide with specific attacks like tranquility or whatever is next in the macro?

Also, since RW isn't in your macro and OtS doesn't hit twice during Alacrity, do you think having two versions of that macro would be beneficial, one with RW and one with OtS? I like how you're spreading a powerful dot around in your macro; I'm just trying to figure out how best to take full advantage of the 10 seconds of Alacrity.

Thanks
    Honestly Alclarity only really kills well when you have shifting blades up and land either a double reaping strike or final blessing. Thats why i dont pop Alc untill the enemy is around 50-60%. Waterfall is actually realy underwhelming compared to open the stream so i dont even use it.

And for shifting blades i keep it in my macro to keep uptime on it ( if you try to time it perfect youll end up useing it less than you would in a macro which is a dps loss), i also keep it on a keybind by itself though. If its off Cooldown ill pop combat focus , into shifting blades, then go into Alc for better killing power. So shifting is run both by my finish macro and it also has its on key.

+ Reply to Thread