+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Daglar....Guild VS All PvP?

Ascendant

Default Daglar....Guild VS All PvP?

A year ago I created this thread http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...s-all-pvp.html and since then nothing has been done to revive the open-world PvP in this game.

The PvP dailies for open-world consist of stragglers generally wearing PvE gear. You no longer see the top-end raiding guilds participating in raid rift battles against not only the encounters but rival guilds as well.

Stillmoor and Ember Isle had some great PvP action back in the day, and it's no coincidence that most of the top raiding guilds were on PvP servers. It's been a year and a half since cross-faction guilds were announced, and immediately we saw a sharp population decline in the PvP servers. Respected raiding guilds were forced off PvP servers to maintain their recruitment pool, because being able to draw from both Defiant and Guardian factions allowed for a stronger potential roster.

My solution to the decayed open-world system is Guild-VS-All PvP. What does this mean? Players in your guild are generally flagged as friendly, and players outside your guild are generally flagged as enemies. There are a few nuances to be ironed out, and I have a few ideas. An alliance system could be implemented so that players from different guilds can group together in open-world PvP.

Having a Guild-VS-All system also opens up opportunities to implement cross-server wars among different guild alliances. On PvP servers (yes, I guarantee you more people would want to join a PvP server after this) you can designate certain zones and particular areas of these zones to house a reliquary system. I haven't played DAoC but I've heard it's a similar system to a Korean game I played for a while, Aika. The premise is essentially you coordinate your friendly alliance to raid enemy alliances. This can occur on one server for control of minor benefits such as experience/gold/prestige/favor/token gains, in the realm of a few %. There can also be other rewards for the victorious alliances, and even larger possible gains when you cross servers to battle foreign alliances.

Of course, the reliquary system would be a branch far in the future. A great start would be simply getting rid of this two-faction limitation and allow every guild with both defiants and guardians to form their own factions. Maybe you've deemed it too late to fix, Daglar. I don't really know what your thoughts are on open-world PvP, but it's what many of us appreciated greatly from early Rift. Bring it back, better than ever.

...unknown to the elves, the dark lord created one guild to rule them all...

I like the idea in theory.
    in practice, it would be the death of small guilds and the rebirth of zerg guilds.
    one guild would quickly come to dominate through sheer numbers alone, and all the baddies who need to be carried (90% of the rogue population) will quickly jump ship to join the biggest, baddiest guild on the shard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

I agree open world PvP would be nice, the problem is getting started in it. I have played and, even was a GM for a game that had open world PvP. You created your toon, joined a guild of your choosing and, were then part of the associated alliance. Anyone else was an enemy.

All well and good if you knew higher level players BEFORE you created a toon and, joined that guild at a time set up for them to be there to get you through the first 50 levels (equal to about 25 in Rift). If not, you'd never get there, you'd be ganked for the kill count the moment you stepped out of the safe zone.

As a GM, I spent more time jailing gankers in the beginner areas and, teleporting newbies to the first questing area than anything else.

Rift does have PvP shards for that, and even there, though not AS bad, there are certainly gank fests in Freemarch and Silverwood. That is very discouraging to a new player to not be able to do anything to get better gear or to level up because if they leave a small safe zone, they die within 10 steps.

Yes, we'd all like to think players are more mature than to do the gank fest but, the reality is, they aren't and gank fest will happen in open world PvP.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kadeth View Post
    I agree open world PvP would be nice, the problem is getting started in it. I have played and, even was a GM for a game that had open world PvP. You created your toon, joined a guild of your choosing and, were then part of the associated alliance. Anyone else was an enemy.

All well and good if you knew higher level players BEFORE you created a toon and, joined that guild at a time set up for them to be there to get you through the first 50 levels (equal to about 25 in Rift). If not, you'd never get there, you'd be ganked for the kill count the moment you stepped out of the safe zone.

As a GM, I spent more time jailing gankers in the beginner areas and, teleporting newbies to the first questing area than anything else.

Rift does have PvP shards for that, and even there, though not AS bad, there are certainly gank fests in Freemarch and Silverwood. That is very discouraging to a new player to not be able to do anything to get better gear or to level up because if they leave a small safe zone, they die within 10 steps.

Yes, we'd all like to think players are more mature than to do the gank fest but, the reality is, they aren't and gank fest will happen in open world PvP.
    Sorry, but how do your lowbie-ganking complaints relate at all to the topic?

The few times that I have brought up a free for all, guild/alliance vs all pvp system the reaction has been poor. There are so many advantages to this that I just can't wrap my head around why it never gains traction.
    MMO VAULT (Video Game Music) ➜ https://www.youtube.com/c/VideoGameMusicSoundtrack

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    ...unknown to the elves, the dark lord created one guild to rule them all...

I like the idea in theory.
    in practice, it would be the death of small guilds and the rebirth of zerg guilds.
    one guild would quickly come to dominate through sheer numbers alone, and all the baddies who need to be carried (90% of the rogue population) will quickly jump ship to join the biggest, baddiest guild on the shard.
    Whilst I can understand that that would happen in MMO's now days with how majority of the genre gamers think and play now, but, that never was really the case back in older MMO days with Guilds.

Wasn't always the big guilds if at all, that were the threat with PvP open world. Usually the proper small guilds designed purely for PvP purpose. Then again, it's candy land now days for gamers and everything is given to them on.

Back on topic though, the idea is good.. Wish more things like this were implemented. To be honest, I hate the idea of factions now days in these MMO's.. I would prefer to just have races that are unique, racial areas and then let guilds and racial wars do the work. Factions is too restricted and basic and just a lazy way of doing things in my view.

This is my opinion though.. Maybe im just more old school.

Ascendant

Too much zerg encouragement imo. I'd rather see smth like this:

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...-pvp-rift.html
    PvP in RIFT is good only @forum.

Ascendant

This would be a great use of development time and resources. It is something that would be far better received than PvP dimensions or a new CQ and would be the best ever PvP content release in Rift.

In some regards I agree with the idea.... but the current open world pvp system is already over-abused. Until they implement a system to deal with gankers, it would just make the game unplayable for low levels. Perhaps give someone a pvp score that increases when they kill a player and decrease when they get killed. and perhaps make it so that they lose a substantial amount of ranking points every time they kill someone more than 5 levels lower than them.

Cross-faction guilds.... is interesting.... don't really know why it was necessary. I mean, I guess one plus side is you could more easily organize an open world skirmish within your own guild for fun.

Perhaps they just need to make some more substantial rewards for open world pvp. As it is, people are pretty content with warfronts for pvp, or fighting with the occasional random person in the open world they encounter... but other than that... the only thing open world pvp has really been good for is for immature lvl 60 kids to make newcomers quit the game by harassing them at spawn points. The other problem is that, like with everything else, if they make more substantial rewards for open world pvp and don't have as much control over the open world, the morally vacant cheaters will find a way to exploit it, i.e. padding their kill count or score by killing alts or friends over and over.
    Last edited by Shellback; 01-25-2014 at 07:04 PM.

I dig this. I could finally have my 1 man guild against the world. It will be like the apocalypse, I will choose my allies 1 by 1 based on stringent requirements.

Each person gets their own unique rank until quota is full. But there is only one Wizard of the Hood.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Yes please would be reason to have some pride in your guilds again

It'll just be a zerg fest. Guilds will mass recruit and smaller guilds just won't do it. Turning conquest into pure PvP is better since there is at least balancing for numbers available. I posted in another thread to just have a CQ sized map, instead of pve capture points, have the score only increase with kills. Add like 3 things to cap that add stats to localize the PvP so it isn't just people running around, but they won't give points.

I understand that u say the smaller guilds won't have a chance but what If they implemented alliances?

Smaller guilds can team up and if they still don't have enough:
    The mercenary system: pay people that aren't in any guild to help you

Goes in line with the lore better too
    RGI@Deepwood --- <-Hello Kitty->
    [A Stick]
    King of Conquest

Honestly if they can somehow implement something that makes us do wpvp. Then that would definitely save the game pvpwise.

if this gets implemented i'm joining sky legend.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast