+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Handbook/Glossary for Forum Pvp Newcomers

Default Handbook/Glossary for Forum Pvp Newcomers

For those nurturing a budding interest in understanding the catchphrases involved in the esport known as "Forum Pvp" I've outlined the basics for you:

"Pay to Win"- This generally has nothing to do with the publisher or development staff of the game- its simply prompting the notion that you need to invest in a Razer mouse or similar hardware thus enabling proper "pwning of noobs". See also "Multiboxing."

"Your spec is %#**!!"- A reaffirmation that the player isn't familiar with your spec and has no other comment due to insecurity/unfamiliarity and they would NEVER admit that.

"L2P"- Harsh criticism from so-called "hardcore" players that have little to no patience in dealing with casual/newer players (regardless of the fact that this & other games need those to comprise a large playerbase.) Envy these folks, as they obviously have no real obligations in life that hamper their gametime.

"WTBheals"- The desperate plea of an armchair general who tries to console others that they are a mastermind of raid/party composition, although they can never seem to get a pm to queue with them. Also used if you spend any time/attention healing the other 13 players in the warfront when their 22k hp "uber-dps" spec requires your undivided attention.

"OWPVP"- This is the casual offtime on a pvp server when guardians like to surround the port in Granite Falls engaged in pleasant discourse while one-shotting twenty-somethings at will. The pvp portion of this activity is using Slip Away when a rival force/competition arrives.

"FOTM"-
    Once every eight weeks, a Senate subcommittee is formed to delegate what pvp builds will be utilized by fashionable pvp enthusiasts in Rift for the following period. Generally, each FOTM spec is allowed two terms, however Chloroharb & 61 Inquisitor have been "Grandfather-claused" and expect to remain for at least 332 working days.

"Nerf <insert spec>"- Generally, every pvp build has a counter-spec available to those with insight & creativity to find it. Thus, when players are pleased with their favorite calling/spec of choice, they race to determine what counter-spec may exist, and plead for support from the masses to "nerf" said spec before it inhibits their selfish aspirations while engaged in gameplay.

"No Peels = No Heals"- I have NO idea what this means. Those clerics & chloromancers are a finicky bunch- just avoid them, thereby avoiding unnecessary drama.

Certainly there may be some subjects omitted from this guide, but I wished to present it as an introductory foray into the arena known as "forum pvp."

Can the mods please sticky this?

Playing on EU shards I'm truly amazed how engaged players from NA are in PvP/PvP Forums.
    Seeing how PvP is terrible in Rift and is pretty much dead on EU i find it really fascinating to see all the "oh look at my dps/kda, "insert teenage bullcrap here" posts that come up each day...

Makes me laugh everyday

Quote Originally Posted by Hectyr View Post
    F
    "No Peels = No Heals"- I have NO idea what this means. Those clerics & chloromancers are a finicky bunch- just avoid them, thereby avoiding unnecessary drama.
    i think it's something to do with foreskin although i'm not completely sure either

"Nerf <insert spec>"- Generally, every pvp build has a counter-spec available to those with insight & creativity to find it.

"
    One of the best things about Rift imho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

I'm not 100% sure I started that or not but I've been saying it for a few weeks since I've been PVPing again. I have seen several healers macro it either into an ability or whatever to /y No Peels No Heals.

If warriors want to overextend and ask for heals when I'm getting cc'd/stunned/silenced by the other team and can't move to heal said warrior, then this would apply.

Good list, Hectyr, made me laugh!
    Nurse on Faeblight ~ GL of Philanthropy
    www.philanthropy-community.com
    Quote Originally Posted by MickNico View Post
    CQ needs a enema.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaramuccia View Post
    Don't worry, I'm just trying out my new forum PvP macro. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Meaghanne View Post
    I'm not 100% sure I started that or not but I've been saying it for a few weeks since I've been PVPing again. I have seen several healers macro it either into an ability or whatever to /y No Peels No Heals.

If warriors want to overextend and ask for heals when I'm getting cc'd/stunned/silenced by the other team and can't move to heal said warrior, then this would apply.

Good list, Hectyr, made me laugh!
    the term peeling existed before Rift did, so if anything a surge in the popularity of the phrase

"Trolling" - apparently it's all of the following
    • Posting to incite disruption
    • Spamming
    • Being a loud illiterate pleb
    • Being mildly annoying
    • Playing something mildly irritating
    • Saying something slightly disagreeable
    • Playing in a considerably effective manner
    • Posting le funny me-me pictures lolxDDDDD
    stormhak stormbar stormkvinde kagestorm stormelver

Quote Originally Posted by micshaz View Post
    the term peeling existed before Rift did, so if anything a surge in the popularity of the phrase
    I know you're right. I'm just saying I started saying it on the forums lately...no peels = no heals and people have picked up on it.
    Nurse on Faeblight ~ GL of Philanthropy
    www.philanthropy-community.com
    Quote Originally Posted by MickNico View Post
    CQ needs a enema.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaramuccia View Post
    Don't worry, I'm just trying out my new forum PvP macro. It's all good.

Default ,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Mire View Post
    i think it's something to do with foreskin although i'm not completely sure either
    ur all foreskin bro

Soulwalker

"L2P"- Harsh criticism from so-called "hardcore" players that have little to no patience in dealing with casual/newer players (regardless of the fact that this & other games need those to comprise a large playerbase.) Envy these folks, as they obviously have no real obligations in life that hamper their gametime.

As one of those 'casual/newer players, whose actually visiting the forums in the hopes of finding out what the hell it is I'm supposed to be doing in WFs so as to at least be able to go through the proper motrions so I won't have to listening to the L2P/whining, I thank you. It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

The rest of the post is not only funny, but makes more sense than anything else I've read in these forums so far.

A concern troll is a false flag, pseudonym created by a user whose actual point of view is opposed to the one that the user claims to hold. The concern troll posts in Web forums devoted to its declared point of view and attempts to sway the group's actions or opinions while claiming to share their goals, but with professed "concerns".

The willingness of how some Internet users go to extreme lengths to participate in organized psychological harassment, they want it to kick off, they want to promote antipathetic emotions of disgust and outrage, which morbidly gives them a sense of pleasure.

Difficulty inherent in monitoring trolling and maintaining freedom of speech in online communities: "harassment often arises in spaces known for their freedom, lack of censure, and experimental nature". Free speech may lead to tolerance of trolling behavior.

all in wiki and other sources
    Last edited by Dee Dee; 04-30-2014 at 04:17 AM.

Ascendant

And here i thought i would have upset enough players by now to earn my own name as a glossary term.

You do realize im actually Majorin and i trolled everyone about warriors.

...maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    And here i thought i would have upset enough players by now to earn my own name as a glossary term.

You do realize im actually Majorin and i trolled everyone about warriors.

...maybe.
    you said once to never judge a person because of the ability to play a game.

Basically, the intent of the original post was to provide some relief from too much negativity prevalent on these forums lately. Call it "trolling" if you must.

I don't see why so many harsh words are targeted towards the developers & other players in these channels & in game simply when those people, although certainly allowed to have an opinion or request, feel the need to drive it home with venomous delivery. "Daglar I want this...", "CQ premades suck...", "This player sucks because of...", etc is just getting reeeeally old. Seems the anonymity provided by pixelized avatars goes both ways, as many playing Rift now seem to forget they're talking to actual human beings.

If I made even one reader stop & smile, or even better- consider that their words in the future will be received MUCH more openly if delivered in a positive fashion- then I'm happy I posted it in the first place.

Oh, and Nurse? Yeah, I understand your battlecry for peeling & complement your attempt to increase teamwork & awareness- just haven't seen it reflected yet in WFs. So keep it up- they will learn eventually.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast