+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: What Class/Role!?!

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default What Class/Role!?!

    Started playing Rift about 2 weeks ago and wanted to make a Character strictly for PVP.

    I enjoy both Melee and Caster play styles.

    What viable Class and builds are good to PvP with?

    Link to builds and guides would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Gunzip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

    It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

  3. #3
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Cleric's and mages both have viable caster and melee specs.
    Twocents@Deepwood

    <Mirage>

    I'm the rainbow ninja

  4. #4
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,331

    Default

    Warlord if you want to do great DPS, have great survivability and prefer to be effective derping with one button.

    Paragon, or Shaman if you want to do elite melee DPS, but you will need healing support.

    Inquisitor, Tempest/Tempagon or Pyro for ranged DPS. Some like Warlock and Necro for this role as well, but I don't find them to be as effective.

    Defiler, Purifier, or Chloromancer for healing

    Bard or Dominator for control/support, Archon and Beastmaster too apparently but I couldn't tell you much about those.

    Paladin/Warlord for tank spec and if you want to be terrible at everything but holding control points

    Any Rogue DPS if you have two X chromosomes and need invisibility to feel like you can leave your spawn point.
    Last edited by Caeus; 04-26-2014 at 08:55 AM.

  5. #5
    Plane Walker Stirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Cleric or rogue.

    Clerics have the widest variety of healing specs and you can truly make a difference in your WF if you're good at least one of them. If you don't feel like healing your way to victory, they have an extremely strong ranged spec (Inq) with good self-healing capabilities, and a slightly squishier melee spec that hits like a semitruck (Shaman.) The ability to switch from healing to DPS or vice versa if the situation calls for it is what makes clerics #1 IMO.

    Rogues are getting the best ST healing soul in the game in patch 2.7 but you'll have to pay for it. Until then, NB and sin stealth make solo queuing on rogue slightly less frustrating than other DPS classes. Especially on Dom maps like Codex or KR Dom. MM is a pretty powerful ranged spec for how mindnumbingly easy it is to play. Bards can do some fluff healing but are primarily useful for their raid buffs (resonance!) & debuffs.

    Just my 2 plat. I can't really rec mage as your first class...it was mine and I ended up main swapping to cleric eventually, so I might be biased. And I have a lvl 60 warrior that I haven't WFed on since the 50-55 bracket so I can't say much about that.
    Stir@Greybriar
    Stirr@Greybriar
    Stirrr@Greybriar
    Stirrrr@Greybriar
    You have sent too many chat messages.

  6. #6
    Ascendant Violacea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,128

    Default

    Ignore outside information and guides, play the game, and figure out what suits you best, then maybe look at guides if you want. Everything is viable. It's pretty simple, do you really need people on the interwebz to tell you exactly what to do in a video game?

    Is there any bit of information you are willing to obtain on your own merit and findings? This is not what builds a solid player. This game needs solid players in it, not followers who don't figure it out themselves. Because this is very easy to figure out on your own. When I gave wizzy advice in eq2 I refused to give cast orders and guides, and rather explained concepts. People ended up much better when they figure out the important stuff, not when it is hand-fed. I am all about the quality player, even if it takes 1 at a time.
    Last edited by Violacea; 04-26-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

  7. #7
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    Ignore outside information and guides, play the game, and figure out what suits you best, then maybe look at guides if you want. Everything is viable. It's pretty simple, do you really need people on the interwebz to tell you exactly what to do in a video game?

    Is there any bit of information you are willing to obtain on your own merit and findings?
    Leveling up 4 different level 60's might take a tad longer than getting some perspective from people who have already played the game for a minute. He/she isn't asking for people on the interwebs to tell them exactly what to do, just seems to be wondering what the more viable options are.

    Don't be so rude to newbies asking questions. ;) I'm sure someone at some point helped you with something you didn't know.
    Twocents@Deepwood

    <Mirage>

    I'm the rainbow ninja

  8. #8
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    This game needs solid players in it, not followers who don't figure it out themselves.
    Just watched the first 15 minutes or so of one of your past streams http://www.twitch.tv/nightmarishx/b/522497000

    You went BD, ran directly into a group of 5+ people then *****ed that your healers weren't keeping up, multiple times. You click you dances (lol). You showed at the end of the 1st WF how you were top DPS and how everyone elses was so low, yet literally all you did the entire WF was use Hundred Blades and Dancing Steel, die, wait for them to come off CD then hop back in and repeat the process. Even at the end, when there was only 1 person anywhere close to you, you still popped Hundred Blades instead of using a ST rotation.

    And you say this game needs more solid players. ;) That's cute.
    Twocents@Deepwood

    <Mirage>

    I'm the rainbow ninja

  9. #9
    Ascendant Gunzip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,070

    Default

    If anyone is clicking abilities in a bladedancer specc, they're seriously doing it wrong, I have about 30 keybinds for bladedancer, I click nothing, and definitely do not keyboard turn or back-pedal. People that pvp as bladedancer need full keybinds, no question about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

    It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

  10. #10
    Ascendant Violacea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DMoney817 View Post
    Just watched the first 15 minutes or so of one of your past streams http://www.twitch.tv/nightmarishx/b/522497000

    You went BD, ran directly into a group of 5+ people then *****ed that your healers weren't keeping up, multiple times. You click you dances (lol). You showed at the end of the 1st WF how you were top DPS and how everyone elses was so low, yet literally all you did the entire WF was use Hundred Blades and Dancing Steel, die, wait for them to come off CD then hop back in and repeat the process. Even at the end, when there was only 1 person anywhere close to you, you still popped Hundred Blades instead of using a ST rotation.

    And you say this game needs more solid players. ;) That's cute.
    The last stream I stopped because I was nodding out in the middle of it. I'm sure my gameplay was stellar. I make my specs based on healers who can perform. I don't do defensive BS. Unfortunately, almost no healers can perform. No reason to not keep a player alive if 3 - 5 DPS are on them. Healers need to heal better. I've played one too, it isn't hard and that cleric felt like a god by the time it was around 40 - 55% max progression.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    If anyone is clicking abilities in a bladedancer specc, they're seriously doing it wrong, I have about 30 keybinds for bladedancer, I click nothing, and definitely do not keyboard turn or back-pedal. People that pvp as bladedancer need full keybinds, no question about it.
    For 10 years I used to point and aim at rapid moving targets. I just don't find any adversity is clicking a tempo. It doesn't delay me at all. They are huge boxes that don't move and the ability that count when combined with them have a 1s GCD, meaning you get an entire 1s to react. That is plenty of reaction time to make a click. Only reason DPS need more keybinds in Rift is because of facing target requirements. If you are a healer you can pretty much key click everything just find. Because hell, in those specs you get 1.5s reaction time. That is more than enough proper reaction time for someone under 50 to react to.
    Last edited by Violacea; 04-26-2014 at 10:46 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

  11. #11
    Ascendant Violacea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DMoney817 View Post

    Don't be so rude to newbies asking questions. ;) I'm sure someone at some point helped you with something you didn't know.
    No, it is not being rude. Nobody at any point helped me with stuff I didn't know. Nor did anyone help me be Eq2 top wizard DPS WW. Not even hyperbole, literally the highest posted damage parses anyone in the entire game was able to display. People and comments like this shouldn't even be on my radar when I've done and proved things regarding ability that the peanut gallery will never accomplish. I get A's and B's in psychology degree courses, you think I need help playing a Rogue/Rift? What a joke.
    Last edited by Violacea; 04-26-2014 at 10:53 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

  12. #12
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    No, it is not being rude. Nobody at any point helped me with stuff I didn't know. Nor did anyone help me be Eq2 top wizard DPS WW. Not even hyperbole, literally the highest posted damage parses anyone in the entire game was able to display. People and comments like this shouldn't even be on my radar when I've done and proved things regarding ability that the peanut gallery will never accomplish. I get A's and B's in psychology degree courses, you think I need help playing a Rogue/Rift? What a joke.
    No one gives a **** about EQ or your grades here, fact is you don't know how to ST BD or when to use your RS CD's, and I'm sure many other things. Your "Highest posted damage parses" were probably padded with AoE, just like how you *****ed at others DPS when all you did was spam Hundred Blades/Dancing Steel, even when just facing 1 target. (Which in case you didn't know, is a dps loss)
    Twocents@Deepwood

    <Mirage>

    I'm the rainbow ninja

  13. #13
    Ascendant Violacea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,128

    Default

    You are right, I have no clue about Rogue. I don't hit my best RS defensive CD with objectives in my hand because that defensive CD will cause you to drop objectives. Also, if that is what you think about the BD cd's, it just shows me you don't know much about the class and timing. An ability that can obtain a result and keep things timed better, is better than screwing up the timing of everything to do something weird just to get the same result. And when healers on your team are fail, well, the best you can do is hop in the mosh pit.

    And I am the clueless one. And of course nobody cares about relevant concepts. This is Rift forums, we do not employ logic and sound correlations. But since you asked, I had top damage parses on ST and AoE. My class was a single target specialty class and there were few Warlocks (the aoe counterpart to my class) who could even topple my aoe capability with a ST class. I have an ego because I earned one. When for years you are one of the games best WW dps'ers, you can talk like it.

    Need to take you off my radar. There are 3 main things in this world that bug me.

    1. Lying straight to me
    2. Assuming my thoughts and actions
    3. being illogical

    You are making strong offenses for all 3. Off my radar now. This is not worth my time when I simply know in a pragmatic sense that you are no good and just upset because I have such differing views than you, on top of styles you can't comprehend.
    Last edited by Violacea; 04-26-2014 at 11:10 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

  14. #14
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    Also, if that is what you think about the BD cd's, it just shows me you don't know much about the class and timing.
    I am confused by this, because from your stream it seems all you can do in BD is spam Hundred Blades and Dancing Steel when they are off CD?

    12324 is hard I guess.
    Last edited by DMoney817; 04-26-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    Twocents@Deepwood

    <Mirage>

    I'm the rainbow ninja

  15. #15
    Ascendant Violacea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,128

    Default

    This just in. D-money sent me a PM and told me I am dumb because I Rift prisoned a warrior about to pull me (while carrying objectives) and had planar vortex up. I was told Planar Vortex breaks Rift Prison. You know, the ability that makes you IMMUNE TO DAMAGE AND BENEFICIAL ABILITIES? Just incase any new Rogues get confused, don't listen to D-money. Planar vortex, nor any damaging ability, will break Rift Prison. Not even a cleanse (immune to beneficial abilities). You have to use a personal break free and that is the only way to escape one. Now seriously guy, stop typing out incorrect mechanics in a thread where people are trying to learn.

    Do any other of you have experience with people telling you that you can't play your class while inadvertently displaying that they don't understand mechanics that have existed in the game for ever 3 years straight? It is very annoying I must say.
    Last edited by Violacea; 04-26-2014 at 11:18 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts