+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 58
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Do you think game would be more challenging without macros?

  1. #1
    Plane Touched RainDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    224

    Default Do you think game would be more challenging without macros?

    I've noticed a trend in mmo's the last five years in minimizing hot keys and introducing macros to various games. Do you think these games are just dumbing down or making it possible for people with less fingers to be skilled in these games?

  2. #2
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Yes, of course
    Luxie@greybriar
    Healmesloots@deepwood

  3. #3
    Ascendant ecru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    yes and no. some specs would have to be reworked, like sab, due to the monotony of the rotation and how annoying it would be to go through it without a macro.

    i didn't use any macros for sin for quite awhile after i hit 60, i wasn't even quite sure how to use them, but i do think building macros for your own play style and how you like to order abilities is still something of a "skill". i use all my own macros and rotations with every spec (including sab) rather than what people post in guides or in other places on the forums.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

  4. #4
    Plane Touched RainDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post
    yes and no. some specs would have to be reworked, like sab, due to the monotony of the rotation and how annoying it would be to go through it without a macro.

    i didn't use any macros for sin for quite awhile after i hit 60, i wasn't even quite sure how to use them, but i do think building macros for your own play style and how you like to order abilities is still something of a "skill". i use all my own macros and rotations with every spec (including sab) rather than what people post in guides or in other places on the forums.
    Yeah i see your point. I know you play one of the best shammy's in game and those do not work well with macros I'm told? I'm curious why games put so many different skills in game and then you can hot key it down to like 5 abilities....why not just go with 5 abilities if they are going to allow macros anyway?

    Macros are going to put those fancy 30 button mouse controls out of business.
    Last edited by RainDogs; 05-18-2014 at 01:39 PM.

  5. #5
    General of Telara littlepoit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    965

    Default

    without macros warriors and rogues would be spamming the same attack over and over again, not even sure you'd see a finisher.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched RainDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by littlepoit View Post
    without macros warriors and rogues would be spamming the same attack over and over again, not even sure you'd see a finisher.
    You could probably play a warrior well with one freaking button....just pound your head against it over and over....someone make a video.

  7. #7
    General of Telara littlepoit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RainDogs View Post
    You could probably play a warrior well with one freaking button....just pound your head against it over and over....someone make a video.
    I do it everyday but technically you need at least 2 buttons to win.
    button 1 : spam macro
    button 2 : /y lolsobad
    Last edited by littlepoit; 05-18-2014 at 01:48 PM.

  8. #8
    Sword of Telara SWGMOD010's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RainDogs View Post
    You could probably play a warrior well with one freaking button....just pound your head against it over and over....someone make a video.
    It'd actually be pretty interesting to see how much you could do with just builders
    Last edited by SWGMOD010; 05-18-2014 at 01:57 PM.

    Also, Stormzill
    STORMSTORMSTORMSTORMSTORMSTORMSTORMSTORMSTORM

  9. #9
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by littlepoit View Post
    without macros warriors and rogues would be spamming the same attack over and over again, not even sure you'd see a finisher.
    Don't need finishers when you have specs like Wl and Sin lol.
    Luxie@greybriar
    Healmesloots@deepwood

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    199

    Default

    imagine all the pve cry babies not able to use the yell battle rez macro . Would probably cause another tsunami to hit Japan again with all the tears.
    Last edited by Grumpypants; 05-18-2014 at 02:11 PM.

  11. #11
    Plane Touched RainDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SWGMOD010 View Post
    It'd actually be pretty interesting to see how much you could do with just builders
    you mean we have finishers?!

  12. #12
    Plane Touched RainDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpypants View Post
    imagine all the pve cry babies not able to use the yell battle rez macro . Would probably cause another tsunami to hit Japan again with all the tears.
    Are you trying to get my thread locked...no mention of natural disasters in this forum. What is the unofficial rift forum that is less moderated btw?

  13. #13
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RainDogs View Post
    I've noticed a trend in mmo's the last five years in minimizing hot keys and introducing macros to various games. Do you think these games are just dumbing down or making it possible for people with less fingers to be skilled in these games?
    Having macros does not dumb down the game at all. If you really used the game to its full potential you would have at least 3 roles of talents and a fouth role for buffs and possibly a fifth for consumables. That is pretty much how many I use in every one of my specs.

    The thing that is really dumbing down games is the tab target system and the fact that damage from range doesn't take the penalty for being at max range. Damage should scale based on positioning and range. If that was the case melee wouldn't have to deal top dps over range and melee may actually become viable in zerg fights because the range would be forced to deal less damage at max range making it easier for melee to survive focus damage and get into the melee combat.

    The only reason why melee works in warfronts is because you can't really kite forever like you can do in places like open world and cq.
    Last edited by Planetx; 05-18-2014 at 02:27 PM.

  14. #14
    Plane Touched RainDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Planetx View Post
    Having macros does not dumb down the game at all. If you really used the game to its full potential you would have at least 3 roles of talents and a fouth role for buffs and possibly a fifth for consumables. That is pretty much how many I use in every one of my specs.

    The thing that is really dumbing down games is the tab target system and the fact that damage from range doesn't take the penalty for being at max range. Damage should scale based on positioning and range. If that was the case melee wouldn't have to deal top dps over range and melee may actually become viable in zerg fights because the range would be forced to deal less damage at max range making it easier for melee to survive focus damage and get into the melee combat.

    The only reason why melee works in warfronts is because you can't really kite forever like you can do in places like open world and cq.
    Are any other games doing this? I guess they see gap closers and squish factor the equalizer to range. Range doesn't seem to hit as hard in this game compared to others though.

  15. #15
    Ascendant SprawlnBrawl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,349

    Default

    it wouldn't really do much. the skill gap is already separated by basic gaming principles. removing macros would have no affect on good players and make it harder for the average and bad players, thus just making pvp worse. even wow is going to have a major cutback on ability bloat with the expac
    Last edited by SprawlnBrawl; 05-18-2014 at 02:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts