+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: PvP is so good upto lvl 59...

Shadowlander

Default PvP is so good upto lvl 59...

The PvP in this game is so good and really fun upto lvl 59. Then what happened in the 60 bracket? It feels like I'm playing a completely different game.

welcome to Rift, may i take your order.

Telaran

Prestige happened, unfortunately. It's a huge turn off to new players. Once you get to r70, so when you get Warlord's armor, the field seems a lot more level, but before that, you just get crushed. Even then, it's not necessarily even. As you rank up, it feels more and more even, and then when you hit r90, you get to have the feeling of stomping new players and being able to compete on a level playing field with others.

Shadowlander

I don't even mean that.

I still have fairly good individual performance at 60 even with bolstered gear. But, what I mean is I haven't had a single close game ever since I hit 60. It's is always one team stomping the other team with the other team having less than 100 points on the scoreboard. It's not fun even if I'm winning because it is just such a faceroll. When you are losing it's just frustrating because even if you get in top 3 damage you still have like 2~3 killing blows.

Such heals, very wow.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Gyeff View Post
    I don't even mean that.

I still have fairly good individual performance at 60 even with bolstered gear. But, what I mean is I haven't had a single close game ever since I hit 60. It's is always one team stomping the other team with the other team having less than 100 points on the scoreboard. It's not fun even if I'm winning because it is just such a faceroll. When you are losing it's just frustrating because even if you get in top 3 damage you still have like 2~3 killing blows.

Such heals, very wow.
    Well, some of that is just bad luck...

Also, given that it's right after warriors and rogues gained healing souls, you should expect more healers right now, and some of the better dps warriors and rogues are healing right now.

Anyway, even with a lot of healers, if the dpsers on the teams are good, people still die. If your team focuses, you can still burn down healers like you always have been able to.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Well, some of that is just bad luck...
    That is one of the few things in Rift that's not about luck. What the OP describes is what the matchmaking system is designed to do: **** you over for succeeding.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    That is one of the few things in Rift that's not about luck. What the OP describes is what the matchmaking system is designed to do: **** you over for succeeding.
    Yeah, sometimes the matchmaking is horrible and sometimes it's incredibly fair.

Plane Touched

The PvP in this game is so good and really fun upto lvl 59. Then what happened in the 60 bracket? It feels like I'm playing a completely different game.
    Grindy grind grind grindedly grind ground grindingly grindidity grind grind grind then RRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG. Also, Premades.

Have fun with all of that while I reroll that char right after hitting 60. It's a way better PvP experience.

Ascendant

lock boxes happened
    PvP in RIFT is good only @forum.

Default Hope this helps

Like the others have suggested, gear & rank may change your perspective on level 60 pvp later. Try considering the following during your transition phase:

A. Every warfront has objectives. It still cracks me up when an obviously dominating team has been whipped into such a frenzy that they totally ignore the current objective. Even if you lack the gear & gameplay experience others may have at the moment, you can still save the day by running that last stone into your base.

B. Try to fit into the raid composition. This one can be tough, especially if you haven't mastered multiple specs to be comfortable with or feel pressure from your team to play a certain role that you feel is inappropriate for the current match. And sometimes you may just feel like playing whatever spec you had your mind set on when you queued. The ability to determine the best effective pvp raid composition comes with experience and a certain degree of luck- who knows if the elf standing next to you is worth healing until you see him in action? It can be frustrating to relegate yourself to a support role when you feel that you're better geared and/or prepared than some of those in dps roles and they seem unwilling to budge from their choice- and that will happen from time to time. Be patient & learn from your mistakes & the mistakes from those around you- don't just fume about them.

C. Start with ranged specs & develop awareness. You initially rolled a warrior & envision yourself charging into the fray with sword in hand, huh? This can be VERY disheartening unless it is the right place at the right time. The majority of souls in Rift operate around a ranged dynamic, and this seems most prevalent in pvp- mostly due to the fact that it makes party cohesiveness easier, line of sight issues are easier to navigate, and quite simply- clerics & mages only have a couple of melee options anyways. So either focus on a ranged spec to start with, OR develop your melee spec with a specific objective in sight- peeling for your healer or support, for example. After awhile, melee specs ARE viable- the necessity is knowing when & where to use them.

D. Realize that Rift was developed for PVE. Now don't get me wrong- my favorite Rift activity is engaging in pvp- but don't focus or fret on the issues of "pvp balance" that others may talk about. SO many factors contribute to the current state of pvp at any given time (almost infinite soul combinations, fluctuation and synergy trends from changes initiated by the development staff, etc) combined with the wide variety of players, strategies, and environments generally create an atmosphere of gameplay that will NEVER stagnate. Some players don't like this aspect, yet others delight in the notion that "those who adapt will win". Regardless, this has always been the state of Rift pvp and will most likely stay that way. So be creative, not only in your chosen spec package, but in how you perceive the opposition & whatever task/objective is at hand.

E. The Golden Rule. Most likely this will be a consideration that you see others ignore (or downright abuse) more often than any other. If you have a gameplan or suggestion that may help your team, offer it in a simple & courteous fashion. Insulting others RARELY invites cooperation, and most likely won't make you feel any better about the situation (unless you have deep-rooted insecurities and allow simple matters like videogames upset you). And when you feel annoyed and/or harassed by others- just ignore them- figuratively or literally by applying the in-game "ignore" function. No game or hobby is worth getting upset over, regardless of a player's competitive nature.

I'm glad you posted your concerns about level 60 pvp rather than simply leave it behind. I would like to think you will find it enjoyable in the future simply by adjusting your perspective- and like any other activity in life: if you enjoy it enough to practice it, you WILL get better at it.
    Last edited by Hectyr; 05-10-2014 at 10:24 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Hectyr View Post
    transition phase
    All due respect, and you offer really valid and helpful information, but this is Trion's real problem. Long ago they should have made an effing "reset" and they haven't yet. I can only hope when 3.0 comes that the new gear and crap starts from a new path and not upgraded from the sets that are out now.

For new 60s it's just stupid the amount of grind you have ahead of you. Point being that this "transition phase" is not enjoyable probably to about 90% of the players that begin their journey at level 60 mostly because the queues aren't separate for premades and the match making system doesn't filter people with higher prestige/better gear/more PA. It just turns into a PUG stomp/gear stomp mess so who would enjoy that? If you have some friends or a good/active guild you should join up and make your own PM for WFs but there's not a lot of people left to make your own organization for PM CQ(stay far, far away from CQ anyways) or your own guild.

Attrition is a mother****er and it's the worst enemy of level 60 PvP. If Rift had a higher population and retention rate at 60 then that would theoretically solve all of the issues with it by having enough players for separate queues and match making. However, Trion has failed to innovate when the signs of attrition started showing up and it just got worse from there.

50 bracket is fun because its nobody knows what they are doing except a couple. as a warrior 50s is the dumbest face roll bracket. I imagine as a good rogue or pyro it is equally dumb easy to 2 shot people like warlord

The only real turnoff to sub 60 PVp for me was that you can swipe your card and buy the best set for each bracket straight out. It took a little fun out of it for me, like legacy armor in wow up to lvl 60ish where you can get a PVp set, different concept but same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlinxx View Post
    The only real turnoff to sub 60 PVp for me was that you can swipe your card and buy the best set for each bracket straight out. It took a little fun out of it for me, like legacy armor in wow up to lvl 60ish where you can get a PVp set, different concept but same effect.
    mb its different in lower levels but in 50s bracket i just use daily quest blues and dont notice anyone hitting any harder?

Quote Originally Posted by SprawlnBrawl View Post
    mb its different in lower levels but in 50s bracket i just use daily quest blues and dont notice anyone hitting any harder?
    Yeah the 50,s are all bolstered. 10-49 are where the cash sets rule.
    Last edited by Raistlinxx; 05-11-2014 at 06:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast